Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on October 3, 2012
The designers included are: Sigrid Arnott, Dawn Brocco, Elinor Brown, Beth Brown-Reinsel, Lily M Chin, Donna Druchunas, Anne Caroll Gilmour, Jennifer Hansen, Janel Laidman, Elanor Lynn, Helene Magnusson, Heather Ordover, and Lizbeth Upitis.

The book is filled with excellent photographs, including closeups, and most feature a product or item associated with the particular region. (An exception to this is the wooden shipping crate clearly stenciled with Milwaukee, Wisconsin, pictured with hat and gloves from the Aran Islands, which I find curious, although there is, no doubt, an excellent reason for this choice!)

While there are only four actual glove patterns, the fingerless gloves and some of the mittens are ideal candidates for converting to gloves. The hats are mostly in the beanie/cloche style, although there are also berets, and a wonderful British driving cap with coordinating knucks.

To quote Donna Druchunas: "Whether you are looking for an easy project or something more challenging, you'll find patterns in this collection that you'll love to knit and wear."

I've already found some likely candidates!
There are 34 hat and mitten patterns in this book, organized by region--Scandinavia, Europe (including Greece, Britain, The Baltic, The Far East and the Americas (South and North.) Most of the patterns are colorwork; there are some texture or cable stitched patterns as well. If you like colorful hats of all shapes (earflaps, berets, toques, caps with brims) then you're going to like this book. At the cost of knitting patterns today, running an average of about five bucks per pattern, the book is actually a bargain if you like a majority of the patterns. Even if you don't like the colorwork, the shapes can be useful and you can often use them to substitute your own color charts.
on February 23, 2015
Very satisfied with this book. I am making my first set of mittens! My hands are tiny and I expect I should have adjusted needle size. My aim is to make the front cover mittens. I have made plenty of hats and I already know I need adjustment. For those who need to know I wear a women's small size glove and hat and still need to knit tightly or go down on needle size for proper fit. I was hoping for a traditional "cuffed" wrist but found these patterns gorgeous!

Good luck knitting!
on December 18, 2013
This book has a very detailed section in the beginning with instruction on colorwork, stitches used and correcting mistakes. There are some beautiful patterns in the book! I plan on knitting the mittens on the cover after the holidays!

I have been looking a countless 'colorwork' books and settled on this one... the patterns are well documented and there are a lot of pictures. ...it is really a beautiful book, nice paper and binding!
on September 1, 2012
I just received this book and i really like what i've seen this far! There is a lot of REALLY nice mittens and hats patterns from all around the world.

I love to knit mittens! And i have a lot of experience.
I don't think it a good mitten book for beginners, because Its not any how-to guide, there is just a lot of patters which is exactly what I was looking for.

I've would recommend this book for those of you who love mittens and are looking for new inspiration and new patterns. Some of this designs are really pretty and modern, and I can't wait to get started on a new project!
on February 19, 2013
This book is just full of beautiful and inspiring projects, and clear instructions on the techniques needed to make them. I knit a lot of mittens, and this year am hoping to work my way straight through the offerings here. Pages are nicely laid out, plenty of white space, clean font, clear photos and diagrams. I'm very glad I bought this.
on September 3, 2015
I'm knitting the Fence line Cap and Gloves (really mittens) p. 119. The chart is great for the hat, but lacks asterisks for thumb increases, even though the text indicates that they're specially placed to maintain color pattern continuity. Awww... I do like the four-color chain, though.
on September 18, 2015
Nice sets of hats and mittens, the hats are wearable, not the weird ones one sometimes sees in other hat books. This is a useful volume with very attractive patterns.
on March 24, 2016
I have always wanted to learn how to knit mittens and hats. Can't wait to try it out. :)
on December 28, 2013
If you are a knittiing enthusiast you will find this book both interesting and challenging. If you are tired of the same old basic patterns you will find a fun project here.