Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,174 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,837 reviews
on January 22, 2017
Here's my review on one of the three books that I've read by Maya Angelou:

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings:
Smiling Through Sadness

Maya Angelou’s first memoir, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, captures the sweetest, purest, and the most honest inner voice of a black child who grew up to be a heroine. Dr. Angelou does not censor anything; She wants us to know it all. It is so true, straightforward, and uncensored that many white parents have attempted to ban this book from schools. This memorable and mysterious autobiography - originally published in 1969 - was followed by another masterpiece entitled: Gather Together In My Name. Both books are available in audio format recorded by Random House Audio. It is amazing that we can hear Dr. Angelou reading her own books to us just like a grandmother putting us to sleep with her adventurous bed-time stories.
Dr. Maya Angelou, who has been honored and awarded numerous times, is a pure soul writing about the evil world of the racist America keeping a matching voice on each chapter of her life. When she is writing about her experiences as a five-year-old, you hear a five-year-old talking to you. Being one of the most recognized public figures and a civil rights movement’s heroine, Maya Angelou, gives us a poetic journey of how a poor disadvantaged black girl was rejected by everyone including her own mother, raped by her mother’s boyfriend, and had to witness his crippled uncle hiding under a pile of onions and potatoes to be protected from racist white beasts on a regular basis. The good news is that the story of I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings does not end here. This bird sings her heart out until the cage breaks and she becomes our national treasure.
This powerful modern American classis has changed many readers’ (and listeners’) hearts and minds in a way that every great work of literature should. This book became the best-seller immediately after it was published. What added to my personal itch to read this book when I was first introduced to it was the fact that Dr. Angelou has described William Shakespeare as one of her strongest influence on her life and works. Shakespeare is my all-time favorite “pennist.”
Buy it, read it, keep it, reread it, highlight it, talk about it, advertise it, buy more of it and give it out as a gift, learn from it, and apply what you’ve learned from it in your daily life. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is coming from a heart and soul of someone who had to witness the unnecessary, harsh, and brutal insults that no ordinary human being can bear. Maya Angelou writes the story of a human who was pushed to her limits by the ugliness of this world and while being in a saddest cage, sang the happiest song. Once precious Maya Angelou told her younger generation that seem to be unable to cope with the racism in the past and present:
“You should be angry. You must not be bitter. Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. It doesn’t do anything to the object of its displeasure. So use that anger. You write it. You paint it. You dance it. You march it. You vote it. You do everything about it. You talk it. Never stop talking it.”
on September 20, 2017
Our parents or guardians try to teach us right from wrong. However most of the time we don't want to listen. Seems like Maya Angelou listened and learn a great deal from the people in her life.

Good read
on September 16, 2017
A wonderful read. Amazing writing. Drew me totally in. Tears and laughter and even a giggle or two but enlightenment was the reward.
on March 27, 2017
An American Classic. This book is beautifully written by one of America's most adored women. It should be required reading for all high-school students.
on May 22, 2017
MAYA ANGELOU!!
One of the few SPECIAL SOULS that come across this planet !!🌎
on September 19, 2017
This book provides the reader with a well written and honest autobiography that I enjoyed reading. I would recommend this book as an excellent and interesting portrayal of a life of struggle and victory.
on June 5, 2017
Great book!! Must read, you could learn some life lessons from her!!
on February 3, 2017
Just have to read it to believe it! We miss her. She was a true American treasure and I hope its Maya that becomes the first African American on our currency! I surely miss her but she lives from page 1 of this book!
on February 21, 2015
I was supposed to read this book when I was in high school, but I did not like reading... I felt reading was to still and found stillness boring .... Over ten years later, I've found myself embracing stillness and reading... Maya Angelou took me way back in time and vividly made me feel, smell, taste, see, and hear her experiences. Always having such admiration for her wisdom and poetry I have a clearer understanding of the song of the caged bird....
on May 17, 2017
I read this book many years ago; it just gets better with time.