Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 29, 2011
We recently purchased this camera for our Disney Cruise. Our seven year old son was scheduled to snorkle with stingrays on Castaway Cay and we wanted to capture that experience. We were able to take photos and video of him with the stingrays, some of it underwater. The camera took clear pictures and video. The only drawback was it is hard to see the screen (so you know what you are photographing) and there is no viewfinder but that problem was easily outweighed by the price. We are very pleased with our purchase!
2323 comments| 315 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 10, 2011
If you're looking for a simple point-and-shoot that you can take underwater, this camera is great.

Let me begin by explaining that I am an avid photographer; I have over $10,000 in high end DSLR equipment and lenses. I have over 20,000 photos in my collection. I know something about photography.

I recently went on a sailing vacation with my family and wanted a simple digital camera to take in the water. I wasn't looking for something high-end because all i really wanted to do was shoot pics of my kids snorkeling and scuba diving. I didn't want a disposable because they aren't digital, you usually have to wind them which is a real pain in the water, and they shoot poor pictures. My wife bought me a $500 top-of-the-line underwater point-and-shoot Panasonic Lumix but I took it back because it was overkill. It was waterproof to 40 feet, had an altimeter, etc -- I didn't need all that. I found this Kodak camera and it was perfect. It worked great -- we took on jet skis, on snorkeling trips, and down to 11 feet underwater scuba diving. It never had an issue -- it started up quickly, operated simply and reliably, and the photos are just fine. Frankly, the videos are even better -- I was surprised at good they are! Of course, the photos don't compare to my $2,000 Nikon DSLR, but I wasn't expecting them to. I just wanted a camera that could capture some of the memories of the water fun on our sailing trip, and this did it.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1616 comments| 616 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 31, 2011
 Have only had this a couple of weeks but this camera is turning out to be great for the pool.

A great price for a camera I can re-use and not have to worry about getting wet.
Takes great pics in/under the water and you can also record videos (no zoom when in video mode).
When turning on it is ready to take pictures very quickly.
So far it has not eaten batteries, which is good because it does not appear to turn off automatically.
Has other modes if you want to use the camera for more than taking pictures in the water but we have not really tried them out.

Soon, I am going to attempt to upload a video taken in our pool. Also, wanted to add one great thing about this camera - we left it out side overnight and it rained. It was really a relief to know that my camera didnt get ruined simply because I forgot to bring it in after swimming!

Kids are having a great time using this camera, so much so I may have to go ahead and pick up a 2nd one! It is really holding up to being roughly handled.

added a very short clip of my dog. my son uses the camera 1st above the water then underneath and then above again. I have also noticed that when in video mode, the camera is picking up sound underwater! it's pretty cool, I wasn't expecting that.
1111 comments| 232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 29, 2011
I bought this camera specifically for a trip to Cabo. It took some good pictures on my fishing trip but water penetrated the body in 2 feet of water later. I have never written a review on Amazon but was moved to do so by my experience with this camera. I was able to access the pictures from my card after drying it but the camera is now worthless. This camera may be okay if you treat it as "water resistant" but I would not submerge it.
1010 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 22, 2011
 This video was recorded as I snorkeled over a reef just off Kaanapali Beach, a few hundred yards north of our hotel (Honua Kai)- not the nicest reef by far, but this video should demonstrate the camera's surprisingly good capabilities, especially considering the low price. It was late afternoon and the water was a bit murky, and I was surprised how well the video came out. I have uploaded the raw avi file (66.9 MB; 44 seconds). This camera shoots VGA (640x480). Amazon processing reduced the resolution and quality, although it still looks fairly faithful to what I uploaded. Although I read reports of this camera failing rapidly underwater, ours did not present any problems after spending many hours underwater. It appears just about all the underwater cameras have about a 10-20 per cent failure rate based on rates in reviews here on Amazon. So, I decided not to risk $200-300 on a more expensive underwater camera, as they seemed no more reliable. The camera is fixed focus but seems to have enough depth of field to present sharp pictures. Note that the fixed focus offers an advantage with snapshots - shutter delay is VERY short.
review image
66 comments| 387 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 15, 2017
It's ok. Waterproof for sure, but the photo quality isn't amazing. We got it for our honeymoon in Maui. Took pics of sea turtles and in the pool. It was fun & I'm glad to have had it, but I'm sure there are better options out there by now (bought in 2011).
I can't recall now what modes I shot in, but I found one better than the other. We also were in the water at a time when there's a green tint due to some stuff floating around (again I don't remember what it's called-but it makes the water not so clear). I do remember the quality outside the water at a distance wasn't great. But it's ok for under water. I've attached some photos so you can see for yourself.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on February 4, 2012
Hoped for an inexpensive camera to use while snorkeling on vacation. Got a few shots, but stopped working the second day in the water. Very difficult to see the view screen or see to change settings while in the water. Had to just point the camera and hope. Did get a few fun shots, but the quality of the photos is pretty poor. (May not have had the settings correct, because of the difficulty in seeing the view screen in sun and in water.) I returned the camera and kudos to Amazon for easy return. Well, it made it worth a try, but will try another camera for my next adventure!
on July 23, 2011
I am not a photo pro. I am a mother and I take pictures all the time. I wanted a new camera with greater megapixels so I could crop my pictures. I needed something durable and waterproof as my child is very active. this camera was so cute and it can use rechargable AA bateries so I fell for it. Wow, what aweful pictures. Indoor pictures were dark and grainy,as the flash only hit one small target and the rest was black. Out door pictures were blurry as the subjects are moving and this sport camera does not come with image stabilization. I want a refund right away. Returned this camera.
on August 4, 2013
I am an advanced photographer, BUT I bought this camera for my five year old. She not only learned how to use it easily, but it takes really nice photos, the quality is vastly superior to any KIDS Camera. And, as an added bonus, it is waterproof.
on March 12, 2017
After a while, you cant hear your videos that you record. good for pictures tho