Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak Ektar 100 Professional ISO 100, 35mm, 36 Exposures, Color Negative Film
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

on February 16, 2010
I remember how excited I was a couple of years ago when I found out that Kodak was going to release a NEW film. That excitement has definitely been justified.

Ektar 100 captures absolutely beautiful pictures. The grain is razor sharp and the colors are incredible. It has a unique look to it, which I've never seen with any other film (or digital for that matter). The colors are vibrant and saturated, especially red and blue. It's one of my favorite color films now. It's perfect for landscape and architectural photos, or any pictures where you really want the colors to "pop." If you take a picture of something red contrasting against the blue sky, it really jumps...much more so than I've seen with any other film.

Every film has its own unique characteristics and has a certain look. I like using Ektar for when I want kind of a "fresh" vibrant look to pictures, if that makes sense.

I've used Ektar in both 35mm and 120 size rolls.

The only minor complaint I have about Ektar is that it's extremely unforgiving with exposure. This is definitely NOT a film for beginners. It's very picky about exposure, and doesn't handle underexposure well at all. If you underexpose it, you will get some pretty weird color shifts and everything will have kind of a bluish tint. BUT if you use a light meter and you're careful about the exposure, you will get absolutely amazing pictures.

I also recommend that you get your pictures printed (on REAL silver halide photographic paper, not ink jet!) Ektar looks its best in prints, and scans displayed on a computer screen just don't do it justice.
44 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2011
Since its introduction by Kodak, Ektar 100 has been frequently compared to slide film. While these comparisons are not entirely unwarranted given Ektar's fine grain, saturated colors and heightened contrast, in my opinion it is far from a replacement for slide film as many claim it is.

Given the increasing scarcity of labs offering E6 processing and the rising costs of the process and films, the demand for a C41 film with similar characteristics to slide film has been steady building up. Kodak has been discontinuing their slide film range, and revamping their color negative lineup with updated films like the new Portra 400 and 160. Ektar is Kodak's attempt to address the growing demand for an inexpensive and easily processed alternative to slide film (something they are clear about in their literature).

While the colors captured by Ektar are very pleasantly saturated and punchy, they are a markedly different palette from the colors of films like Velvia 50 or 100, Provia 100F or even Astia 100F. The same goes for latitude or dynamic range. Ektar features more contrast than the average color negative film, but still has significantly more latitude than slide film. These differences in color and contrast do not make any of these films better than the others, it just means that depending on what sort of visual quality a photographer is going for one film may be more suitable than the other.

One of the areas in which Ektar shines is for long-exposure images in high contrast situations such as urban night scenes. Slide films such as Provia 100F have excellent reciprocity characteristics, but can be difficult to work with due to the very wide range of tones in such scenes and the limited latitude of the film. Ektar is able to deliver saturated and contrasty images while retaining a great amount detail in the highlights. The wider latitude of Ektar compared to slides is great for situations where lighting is harsh or precision metering is not practical, though the film does have a bit less latitude than other color negative films such as Portra 400.

In conclusion, this is a great slow speed film for a wide range of subjects, just don't expect to get the same image characteristics as slide film.
on January 17, 2013
If you're still shooting 35mm, which some of us are, this film is an excellent choice. I've used a lot of different films over the years, and for a long time was loyal to Fuji.

But this Ektar 100, it's just so nice I'm won back to Kodak.

36 shots for approximately $5 is pretty standard, but for the quality of film, that's a pretty good deal.

As far as my experience with the film: I've used it in my Olympus XA with lovely results, but where I really love it is in panoramic use in my Horizon 202. Gorgeous landscape and architecture colors. Portraits are really nice, but I don't shoot a huge amount of those. Great for the outdoors because it's a 100 speed, but as long as you're fine stabilizing for long exposures indoors, you'll get good results.

Tones are slightly warm, but very balanced. Colors are all-around great.

Clarity and grain is really smooth, really sharp.

If you want to do high-resolution scanning, this is a great film also.

The bottom line is: if you want to shoot film, but you're not interested in the overdone Lomo-style colors and effects, you will probably like Kodak's Ektar 100.
on November 10, 2010
My digital camera decided to break down on me, at the same time I was asked to take photos at an out door concert. So I pulled out my old film camera, and ordered some Kodak film from Amazon. After the shoot, I took my film to be transferred on to disc so I could edit them in Photoshop. When I first viewed the pics in Photoshop, I was truly amazed at how vibrant the color is and the over all depth in each photo. I think I will use this camera more often and not just as a back up.
on May 9, 2010
This film is amazing. If you are shooting with a model or doing formal pix this is the film for you. Here are some suggestions to milk this for all its worth: When you get this developed tell them NO corrections (I ask for a photo cd and edit myself if needed or just use a film scanner) and make sure the sun isn't covered by clouds or you will dull the colors...
on November 21, 2015
It's a good film but be aware that color saturation can be high. I personally prefer Portra 160 most most uses due to it's higher latitude and less saturated tones. When the subject and exposures are correct, this film can shine.

I've included two sample images, taken by myself with this film.
review image review image
on April 30, 2015
I have been taking photographs with good quality cameras for over 40 years. I got started when I was in the Army. I stopped using film cameras until recently. I got reintroduced to film photography seeing how cheap I could get outstanding quality film cameras these days. I picked up the Minolta Maxxum 7000 and four lenses for less than $100.00.

I shot a roll of Ektar 100 and sent it to Walmart for developing. They sent me back photos and a CD with the images on them. I put some of these up on Flikr:

I tell my friends to go out and buy film cameras while they are still so inexpensive. Does it really make for someone who mostly uses their phone to take photos to leave a $1500 digital camera in the drawer. Doesn't it make more sense to buy a high quality film camera and some good lenses and use film for those occasions where you want better than phone quality? Film will provide more tonality than digital. I have both digital and film now. There are reasons to use both. For color, Ektar is my favorite film.
on December 1, 2014
Worked great! Picture quality is superb! Just wish it would make miracles with my photography skills
review image
on March 23, 2015
I like slide film better but Ektar is cheap and easy to get a hold of. I only give it 4/5 because of the way it renders shadows. Slide film is much smoother shadow tones - Ektar gets really grainy in shadows, while slides tend to just gradient to a solid black. This is good for SLR film cameras, if your using a cheap automatic film camera use the cheaper fuji Superia instead. Don't use cheap grocery store labs to process Ektar, send it to a real lab online and the results you get will be way better. It's good film if you know what you are doing.
on March 26, 2012
Back in the 80's and 90's I shot Ektar when I could get my hands on it and the results were great. Then my camera died and then life got in the way so I stopped shooting. Now that I have a selection of "good" cameras I started shooting every Kodak film I could get my hands on.

The first time I tried Ektar 100 I was disappointed with the results, I have every bad thing that you read about Ektar doing happen to me and I just decided to move on to another film. A few weeks later I noticed that a roll of film I had shot looked different than I was used to and when I asked at the place I got my processing done they told me that they had the machine software updated so I had another roll of Ektar and decided to try it again. WOW! What a difference that made. I shoot a mix of Portra, UltraMAX, Tmax and TriX but now Ektar is in my Rotation a lot more than I would have ever thought it would be. Super fine grain and great color. No one has mentioned this, but Ektar stomps digital with it's ability to go from camera to print without a stop in Photoshop for correction.

I have used Ektar in bright sun, with flash, and in the evening without flash with no problems these days. This film can do really great things.