Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak GC135-24-4H Gold Max 400 Speed 24 Exposure 35mm Film - 4 Pack
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on January 15, 2001
When I first started doing more serious photography, I went to this old and time-tested reserve, Kodak Max 400. The results, I'm sad to say, were a bit disappointing. The pictures were just too grainy (too many apparent dots in the photo). If you don't know what alternatives are available, it is good enough for your typical snapshot, but I think all of us can do a little better.
As you are probably aware, film comes in various "speeds," which allow you to shoot in differing light conditions. The higher the number, the less light needed. Thus, 100 film often requires bright outdoor sunlight, whereas 400 and 800 film is used for indoor or "high speed" (sports) photography. The problem with high-speed film, however, is that it is grainy. In order to get the film to react more quickly to light, the film needs to use larger silver crystals. Result? Your pictures will tend to be comprised of "dots" rather than smoother blends of color.
Despite improvements from 400 and 800 films of the past, Kodak's current low-end consumer film (i.e. Kodak Max) still suffers from excessive graininess. With everyone switching to 4x6 and 5x7 prints nowadays, pictures shot on these low-end consumer films will often still show "dots" when observed up close. If you want pictures to be treasured for years to come, do you really want dots?
The solution I found was Kodak's Royal Gold series, and Amazon to my delight recently started carrying this line of film. Unlike Max 400, Royal Gold 400 has a remarkably small grain size, offering you the best of both worlds -- sharpness and speed. It is a real shame that more consumers don't know about Kodak's Royal Gold line of film. I would expect that most people normally buy the Gold (low speed 100 or 200) or Max (high speed 400 or 800) series of film simply because it is the only type of film sold in nonspecialty stores. Don't -- it's a mistake. "Royal Gold," even though a little more expensive, is much better, and you will certainly appreciate the difference in quality.
on June 19, 2000
This film is really great. I was outside taking a picture of my friends at night, and the flash on my camera didn't go off, but the picture still came out. I was amazed and happy. I am very satisfied with this product. :)
on August 21, 2008
I used this film recently on a trip and it worked fine. The grain was acceptably small. But I shot it with the camera set to ISO 300 rather than 400. The grain was not large when shot this way.
The grains that catch the darker colors on films are larger than the ones that catch the light shades. So if you shoot with the ISO set a half stop down you will always get smaller grain in your shots. It may just be that the Kodak Max 400 is not very close to being a true 400 ISO and that the Kodak Royal and Fuji Superia 400 is. So if shot at 400 particularly if the camera meters off a bit the result can be grainy because mostly the most light sensitive large grains are activated. But if shot at ISO 300 Kodak Max works fine in a pinch.
Not all cameras will let you adjust the ISO film speed setting. But if yours does try shooting all your film at a half stop lower and you should get better results across the board.
on November 9, 2015
As usual the film did a great job in capturing images on our vacation! The colors were perfect and were as close to what I saw as possible. I will continue to use this film for all of my picture taking and it is better than digital images in that I don't have to do any manipulation using a computer program, the film already gives the depth and colors exactly as the image was seen.
on June 1, 2013
So she uses the film. She loves it. Of course it's easier for
her than trying to figure out some new-fangled too-many-bells-and-whistles
digital camera. So we keep ordering her film from Amazon since we can't get what she
wants for a decent price locally.
on June 11, 2016
This is the film delivered to me. However, what was delivered to me was EXPIRED film. "Develop before 04/2005." That may excite some people and I even like to experiment and see what results I get from expired film but the description did not mention this. This is not exactly what I was expecting and NOT what I ordered. I can buy 35mm expired film for $0.49 - $0.99 per 24 exp roll at a nearby unclaimed baggage store if that's what I wanted.
on January 5, 2008
Like it says on the box, this is a versatile film, able to adapt to various light conditions and temperatures. Kodak is the leader in film and this is a quality product.
Based on recommendations from photographer friends, I take my film to a reputable processor and the pictures come out beautifully every time, a testament to the film and the developer.
Of course, the higher priced Royal Gold is better but you get what you pay for...and Gold 400 does its job well.
on December 25, 2014
I have used this film in the past and found it to be fantastic. Occasionally I would be some place where I didn't want to use the flash and the picture was still beautiful without the brightness in the center fading out to nothing on the edges. Far superior to flash pictures at a distance of more than 4 feet.
on November 22, 2013
The product picture is a bit misleading, you get Kodak Ultramax 400(pretty much what is in the word description.) Kodak Ultramax is a great all round film. It does well for all your basic photography needs. It handles still photos well and action the same. The colors are quite good, but being 400 iso it can come out a little grainy in some situations, usually it is fine though. If you are doing more indoor shooting and more still photography I would recommend a 200 iso Kodak film. Overall a great product from Kodak. It carries on the legacy of great photographic products from Kodak.
on February 22, 2001
Skip this one and get either: Kodak Royal Gold 400 or Fuji Superia 400. If you settle for this film you are going to possibly compromise your photo shot.