Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Red (2nd Generation)
|Flash Memory Type||Micro SD|
|Special Feature||digital-camera, submersible, hd-movie, in-camera-editing, audio recording|
|Screen Size||2 Inches|
|Camcorder type||Video Camera|
|Included Components||KODAK PLAYSPORT Video Camera / Zx5; Adapter and cable for battery charging; Wrist strap; User Guide; ARCSOFT MEDIA IMPRESSION Software for Kodak and KODAK Share Button App (both on-camera, PC only) See more|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p|
About this item
- Shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof up to 10 ft
- Kodak's Share button lets you choose your favorite sharing destination, e-mail address, or Kodak Pulse Display
- Full 1080p HD videos and 5 MP HD stills, with auto focus
- Get sharper videos and less blur thanks to built-in digital image stabilization
- On-camera editing
Customers also search
Product comes as-is (and is in great condition). No returns.
Compare with similar items
| || |
Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Aqua (2nd Generation)
Kodak PlayTouch Video Camera (Black)
kimire Video Camera Camcorder Digital Camera Recorder Full HD 1080P 15FPS 24MP 3.0 Inch 270 Degree Rotation LCD 16X Digital Zoom Camcorder Camera with 2 Batteries(Black)
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||good_stuff_||Mister B Enterprises||Woerni|
|Screen Size||2 inches||2 inches||3 inches||3 inches|
|Media Type||SD Card||SD Card||Flash card||SD Card|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p||1080p||1080p||1080p; FHD 1920x1080(15fps), HD 1280x720(30fps),640x480(30fps)|
What's in the box
If you're going to live with no limits, you need a pocket video camera that can deliver the goods in full 1080p HD. The Kodak PlaySport Video Camera is up for the challenge. We built it to take on the most extreme lifestyles with an insanely tough design – we're talking shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof to a depth of 10 feet. And built-in image stabilization smoothes out even the roughest ride. Whether you're carving up the mountain or pulling stunts in the skate park, the PlaySport is up for anything. And with a touch of the Share button, shocking your social network couldn't be simpler. Show the world why you're so Kodak. We dare you.
From the Manufacturer
Takes an impact. Makes an impact—in full HD.
Share your most extreme moments simply. The Kodak PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5 delivers full 1080p HD with a rugged design that's shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof up to 10 ft underwater.
If you're going to live with no limits, you need a digital video camera that can deliver the goods in full 1080p HD. The Kodak PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5 is up for the challenge. We built it to take on the most extreme lifestyles with an insanely tough design—we're talking shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof to a depth of 10 ft. And built-in image stabilization smooths out even the roughest ride. Whether you're carving up the mountain or pulling stunts in the skate park, the PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5 is up for anything. And with a touch of the Share button, shocking your social network couldn't be simpler. Show the world why you're So Kodak. We dare you.
Go anywhere, do anything, fearless design
- Take the plunge up to 10 ft under water for up to 2 hours
- Don't get the blues—underwater white balance mode gives true-to-life colors in the pool or under the waves
- The muddiest, dustiest, sandiest conditions are no match for the PlaySport's rugged design
- Bumps and bruises go with the territory—the PlaySport can even take a fall from 5 ft
Just press to impress
The world's only cameras with 3-step sharing!1
Kodak's Share button makes sharing your videos and pictures as simple as 1, 2, 3.
- Step 1—Just press Share when in review mode
- Step 2—Choose your favorite sharing destination, e-mail address, or Kodak Pulse Display2
- Step 3—Connect your camera to your computer or insert your memory card and your videos or pictures are automatically uploaded to the destination(s)
- Let you simultaneously share to multiple social networks, e-mail and Pulse Display1,2
- Automatically share when you connect to a PC1
- Tag to the largest number of social networks: Kodak Gallery, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, FLICKR, ORKUT, YANDEX, and KAIXIN0011,3
- Full 1080p high definition captures your adventures in amazing detail
- Easily switch to still camera mode to catch 5 MP, 16:9 widescreen HD still pictures
- 1080p—great for stunning playback on your HDTV—HDMI cable included!
- 720p at 60 fps—for fast action and super slow motion playback
- 720p at 30 fps—ideal for general recording in high definition
- WVGA—perfect for conserving space on your memory card or smaller files sizes for web use
- Get sharper videos and less blur thanks to built-in digital image stabilization
- Capture your friends in their best light with smart face tracking technology—the camera detects and locks onto faces, then ensures great exposure around them
- Get great close-up shots with macro mode (automatic detection or user selectable)
- See more details and accurate colors with incredible low-light performance
- There's always room for more—record up to 10 hours of HD video with expandable SD/SDHC card slot (up to 32 GB) 4
- The bright 2.0 in. LCD automatically adjusts to the lighting conditions around you
- See your screen even in ultra-bright sunlight—simply turn on the LCD Glare Shield feature
- Trim your video to just the right moment and save it as a new video
- Make a picture from a video frame
- Black and white
- High saturation—bright, bold colors
- '70s film—muted colors, slightly greenish cast, and a little graininess for a retro look
Download the software when you first connect it to your computer5 to:
- Edit and trim videos
- Add a voice-over to narrate your footage
- Add pictures and music to your videos to make cool mashups
- Grab and edit still images from video frames to get that perfect shot
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Soft rubberized feel for a secure grip
- Rounded ergonomic design
- HDMI port gives you the option to debut your videos in full glory on your HDTV6
- It doesn't matter if you own a MAC or a PC—the Kodak PlaySport is compatible with both
- The optional remote control makes it easy to comfortably enjoy your videos and pictures
- Kodak PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5
- Adapter and cable for battery charging
- Wrist strap
- User Guide
- ARCSOFT MEDIA IMPRESSION Software for Kodak and Kodak Share Button App (both on-camera, PC only)
- All models of digital still and video cameras manufactured in 2011 or later.
- Kodak Pulse Display and Kodak Gallery support still pictures; video not supported.
- Sharing sites vary by region.
- Record about 20 min per 1 GB at 720p HD at 30 fps. Actual results may vary.
- On-board software for PC only.
- HDMI cable is an optional accessory.
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The one thing this camera does well is take video at 30 fps in full light situations. That is all.
As a movie camera. It worked well on all but one setting, the 720p at 60 fps. I would say 1 out of 4 videos I shoot at this setting have serious problems. For about 1 out of 4 videos, playback of the videos suffer from a weird choppy accelerated mode. It is not my computer, or tv, as I have tested them on many devices. This acceleration also throws off the audio sync. Audio and video for one of these videos is at least 1-5 seconds off.
I paired the camera with a brand name 32 gig SD memory card. I thought maybe the card was causing the problems. For the about 6 hours of video I shot,, maybe 50 videos so far, I did have one error that stated it could not record due to memory card write speed. And yes, this may be the problem. However, I have tested the read/write of the SD card on my PC with no problems, and have never had a problem with media keeping up with the source. Its always been the source that's the problem, in my experience. I believe this to be true with this camera as well.
The movies in the other modes was smooth and went as it should.
Picture quality. Great in bright outdoor sun. Falls off quickly at dusk, may as well be a webcam circa 2002 at night. Generally would not use it indoors unless the lighting is very good. As other reviewers have said, low light the camera is just not very good.
As a still camera. Terrible. If you are shooting in anything other than bright sunlight, your picture will probably be blurry. If its even a little dark, the picture quality will also suffer big time. And here's the kicker that really turned me against the camera... in full sunlight, the only situation the camera takes really good pictures, about half the time, when you push the button to take the picture the camera will take 1-6 seconds to auto adjust to the light levels and focus. Its unbelievably annoying to "take" a picture...then wait and wait not knowing when the camera is actually going to TAKE the picture. There were a number of times I took a picture, and then just quit and put the thing away after waiting god knows how long for the camera to actually take the picture.
Lastly, the waterproof quality. I would say it worked well. I didn't have any leaks. However, we used this once in the ocean, salt water. As recommended, we rinsed it immediately after getting out of the water. However, it was too late. The water got into the latch (as it is designed to, that part isn't waterproof). But when the water evaporated, leaving the salt, it completely jammed up the latch mechanism that opens the door to the memory card. I tried a number of ways to clean it and get the latch to work, the only way that worked was to literally take the door apart and clean it to get it to work. Frustrating and annoying.
Overall, if you want a cheap waterproof video camera for a vacation to a sunny place, this should work for you. Stay away from 60 fps, if you bring it in salt water open the doors and rise out the latches immediately as well. If you want good still pictures, bring a separate still camera with you.
If it weren't for the price, I'd give this product 2 stars.
So far I do not have any complaints with respect to the reason I purchased the camera. It is still working good and has stood up well being out on the dusty ball field filming. I have also used it on a couple of other occasions and it has performed well.
I took it to a couple of concerts and film a view clips of the performers. It functions ok in this setting. The sound at the concert easily overwhelmed the microphone and you did not get good sound reproduction. Though this was entirely within my expectation....I as not expecting to get great sound out of it, but just enough to share some of the experience with some friends and it accomplished that task.
The zoom is also limited and so some of those concert shots are not the best (as well as limited lighting) but again it met my expectations for this type of camera. Also, my softball work is always at reasonably close range. If you were trying to shoot someone from the stands, I am not certain how well the zoom would work in allowing you to capture enough detail to make analysis useful, but with good lighting, it would probably work fine with respect to just recording the event.
Finally, I took it fishing recently and my daughter wanted to film me catching some fish and make a fun documentary. It proved useful for that also. Our only issues were that it was a windy day and the wind sound often washed out any "fun" commentary I was making. Additionally, we learned that I needed to make sure I spoke towards the camera or the microphone would not pick up my voice well. This is not necessarily a downside to the camera, as it is small and one should not expect a great mircophone, but it is just something to be aware of when using the camera.
The software that came with the camera is not bad. You can connect the camera and use the software to download the videos or I was able to just as easily use Google Picasa to achieve the same thing. I would have liked it if the software allowed me to step through the videos frame by frame, as that helps with the softball skill analysis, but it did not, but I did not buy it with an expectation that the software would have that capability.
One last thing that I do need to note is that although I got a high speed SD card for the camera (class 10), every once in a while it will suddenly stop recording and claim that the memory card is too slow. I am not certain what causes this because I can usually start recording the exact same thing again and it will not happen. This is an annoyance and could be a factor if you were trying to capture a one time only shot.
Overall, it is a good camera for what you pay and with respect to my expectations. It has a couple of minor annoyances but nothing that is a downer for my specific purposes. I know I have not used all of its capabilities yet (I have not been brave enough to submerge it in water yet), but if you needed a nice small video camera (especially for recording athletic activities that you wanted to review later) I would highly recommend this camera.
Top reviews from other countries
The door mechanisms (required to access the charging / download port and the memory card) easily jam.
Now it's out of guarantee period it's a flat charge of £45 to have it replaced.
Then I'll will get another 6 months until the same fault occurs? No thanks.
Aside from that the pics are ok, the video worked well. The camera is waterproof but the sound is poor when underwater and a tinny noise accompanies any underwater video.