Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video C..." and save 55% off the $159.00 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Black (2nd Generation)
- Shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof up to 10 ft
- Kodak's Share button lets you choose your favorite sharing destination, e-mail address, or Kodak Pulse Display
- Full 1080p HD videos and 5 MP HD stills, with auto focus
- Get sharper videos and less blur thanks to built-in digital image stabilization
- On-camera editing
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Amazon.com||lclockworkl||SZJBL||kimire2015|
|Screen Size||2 in||2 in||2.4 in||2.7 in||2.7 in|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS||CMOS|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd||1080p_hd||720p||—||1080p|
If you're going to live with no limits, you need a pocket video camera that can deliver the goods in full 1080p HD. The Kodak PlaySport Video Camera is up for the challenge. We built it to take on the most extreme lifestyles with an insanely tough design – we're talking shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof to a depth of 10 feet. And built-in image stabilization smoothes out even the roughest ride. Whether you're carving up the mountain or pulling stunts in the skate park, the PlaySport is up for anything. And with a touch of the Share button, shocking your social network couldn't be simpler. Show the world why you're so Kodak. We dare you.
From the Manufacturer
Share your most extreme moments simply. The Kodak PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5 delivers full 1080p HD with a rugged design that's shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof up to 10 ft underwater.
If you're going to live with no limits, you need a digital video camera that can deliver the goods in full 1080p HD. The Kodak PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5 is up for the challenge. We built it to take on the most extreme lifestyles with an insanely tough design—we're talking shockproof, dustproof, and waterproof to a depth of 10 ft. And built-in image stabilization smooths out even the roughest ride. Whether you're carving up the mountain or pulling stunts in the skate park, the PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5 is up for anything. And with a touch of the Share button, shocking your social network couldn't be simpler. Show the world why you're So Kodak. We dare you.
Go anywhere, do anything, fearless design
- Take the plunge up to 10 ft under water for up to 2 hours
- Don't get the blues—underwater white balance mode gives true-to-life colors in the pool or under the waves
- The muddiest, dustiest, sandiest conditions are no match for the PlaySport's rugged design
- Bumps and bruises go with the territory—the PlaySport can even take a fall from 5 ft
Just press to impress
The world's only cameras with 3-step sharing!1
Kodak's Share button makes sharing your videos and pictures as simple as 1, 2, 3.
- Step 1—Just press Share when in review mode
- Step 2—Choose your favorite sharing destination, e-mail address, or Kodak Pulse Display2
- Step 3—Connect your camera to your computer or insert your memory card and your videos or pictures are automatically uploaded to the destination(s)
- Let you simultaneously share to multiple social networks, e-mail and Pulse Display1,2
- Automatically share when you connect to a PC1
- Tag to the largest number of social networks: Kodak Gallery, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, FLICKR, ORKUT, YANDEX, and KAIXIN0011,3
- Full 1080p high definition captures your adventures in amazing detail
- Easily switch to still camera mode to catch 5 MP, 16:9 widescreen HD still pictures
- 1080p—great for stunning playback on your HDTV—HDMI cable included!
- 720p at 60 fps—for fast action and super slow motion playback
- 720p at 30 fps—ideal for general recording in high definition
- WVGA—perfect for conserving space on your memory card or smaller files sizes for web use
- Get sharper videos and less blur thanks to built-in digital image stabilization
- Capture your friends in their best light with smart face tracking technology—the camera detects and locks onto faces, then ensures great exposure around them
- Get great close-up shots with macro mode (automatic detection or user selectable)
- See more details and accurate colors with incredible low-light performance
- There's always room for more—record up to 10 hours of HD video with expandable SD/SDHC card slot (up to 32 GB) 4
- The bright 2.0 in. LCD automatically adjusts to the lighting conditions around you
- See your screen even in ultra-bright sunlight—simply turn on the LCD Glare Shield feature
- Trim your video to just the right moment and save it as a new video
- Make a picture from a video frame
- Black and white
- High saturation—bright, bold colors
- '70s film—muted colors, slightly greenish cast, and a little graininess for a retro look
Download the software when you first connect it to your computer5 to:
- Edit and trim videos
- Add a voice-over to narrate your footage
- Add pictures and music to your videos to make cool mashups
- Grab and edit still images from video frames to get that perfect shot
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Soft rubberized feel for a secure grip
- Rounded ergonomic design
- HDMI port gives you the option to debut your videos in full glory on your HDTV6
- It doesn't matter if you own a MAC or a PC—the Kodak PlaySport is compatible with both
- The optional remote control makes it easy to comfortably enjoy your videos and pictures
- Kodak PlaySport Video Camera / Zx5
- Adapter and cable for battery charging
- Wrist strap
- User Guide
- ARCSOFT MEDIA IMPRESSION Software for Kodak and Kodak Share Button App (both on-camera, PC only)
- All models of digital still and video cameras manufactured in 2011 or later.
- Kodak Pulse Display and Kodak Gallery support still pictures; video not supported.
- Sharing sites vary by region.
- Record about 20 min per 1 GB at 720p HD at 30 fps. Actual results may vary.
- On-board software for PC only.
- HDMI cable is an optional accessory.
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
When it comes to video quality one of the most important things to look at is the size of the sensor. The (new) Zx5 has a 1/3.2 sensor which is smaller than the (old) Zx3 with a 1/2.5 sensor. Basically, bigger is better when it comes to sensor size. Smaller sensors result in more "noise" which will affect the image quality. This is especially a problem in low-light situations. (I think the video quality is good in bright light situations, but it is a bit grainy in low light.)
Now I don't expect too much from a $179 camcorder, but the older model which came out at $149 (and is now even cheaper), has a bigger sensor (with the same CMOS type and 5 MP size). What's up with that? Newer models are supposed to get better, not worse!
The other significant change is that the Zx5 has an integrated battery. Yes, that means it's non-removable. Which means that you can no longer keep spare batteries for "just in case"... and you know the battery always runs out at the worst possible moment. And, even worse, if the battery malfunctions/dies the camera is useless and you have to send it to Kodak for them to replace the battery ($$). And besides, what's the point of making a camera that is capable of recording up to TEN hours (on a 32GB card) when a single battery charge can't last even close to that?
If you can get past those two BIG negatives then you might want to read about the GOOD changes:
----Macro mode has been added. (7 - 17 cm). This is a really great feature.
----Focus range: Zx5 is ~4 inches to infinity, while the older Zx3 is ~39 inches to infinity.
----camera is now shockproof. (Good for those of us who drop things. I am guilty of that.)
----Special "Cool Capture Effects" added. This is really great for all you creative types.
----sharing videos online is a bit easier with this model. ("3-step sharing")
----records in MP4 format. The older model recorded in the MOV format. MP4 format is easier to work with in most video editing software.
The other positives about this camera (but these are not new features):
----Waterproof (up to 10 feet)... but being able to record in macro under water is new.
----Image stabilization is pretty good for a pocket camera.
----Face detection ability
----Can record up to 10 hours if you get a 32 GB card
----Small and comfortable to hold on to.
Comparing to Flip and Sony:
I also considered buying the Flip UltraHD, but its image sensor is even smaller. It is 1/4.5. The Sony Bloggie was a good contender with its sensor being 1/2.5, and it takes better quality still photos, but it's not waterproof and it also has the internal battery issue. You're not going to find a perfect, pocket sized camera with all the features you want, and all for under $200. So, essentially, you have to decide which features are most important to you, and which features you are going to sacrifice.
Overall, this is a pretty good camcorder and is filled with tons of good features, but I think it's really too bad that Kodak made those changes with the sensor and the battery. Otherwise, this really would have been an awesome little camcorder. Despite those 2 big negatives, I bought this camera anyway (instead of the Zx3). (I really wanted the macro mode and mp4 format). If most of your filming will be in low-light situations I wouldn't recommend this camera. It's good if most of your filming will be outdoors or in bright light.
If you do decide to get this camcorder, or any camcorder that uses SD/SDHC cards for that matter, be sure you get a fast card (a Class 6 or higher). A slow card can cause problems when recording.
Also, the HDMI cable is not included with the Zx5. They will send you one if you pay shipping & handling ($6.50). The other problem that people may not know of is that if you happen to own the Zx3 and already have an HDMI cable and think you can use it on this camera then think again. You're out of luck. The Zx5 uses a smaller cable. It uses the micro HDMI cable (type D).
I did a lot of research before buying this camera and still had a hard time choosing. Hopefully this review will be helpful to you.
(((I had to compress the uploaded video because of Amazon's file size limitation. The original is better quality.)))
I don't feel this camera is as bad as what some of the negative reviews imply. Sure, I shot some video that was horrible and really grainy, but I was in really low-light and I was moving too fast. I got much better results after slowing down. And filming in really bright light gave great results. What I really love about this camera is that I can get really close to my subject. I was only about 10 to 15 inches away from the birds in the uploaded video. (You can't get closer than 39" with the Zx3).
Also, my HDMI cable arrived today from Kodak so I was finally able to watch my videos on my 55" TV and I have to admit the picture quality was quite good. (so good that I'm changing my review to 4 stars). I actually seemed to get the best results from the 720p recordings. The biggest challenge is low-light. The lower the light levels, the more obvious the graininess is.
Cons- videos aren't as good as the similarly priced Sony Bloggie Touch (MHS-TS10/S) - 4 GB, 2 Hour (Silver), still pictures are of poor quality in regards to today's standards, videos aren't as crisp compared to the video quality of the Bloggie Touch or theGE DV1-GG Waterproof/Shockproof 1080P Pocket Video Camera (Graphite Gray) which is twenty five dollars cheaper. The screens on the GE DV1, as well as the Sony Bloggie are larger.
Overall, this is a fun compact EASY TO USE camera, although for the price you can a similarly priced camera that takes better quality videos. It really depends on what you're looking for.
Note: I edited out the beginning of the vid and the end of the vid with the on camera editing tool (just to experiment with the in camera editing tool) so you don't have to see my hand putting the camera in the water or taking it out. The editing is really easy and user friendly. Very cool!
Update: big disappointment. I cannot seem to send MP4 files through E-mail. The recipients are telling me that only the audio is playing. I'm editing the files, but also finding a lot of editing software programs only recognize MP4 as an audio file. I'm going to purchase a new editing software that is compatible with MP4, and I'll keep you updated. My Sony Vegas 6 (which is very old) is only recognizing MP4 as an audio file. It's not the fault of the Kodak, but just documenting my findings. This camcorder still is SO simple to film and watch on a computer. It's simply film, plug, and play.
Don't throw it out if the battery goes bad! They say it is not replaceable, but I found a guy who did the job for $60. I had 2 of these done and they both work like new now. Batteries Plus, Jim, Natick Massachusetts. Look them up online. Great guy. Easy. So worth it. $60 is cheap for a camera this good.
I had some screen freeze issues. Simple firmware update solved it 100%. 10 minutes to do. Google "Kodak Playsport zx5 firmware update Windows". Kodak site is still up and running.
Some reviewers say that the side doors don't open. I solved this problem with a drop of wd40 lubricating oil on the hinge and one on the latch. Haven't had a problem since.
Amazingly quick boot up time so I can get the shot in time.
Dedicated buttons, not touch screen, so you can shoot in bright sun when you can't read a screen. I can shoot this camera one-handed without looking at it, just by feeling the buttons.
Decent image quality, pretty good for a small camera, even by recent smartphone standards.
Works under water.
Select macro under focus options to get super close shots, 3-4 inches, great detail, super clear.
Super easy menus.
Most recent customer reviews
You can recorder HD and also underwater.
It is unexpensive if you compare with other simir cameras ( may be you...Read more