Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kodak Portra 400 Professional ISO 400, 120 propack, Color Negative Film (5 Rolls per Pack)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on May 24, 2011
consistent results. i think fans of Portra VC might be slightly disappointed because this film looks more like Portra NC than VC. skin tones look lovely, landscapes are rendered with accurate color. red is rendered accurately.

if you preferred the extra pop of saturation with Portra VC, i would recommend Ektar 100. ISO 100 but blues are very blue and reds really stand out.

that said, i love the new Portra 400. the colors are natural but never looked washed-out.
on March 18, 2016
This is an exceptional C-41 color film with extremely fine grain. Being ISO 400, it's a great "walk around" speed vs the 160. I generally find the Ektar slightly more vivid, and Portra more neutral. I shoot this medium format 120 in my old Rolleiflex 3.5f, get it processed at the camera shop, then scan it on my flatbed v600.

Unfortunately it seems like this film is getting more and more expensive. And I find it out of stock more and more often on Amazon.

Check out the uploaded images for reference.
review image review image review image
on November 17, 2011
All of Kodak's most recent color negative films (Ektar 100, New Portra 400, New Portra 160) exhibit excellent dynamic range and tonality that seems to push the bar for color negative film even more. Anyone who's shot color negative before knows how well it renders highlights and lighter tones, and this film isn't an exception. This film is more saturated than the new Portra 160, but not by a large margin. If you want a slight increase in the punch of the color though, I recommend pushing the film to 800 ISO, and developing the film longer (approximately 40 seconds more if you're doing your own processing). Shadow detail will remain perfectly in-tact, and if you're still concerned, overexpose by .5-1.0 stops. The film can handle it, easily. You can also push this film up to 3200 ISO and still get excellent results (better than I've ever seen before with color neg), but the contrast increase will be noticeable.
on December 13, 2012
I carry several rolls of this with my medium format camera. It's a staple, just like Tri-X or HP5 for black and white. I get consistent results and a flexibility that is not often found in color films. For lower ISO color shots, I use Ektar, but this is the perfect film to keep in your bag at all times.
on June 19, 2014
Kodak Portra is my favorite color film. It's almost impossible to expose incorrectly, it has a really wide latitude (I'm not even sure how wide, it's really hard to get an unusable shot out of it,) the grain is impossibly smooth and the color reproduction is perfect.

I have shot all of the color negative and slide films that are being made today and I love Portra more than all of them, including Kodak's own Ektar. There is nothing bad I can say about this film.

I run it through my Mamiya RB67 and I have it processed professionally. I have never gotten bad results out of this film.
on October 30, 2013
Purchased this when I found out there was a long wait on my beloved Fuji NPH400.

I was impressed with this kodak film, after using ektar 100 i was a little turned off by their products.

The colors seemed very natural and the images came out sharp (with the aid of my mamiya 7)

I am planning on adding this into my rotation of film.
I have a Holga camera and was doing around of fun experiments with my art group. We were all using Holgas and films of various types. When my pictures came in, people were quite impressed with the color and tone of them. So the film definitely held up to the randomness of the Holga and did an awesome job in a number of different lighting conditions.

I was on a trip to Cozumel, to the Mayan ruins there, so there was light and shadow, different color combinations, and subtle things like a grey lizard against grey stone. The film did quite well in all situations.

I'm very glad I got this film.
on March 25, 2011
This is now one of my standard use films when I shoot with one of my more recently purchased film cameras (I've owned a couple of film cameras, for almost a year now). I use this film in 120 size for my Fujifilm Medium Format GF-670 Film Camera; and, I use this same film in 135 size, in my Leica MP Film Camera Body. I still use my Nikon DSLR Bodies and lenses, and my Leica M9 & M8.2, but there's something about film that I just don't see with digital, and this is why I now prefer to use and exploit the advantages of both mediums. Using film, is quite inexpensive for me, since I develop my own negatives, scan them and subsequently use and handle these images much the way as I do with images from my "digital cameras", but with the added advantages of having my most important images captured/archived to film.
on September 12, 2015
Excellent color print film with neutral colors and great dynamic range. Medium format equipment is cheap as hell now (off ebay/Craigslist) and still beats full frame digital (depending on how you scan, of course).
on October 28, 2013
I love this film. You can do almost anything with it. If I know I'll be in sunlight, or really nice bright light, I'll opt for the ASA 160, but if I don't know where my day will take me, it's this film all day long.

Colors start out a bit muted, which gives for great skin tones and portraits, especially for kids in the "instagram" generation looking for that film look. I always add a bit of saturation in post, and photos end up looking vibrant and believable. Colors are nowhere near as in-your-face as with a slide film like Velvia or Provia, but still very very nice.

Exposures are very forgiving, though I like to over-expose by about 2/3 of a stop, as a matter of taste.