Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 95 reviews
I have a Holga camera and was doing around of fun experiments with my art group. We were all using Holgas and films of various types. When my pictures came in, people were quite impressed with the color and tone of them. So the film definitely held up to the randomness of the Holga and did an awesome job in a number of different lighting conditions.

I was on a trip to Cozumel, to the Mayan ruins there, so there was light and shadow, different color combinations, and subtle things like a grey lizard against grey stone. The film did quite well in all situations.

I'm very glad I got this film.
on June 19, 2014
Kodak Portra is my favorite color film. It's almost impossible to expose incorrectly, it has a really wide latitude (I'm not even sure how wide, it's really hard to get an unusable shot out of it,) the grain is impossibly smooth and the color reproduction is perfect.

I have shot all of the color negative and slide films that are being made today and I love Portra more than all of them, including Kodak's own Ektar. There is nothing bad I can say about this film.

I run it through my Mamiya RB67 and I have it processed professionally. I have never gotten bad results out of this film.
on December 28, 2015
This must be, nowadays, the best neutral color 400 speed film out there. Love it. Since they no longer make the Portra 400 VC or NC, this is a good compromise, and the colors and the dynamic range is great.
review image
on May 24, 2011
consistent results. i think fans of Portra VC might be slightly disappointed because this film looks more like Portra NC than VC. skin tones look lovely, landscapes are rendered with accurate color. red is rendered accurately.

if you preferred the extra pop of saturation with Portra VC, i would recommend Ektar 100. ISO 100 but blues are very blue and reds really stand out.

that said, i love the new Portra 400. the colors are natural but never looked washed-out.
on November 17, 2011
All of Kodak's most recent color negative films (Ektar 100, New Portra 400, New Portra 160) exhibit excellent dynamic range and tonality that seems to push the bar for color negative film even more. Anyone who's shot color negative before knows how well it renders highlights and lighter tones, and this film isn't an exception. This film is more saturated than the new Portra 160, but not by a large margin. If you want a slight increase in the punch of the color though, I recommend pushing the film to 800 ISO, and developing the film longer (approximately 40 seconds more if you're doing your own processing). Shadow detail will remain perfectly in-tact, and if you're still concerned, overexpose by .5-1.0 stops. The film can handle it, easily. You can also push this film up to 3200 ISO and still get excellent results (better than I've ever seen before with color neg), but the contrast increase will be noticeable.
on October 11, 2016
I use 120 film in my pinhole cameras and have used Ektar 100 for some time. I wanted to do some indoor work so I bought the 5 pack of Portra 400. It is great except in one area. The frame number markings on the paper roll are quite faint. It may be leading to some fogging but since I get a bit anyway so it is hard to tell. Anyway I have to use my iPhone flashlight just to see the numbers when I advance the film.

My Ektar is easy to see and I have used 3 5-packs of it so far.

Otherwise, I would give it 5 stars.
on March 28, 2017
Great value on Amazon. The product arrived quickly with no issues. Will buy again
on October 26, 2016
great film with amazing color reproduction. I love shooting with this film.
on October 30, 2013
Purchased this when I found out there was a long wait on my beloved Fuji NPH400.

I was impressed with this kodak film, after using ektar 100 i was a little turned off by their products.

The colors seemed very natural and the images came out sharp (with the aid of my mamiya 7)

I am planning on adding this into my rotation of film.
on March 6, 2016
Wonderful, reliable film. I'm new to film photography, and was delighted at how easy this particular brand is to use, as well as the consistency of images it produces. Definitely a great product, especially if you're starting out.