Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 18, 2016
This is an exceptional C-41 color film with extremely fine grain. Being ISO 400, it's a great "walk around" speed vs the 160. I generally find the Ektar slightly more vivid, and Portra more neutral. I shoot this medium format 120 in my old Rolleiflex 3.5f, get it processed at the camera shop, then scan it on my flatbed v600.

Unfortunately it seems like this film is getting more and more expensive. And I find it out of stock more and more often on Amazon.

Check out the uploaded images for reference.
review imagereview imagereview image
26 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I have a Holga camera and was doing around of fun experiments with my art group. We were all using Holgas and films of various types. When my pictures came in, people were quite impressed with the color and tone of them. So the film definitely held up to the randomness of the Holga and did an awesome job in a number of different lighting conditions.

I was on a trip to Cozumel, to the Mayan ruins there, so there was light and shadow, different color combinations, and subtle things like a grey lizard against grey stone. The film did quite well in all situations.

I'm very glad I got this film.
7 people found this helpful
on June 19, 2014
Kodak Portra is my favorite color film. It's almost impossible to expose incorrectly, it has a really wide latitude (I'm not even sure how wide, it's really hard to get an unusable shot out of it,) the grain is impossibly smooth and the color reproduction is perfect.

I have shot all of the color negative and slide films that are being made today and I love Portra more than all of them, including Kodak's own Ektar. There is nothing bad I can say about this film.

I run it through my Mamiya RB67 and I have it processed professionally. I have never gotten bad results out of this film.
5 people found this helpful
on October 11, 2016
I use 120 film in my pinhole cameras and have used Ektar 100 for some time. I wanted to do some indoor work so I bought the 5 pack of Portra 400. It is great except in one area. The frame number markings on the paper roll are quite faint. It may be leading to some fogging but since I get a bit anyway so it is hard to tell. Anyway I have to use my iPhone flashlight just to see the numbers when I advance the film.

My Ektar is easy to see and I have used 3 5-packs of it so far.

Otherwise, I would give it 5 stars.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Wonderful, reliable film. I'm new to film photography, and was delighted at how easy this particular brand is to use, as well as the consistency of images it produces. Definitely a great product, especially if you're starting out.
2 people found this helpful
on October 30, 2013
Purchased this when I found out there was a long wait on my beloved Fuji NPH400.

I was impressed with this kodak film, after using ektar 100 i was a little turned off by their products.

The colors seemed very natural and the images came out sharp (with the aid of my mamiya 7)

I am planning on adding this into my rotation of film.
3 people found this helpful
on October 11, 2017
My favorite film (along with Portra 160). Not too saturated, just the way I prefer it if I don't feel like doing any post editing. Follow me on Instagram for images (I always callout what film I use) "415Sean"
on December 28, 2015
This must be, nowadays, the best neutral color 400 speed film out there. Love it. Since they no longer make the Portra 400 VC or NC, this is a good compromise, and the colors and the dynamic range is great.
review image
2 people found this helpful
on May 24, 2011
consistent results. i think fans of Portra VC might be slightly disappointed because this film looks more like Portra NC than VC. skin tones look lovely, landscapes are rendered with accurate color. red is rendered accurately.

if you preferred the extra pop of saturation with Portra VC, i would recommend Ektar 100. ISO 100 but blues are very blue and reds really stand out.

that said, i love the new Portra 400. the colors are natural but never looked washed-out.
20 people found this helpful
on December 13, 2012
I carry several rolls of this with my medium format camera. It's a staple, just like Tri-X or HP5 for black and white. I get consistent results and a flexibility that is not often found in color films. For lower ISO color shots, I use Ektar, but this is the perfect film to keep in your bag at all times.
5 people found this helpful