Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 121 reviews
on November 5, 2011
Tri-X is a classic among classics. A Kodak rep, in a recent article about their film division sang the praises of the recent new formulation of T-MAX 400 even mentioned that they haven't dared to touch Tri-X because of it's standing as a true classic. When I first got into photography, I immediately felt disdain for Tri-X. I considered it a 'student film,' the mark of a true amateur! Years down the road, I became less snobby and less foolish, and it has entered my top three film choices of all time (Acros and PanF+ are the other two, for the curious...)

So, for those who don't know, here's the skinny on Tri-X. It's a classic grain emulsion. And, that grain will probably show, but it will look smooth and sexy. It's closest competition in the market, Ilford HP5+, has much sharper, in-your-face grain, in my opinion. You can push and pull Tri-X 2 stops in whatever developer you ordinarily use without really batting an eyelash.

You can abuse Tri-X. One doesn't typically encouraging abusing things, but Tri-X takes what you throw at it in stride. I keep it in the camera that stays in my trunk, because situations might not necessarily allow me to get a proper exposure at all times, and I don't have the luxury of picking a film for a specific situation with that camera. I respool Minox with it for the same reason. In fact, it's a go-to film for any camera without a meter, where one has to assess exposure in one's head. With that much room for error (for me, at least... I never said sunny/16 was my forté!), a forgiving film is handy. And Tri-X forgives and forgives...

Tri-X looks good, gives consistent results, and allows the photographer to make mistakes. The only thing it does not do well is age -- please shoot this stuff before it expires. Expired Tri-X tends to get blotchy, like it has the measles.

All in all, a good price for a great film (36 exp in 135 format). You know you want to!
on January 15, 2017
I was thrilled to find black and white film available I decided to go old school with a 35mm camera in my grandfathers foot steps and going black and white allows me to do just that with 35mm you get what you take you can't modify your photos like you can with digital cameras there's a real honest and raw feeling behind that and I live in Montana Ansell Adams beware LOL
on October 1, 2016
Still one of the best, classic black and white films. I have been using it for 40 years. It has a very fine grain and tonality. I hope Kodak continues to make it for many more years. I miss being able to use Kodachrome, but at least Tri-X is still around.
on March 17, 2012
Kodak Tri-x 400 is my favorite film. Images are hella crisp, with the right amount of grain. There's nothing like it. I like to buy one when ordering around $20 of books, and then the shipping's (usually) free. or even better, get them from CVS. If darkrooms are hard to come by in your useless town, try thedarkroom.com. Super great results in about three days.

This sounds like a sketchy advertisement but i'm super genuine in my creepy corporate loyalties.
on May 3, 2016
This is my favorite black and white 400 speed film. I prefer this over Ilford film as I think the grain is tighter and the contrast is better. I typically wait for this to go on sale though, because the regular price of $6.99 is a bit high for my tastes.
on April 2, 2017
As an Amateur photographer, I use this film and develop it my self. It has always been a real gem in the world of B&W photography.
on January 9, 2017
The real successor to Tri-X Pan, not that C-41 process stuff.
I got 10/2018 date code. Bought 1/2017.
Still made in USA!
on January 17, 2017
I have ordered several rolls from this seller. Always arrives fast, and the price is great, especially for this quality of film.
on July 19, 2013
This is great, very forgiving, b&w film. The 400 speed makes it very versatile. I like how the grain is there, but not so much that it overpowers the picture. You can push this film to 1600 or even 3200 with great results.
on July 16, 2013
Something about Tri-X has always jibed with me. It's all I used to use in my student days, 25 years ago. After a long hiatus, I recently fell in love all over again. Something about the tonal response - everything I wish I could do with digital captures with infinite adjustments and plug-ins, this film just does effortlessly.