Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Size: 1-Pack|Change

Showing 1-10 of 106 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on November 5, 2011
Tri-X is a classic among classics. A Kodak rep, in a recent article about their film division sang the praises of the recent new formulation of T-MAX 400 even mentioned that they haven't dared to touch Tri-X because of it's standing as a true classic. When I first got into photography, I immediately felt disdain for Tri-X. I considered it a 'student film,' the mark of a true amateur! Years down the road, I became less snobby and less foolish, and it has entered my top three film choices of all time (Acros and PanF+ are the other two, for the curious...)

So, for those who don't know, here's the skinny on Tri-X. It's a classic grain emulsion. And, that grain will probably show, but it will look smooth and sexy. It's closest competition in the market, Ilford HP5+, has much sharper, in-your-face grain, in my opinion. You can push and pull Tri-X 2 stops in whatever developer you ordinarily use without really batting an eyelash.

You can abuse Tri-X. One doesn't typically encouraging abusing things, but Tri-X takes what you throw at it in stride. I keep it in the camera that stays in my trunk, because situations might not necessarily allow me to get a proper exposure at all times, and I don't have the luxury of picking a film for a specific situation with that camera. I respool Minox with it for the same reason. In fact, it's a go-to film for any camera without a meter, where one has to assess exposure in one's head. With that much room for error (for me, at least... I never said sunny/16 was my forté!), a forgiving film is handy. And Tri-X forgives and forgives...

Tri-X looks good, gives consistent results, and allows the photographer to make mistakes. The only thing it does not do well is age -- please shoot this stuff before it expires. Expired Tri-X tends to get blotchy, like it has the measles.

All in all, a good price for a great film (36 exp in 135 format). You know you want to!
on January 15, 2017
I was thrilled to find black and white film available I decided to go old school with a 35mm camera in my grandfathers foot steps and going black and white allows me to do just that with 35mm you get what you take you can't modify your photos like you can with digital cameras there's a real honest and raw feeling behind that and I live in Montana Ansell Adams beware LOL
on March 17, 2012
Kodak Tri-x 400 is my favorite film. Images are hella crisp, with the right amount of grain. There's nothing like it. I like to buy one when ordering around $20 of books, and then the shipping's (usually) free. or even better, get them from CVS. If darkrooms are hard to come by in your useless town, try thedarkroom.com. Super great results in about three days.

This sounds like a sketchy advertisement but i'm super genuine in my creepy corporate loyalties.
on August 10, 2015
I originally got this, because my photography teacher got this cheap quality film and my pictures would never come out. Which can be very frustrating. Because, you have to restart the whole process all over again, by shooting and developing the film.
My good friend told me to use the Kodak Tri-X 400TX film instead of the teacher's film. So i did, and it was such a difference! My pictures were in my much better quality plus i got more out of it than the other kids who were stuck using the teacher's film. I like it a lot! and would suggest this to anyone who is first starting film photography or is a professional in film photography.
on October 16, 2016
My first time shooting black and white and learning settings. I was really impressed by the quality. I compared it to my other bw shots that were ilford and something about this film just charms me more. I want to buy a bucket of it.
review image review image review image
on October 1, 2016
Still one of the best, classic black and white films. I have been using it for 40 years. It has a very fine grain and tonality. I hope Kodak continues to make it for many more years. I miss being able to use Kodachrome, but at least Tri-X is still around.
on May 3, 2016
This is my favorite black and white 400 speed film. I prefer this over Ilford film as I think the grain is tighter and the contrast is better. I typically wait for this to go on sale though, because the regular price of $6.99 is a bit high for my tastes.
on July 16, 2013
Something about Tri-X has always jibed with me. It's all I used to use in my student days, 25 years ago. After a long hiatus, I recently fell in love all over again. Something about the tonal response - everything I wish I could do with digital captures with infinite adjustments and plug-ins, this film just does effortlessly.
on March 3, 2015
This is a must have film to use when shooting in black and white. The darks and whites are bold and the grain is to a low. Even taking a bad photo still looks kinda good because when you see these come out, they look amazing.
on June 11, 2014
There is nothing as wonderful as photos taken with film. Can NOT be matched with digital for quality and depth. CAN NOT!
great to find Kodak brand on anything, and I still go to an old school camera shop that develops, prints and enlarges.