Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon 25% off select Graco products

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on November 5, 2011
Tri-X is a classic among classics. A Kodak rep, in a recent article about their film division sang the praises of the recent new formulation of T-MAX 400 even mentioned that they haven't dared to touch Tri-X because of it's standing as a true classic. When I first got into photography, I immediately felt disdain for Tri-X. I considered it a 'student film,' the mark of a true amateur! Years down the road, I became less snobby and less foolish, and it has entered my top three film choices of all time (Acros and PanF+ are the other two, for the curious...)

So, for those who don't know, here's the skinny on Tri-X. It's a classic grain emulsion. And, that grain will probably show, but it will look smooth and sexy. It's closest competition in the market, Ilford HP5+, has much sharper, in-your-face grain, in my opinion. You can push and pull Tri-X 2 stops in whatever developer you ordinarily use without really batting an eyelash.

You can abuse Tri-X. One doesn't typically encouraging abusing things, but Tri-X takes what you throw at it in stride. I keep it in the camera that stays in my trunk, because situations might not necessarily allow me to get a proper exposure at all times, and I don't have the luxury of picking a film for a specific situation with that camera. I respool Minox with it for the same reason. In fact, it's a go-to film for any camera without a meter, where one has to assess exposure in one's head. With that much room for error (for me, at least... I never said sunny/16 was my forté!), a forgiving film is handy. And Tri-X forgives and forgives...

Tri-X looks good, gives consistent results, and allows the photographer to make mistakes. The only thing it does not do well is age -- please shoot this stuff before it expires. Expired Tri-X tends to get blotchy, like it has the measles.

All in all, a good price for a great film (36 exp in 135 format). You know you want to!
on March 17, 2012
Kodak Tri-x 400 is my favorite film. Images are hella crisp, with the right amount of grain. There's nothing like it. I like to buy one when ordering around $20 of books, and then the shipping's (usually) free. or even better, get them from CVS. If darkrooms are hard to come by in your useless town, try thedarkroom.com. Super great results in about three days.

This sounds like a sketchy advertisement but i'm super genuine in my creepy corporate loyalties.
on August 10, 2015
I originally got this, because my photography teacher got this cheap quality film and my pictures would never come out. Which can be very frustrating. Because, you have to restart the whole process all over again, by shooting and developing the film.
My good friend told me to use the Kodak Tri-X 400TX film instead of the teacher's film. So i did, and it was such a difference! My pictures were in my much better quality plus i got more out of it than the other kids who were stuck using the teacher's film. I like it a lot! and would suggest this to anyone who is first starting film photography or is a professional in film photography.
on December 2, 2016
I'm new to shooting film and fairly new to taking photography seriously so I imagine my review of a legendary film will hold little weight. But I just got my first roll of Tri X developed and was very thrilled with the results.

I took it to a street festival loaded in a Leica R3 and shot manual using a cell phone light meter. The latitude seemed to be very forgiving, even for a film newbie.

The grain was pleasing and the details were sharp. I loved it so much I ordered a bunch more for an upcoming trip. Buy this stuff so they keep making it!
review image
on April 11, 2014
It's my favorite. I know there are ILford fans who will disagree. But this film can be pulled to 100 or pushed to 3200. And gives amazing results, "IF" you do your own developing and know what you're doing; or have a good Pro Lab who does. If you don't, contact me and I'll give you details on a great Pro Lab.
on May 3, 2016
This is my favorite black and white 400 speed film. I prefer this over Ilford film as I think the grain is tighter and the contrast is better. I typically wait for this to go on sale though, because the regular price of $6.99 is a bit high for my tastes.
on October 1, 2016
Still one of the best, classic black and white films. I have been using it for 40 years. It has a very fine grain and tonality. I hope Kodak continues to make it for many more years. I miss being able to use Kodachrome, but at least Tri-X is still around.
on July 19, 2013
This is great, very forgiving, b&w film. The 400 speed makes it very versatile. I like how the grain is there, but not so much that it overpowers the picture. You can push this film to 1600 or even 3200 with great results.
on October 16, 2016
My first time shooting black and white and learning settings. I was really impressed by the quality. I compared it to my other bw shots that were ilford and something about this film just charms me more. I want to buy a bucket of it.
review image review image review image
on July 26, 2014
Classic film from Kodak! It is a wonderful film for both beginners and pros! Very forgiving with exposure and wonderful contrast! I highly recommed Indie Film Lab for developing your TRI-X and all of your other films! They are the best around!