Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Showing 1-10 of 152 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 186 reviews
on August 24, 2015
Great tenet. The only bad thing was the slide bar (on top-supporting bowflex) was damaged (tube/pipe split along nearly invisible seam lengthwise due to button release/catch on corresponding rod) after very first use (Put up to season it as recommended). I called Amazon; they gave me a choice of contacting Kodiak for replacement, or Amazon giving me a cost of part credit. I contacted Kodiak and sent photos along with explanation. After a couple of weeks- NO SHOW, nor information update. I ORDERED the part ($5.50 cost) ...My customer info must have RED FLAGGED my original request because I FINALLY heard back from Kodiak. I got my part within the next ten (10) days. I love the tent.; It's easy to put up, and to breakdown. Sure, it's a little HEAVY (65 lbs.) but it's NOT a hiking tent. My wife loves it...grandson loves it. I put up 2 (two) queen size aero beds in the tent an still had loads of room. The storage accessories are also a great asset. I also purchased the recommended 10x15 tarp/groundcloth to put under the tent. As a former United States Marine, I had my share of tent cities...this tent is OUTSTANDING ! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TENT WITH 5 STARS...As for customer service of Kodiak, well, maybe a three(3). The customer service at Amazon for this item/problem, a STRONG 5 STARS.
14 people found this helpful
on September 7, 2017
After 5 years of ownership this tent never ceases to amaze me. 2 years ago I purchased a small camper and my 3 children sleep in a tent. I was reluctant to let them use my kodiak tent after they went through 3 tents in the last 2 years but I couldn't afford to spend another 150 on a tent that would rip out the stake loops or break tent poles on a windy day so this season I broke down and started taking the kodiak for them. Labor day weekend proved it well worth it at 10:30 at night the kids came frantically knocking on my camper door because there was water under the tent. So I went out to inspect the damage only to find the tent sitting in 6 inches of water yet still completely dry inside. Other tents at my campground were blown over or sustained water damage a few people lost awnings we happily had no damage all weekend. This tent is built to a quality no light weight tent can compare to. I have never owned a tent that was so reliable I can get back to what vacation is suppose to be about, relaxing.

Jonathan - Wisconsin
review imagereview image
9 people found this helpful
on October 3, 2016
We just gave this tent a trial run in our back yard and were quite impressed with how easy it was to set up and take down! (Neither my husband nor I are seasoned campers and tent users. We bought this tent to have our own space on family trips to the sand dunes.)

Some newbie tips I'd like to share:

1) Scotch Guard the white canvas. If you're nit picky like me and you want things to be neat and clean, consider spraying scotch guard on the white canvas to keep it pristine. Our trial run was under a canopy of trees in our back yard. Tree sap made its way onto the white canvas and now it's got mild stains. Nothing terrible, it'll probably wash away over time and if you're a seasoned camper, you probably don't care, but for infrequent neat freak users like me, I wish I would have protected the white canvas.

2) Staking doesn't mean stretching! When we put the stakes down, we did it so that the tent floor was tight. Once we put up the tent, you could see the tent floor was stretched tight across some of the stakes. This made the floor seem warped and put unnecessary strain on the tent. Next time we will just lay the tent out and not pull it tight before hammering down the stakes.
10 people found this helpful
on June 23, 2016
I got this tent on Tuesday. I set it up right away. It was pretty easy to setup. There’s really not much to it. I seasoned the tent and let it dry per the instructions. I left it setup all day Wednesday and we had a huge thunder storm come through. It rained pretty hard and we had some 45MPH winds. The tenet did well. I found one rain drop of water in the far corner where the needle hole was slightly bigger because of the needle going through. I got on my hands and needs and went over every square inch of the tent and found no other water. I did find a spider though.

One thing to note is that with the No-See-Um screen is that it can get less breezy in there. When it was windy out I did notice a big difference between the screen and having the door completely open. It’s really a trade-off, no bugs vs less wind.

I think it’s a perfect tent and it will suit my needs perfectly. I never slept in tent before so it will be interesting to give it a try this weekend.
7 people found this helpful
on June 5, 2016
First review is five star. We have only had it out for a test run of a couple of days of camping locally before heading west for some time in our national parks. We set it up in the rain, and it took about 15-20 minutes. Now that I have done it once, I would estimate 10 in future. Tip, don't stake it too tight or the upright poles will be a bugger to get locked into the pin on the bottom. That said, once up, it performed like a champ keeping us dry, and then drying out in a reasonable amount of time after the sun came out. Plenty of room for a family of five hanging out on a rainy day. The quality is impressive. From the massive chrome plated stakes to the hefty poles, zippers, vinyl, and canvas, I can't see any issues with its construction. It folded up and into the innovative "bag," which straps around it easily. Tip, fold both sides to the middle and then in half before rolling it tight, and it will be neat and compact to get into the bag. Anyway, wonderful tent with plenty of room and quality construction to last a long time.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 14, 2015
It's a real masterpiece but I highly recommend getting four large steel stakes for the corners. It is what is called a.. non-free standing tent, I think. The stability of the structure is entirely dependent on the stability of the four corner stakes, so if you are in high wind and your soil is a little loose or contains sand, I would always use larger stakes, thicker and two feet long. The stakes it comes with are about a foot, and their pretty substantial, they are the biggest size you could get and still be able to use your boot to sink them in. (In a non-windy situation, the normal stakes are just fine.

The design is amazingly primitive and well thought out. And as large and complicated as it looks to set up, it is really simple, easy and goes up fast. It is worlds apart from any spiffy tent found in REI, as far as how it is supported. The canvas used is also amazing, if you look closely you'll see that the roof section is basically white and let's in a lot of sunlight - on a sunny day, the tent is perfectly lit from the inside. The side walls are a light tan color which still lets in light but not like the white roof. The door and window sections, which are on both sides of the tent are a solid darker color where light does not pass through. The experience of being inside this tent is sensational, and the ceiling has head space for the tallest man. I have a family of four, and this probably couldn't be more ideal. The floor is a thick light brown waterproof material, tough as nails. It's a really good space to lounge in when the sun is hot, too. Clean the steel poles off with a rag first thing, they are fresh from the factory are filthy with steel powder, don't want that on the good canvas.
6 people found this helpful
on May 28, 2015
Rock solid in all conditions. Great base camp tent. I've used many wall tents in the past, and they do have their advantages over the spring bar design, especially for extended hunting trips where a tent stove is more economical than a propane heater. However, the other 99% of the time, the Flex-Bow is more than adequate.

I've not had any leaks or trouble using this tent. I've used it on hot summer trips during monsoons, and in sub-freezing temperatures above 10,000 feet during deer and elk season. In all conditions it has performed flawlessly. Size to weight can't be beat. The 8-person tent can comfortably accommodate 3 adult males with cots. In a pinch you could squeeze a 4th cot, but door access would be impeded, and living space would be cramped.

Some have complained that setting it up was more difficult that they expected. I've not had any problems setting it up alone. This includes setting it up in the snow, rain and wind. Alone it takes me no more than 15 – 20 minutes to setup. That time is almost cut in half with a second person helping.

My only complaint is that the awning sags in the middle. Those under 6ft tall won't have an issue. You can see youtube reviews where others have used a painters pole, or similar, to place in the middle of the awning to raise it up. The problem I had with a single pole sticking up into the awning is that it began to stretch the awning fabric. Over time it could possibly begin to poke through the material.

My solution was to weld an aluminum frame, supported by a single pole, that can be disassembled and stored in the pole bag . Not everyone will have the tools and the capability, but this has worked well, and has held up in some very adverse weather. Honestly, I don't see why Kodiak hasn't improved on this.

The optional vestibule and ground tarp are a must. The added storage space and protection from the elements that the vestibule provides makes this tent even more useful. I do wish Kodiak would have offered a fully enclosed vestibule. It would make using the vestibule more comfortable during windy and cold weather.

The ground tarp is more about keeping the underside of the tent floor clean, rather than protecting it from scrapes and tears. Although the added protection certainly doesn't hurt. Mostly, the ground tarp allows you to roll up the tent and put it away immediately without having to wipe the underside clean. A tarp is much easier to hose off when you get home than the underside of the tent.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Flex-Bow. If Kodiak could make the improvement I've suggested above, it would make it darn near perfect.
6 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2016
After having gone through several cheaper (quality) nylon tents, I decided to get a real tent.
This is a very nice solid tent. It is heavy and has some bulk to it, so don't expect to backpack this in somewhere.
So far the zippers are holding up well, which seems to be a weak point on any of the nylon tents I've had.

The carry case is well designed. It's an open style that folds around the tent, so you aren't struggling to get the tent in a tight bag that was designed for factory folded tents instead of real world usage folding.

The floor is solid and it comes with mesh hangers inside for holding various gear.

Setup is fairly easy, but you do need to take your shoes off if you don't want dirt or shoe prints on the top of the tent when setting it up.

My only complaint, which doesn't warrant removing a star, as the pics clearly show, would be a small window on each end. the tiny top vent just doesn't cut it for airflow.
A small window on each end would greatly improve airflow on warm days, and allow you to see what's going on outside the tent.
The other nice thing about this canvas tent is that on windy days it's fairly quiet. The nylon tents are very noisy due to the wind whipping them around, whereas this tent just sits there and takes it. Makes for a good night sleep on the occasional windy night.
The tent is roomy with good standup room. You could setup several cots and gear and still have room to get out of either door. FYI, looking at the front with the canopy up, the door panel is on the right only, and on the back, the opposite corner is a door as well. the other 2 panels are windows only.
on June 21, 2016
This tent is no joke! Heavy duty and does exactly what it says. I have been camping several times a year for 20+ years now as an adult. We usually buy a new tent annually. I have never seen a tent of this high quality or never even knew tents like this were around. This tent did exactly what it said the first time out. Handled our family of 6 PLUS all our stuff. Everyone had a great night sleep and it felt spacious!
I can not recommend this tent enough. If you are looking to make a one-and-done purchase, this is your tent!
on October 25, 2015
This tent is amazing, huge and worth every penny. I'm a pretty average sized middle aged woman, I do lift weights but I'm not super strong - I was able to put the tent up myself, just needed my daughter to hold one of the pins in place while I put the rod down over it. I probably could have done it myself if needed. The top bar is a little scary when you stretch it in to place, but you don't need to worry about tearing it, this canvas is tough. Despite having so few parts, the structure seemed very sturdy and secure once it was up.

We seasoned the tent by spraying it down with a hose and had no leaks.

The bag that allows you to strap it around the folded tent is brilliant - this is the first tent I've actually been able to fit back into the bag!
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.