Other Sellers on Amazon
Deal of the Day: "M*A*S*H: The Complete Series + Movie" on DD
Today only, save big on this M*A*S*H bundle, which includes all 11 seasons of the hit television show and the feature film. This offer ends at 11:59 p.m. (PT) on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. Learn more
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1. MICHAEL GOUGH - If you only know Michael Gough's work as that one scientist that briefly showed up in "Top Secret" or as Alfred in the Batman movies from the late 80's through the 90's, you're in for quite a treat. I can't think of a single better mad scientist than Gough's Charles Decker in this film (Donald Murphy comes close in "Frankenstein's Daughter" but he's still got nothing on Gough). Decker is arrogant, amoral, and completely blind to the ridiculousness of his own actions (more on that later) and Gough is clearly having a wonderful time running wild with the role, chewing the scenery like a madman. Its truly a wonder to behold. My favorite moment is when we get a long shot of him deliving a fast and vicious tirade to the dean of his college and throughout the whole shot you actually can see the vein in Gough's forehead grow bigger and bigger. He's truly an incredible ham in this movie, and I mean that in the very best possible way. No actor living or dead could've played Decker and made this movie any better than it is with Michael Gough in the lead role.
2. THE PACING - This is a movie that just keeps on moving. Unlike a lot of other monster flicks where the first two acts are mostly just talking leading up to the big, monster-y finish, the action in "Konga" is spread out in good size bursts throughout the film, with the plot moving briskly inbetween. Speaking of plot...
3. THE CHARACTERS KEEP DOING RIDICULOUS THINGS - Dr. Decker, boiling his serum that grows animals into bigger animals, doesn't keep his eye on the pot, where it boils over on the floor and his housecat starts lapping it up. His response? He immediately grabs a revolver (!) from his desk drawer and SHOOTS THE CAT!!!Read more ›
I don't have any qualms about them using a guy in a gorilla suit but this is the worst gorilla suit I have ever seen. It was borrowed from celebrated "apeman" George Barrows who should have been hired because whoever they got had no idea how to act like a monkey. Once KONGA was introduced , it's as if the filmmakers knew the jig was up and they just threw in the towel. The special effects become increasingly substandard and there isn't even a pretense of disguising how bad they are. The last fifteen minutes of the film left the audience in hysterics according to people who saw it in 1961 and it's easy to see why. That's what makes KONGA such a guilty pleasure. Adding to the fun is the fact that the cast plays it with an incredibly straight face with no hint of camp. The final shot of the poor little chimp lying dead in the street has to be seen to be believed.
The remarkable thing about this DVD (as mentioned in an earlier review) is how good it looks. I had never seen KONGA in color before much less in widescreen.Read more ›
As the film begins we see a small plane crashing into the African jungle, one carrying famed, English botanist Dr. Charles Decker (Gough), thought to have perished in the accident.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Another classic Michael Gough movie. Toss in some overgrown venus flytraps in his hot house, a chimp (from Gough's story in Dr. Terror's House of Horrors? Read morePublished 4 months ago by From NJ
I think Konga is a pretty good movie, overall. I like Michael Gough, who plays Dr. Charles Decker, the man who made Konga, so to speak. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Norman Ferriere
It's the same print as the Midnight Movie version...it's NOT anamorphic. Save your money!!!Published 8 months ago by inspector
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Classics
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Monsters & Mutants
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles