Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 157 reviews
on February 22, 2012
If for no other reason that it's a fantastic book is the fact that clear directions are shown for those of us who arer left-handed. Equally with the ones for the right-handed. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Aside from that, it's beautifully written and laid out. A perfect book on crochet for the rank beginner to the very advanced crocheter. I fall somewhere in the middle, I guess.

It's heavy due to the sheer volume of information. At first, I thought it was a hard-back and was disappointed. Then, I realized it was a giant paperback and all was well. I've only skimmed it a bit. Which is what this sort of book is meant for the reader to do. Each time, I learn some little nugget.

Well done to Donna Kooler!
on January 25, 2017
Very lovely book. The projects did not necessarily intrigue me, most weren't things that I'd be interested in making, but the book did cover quite a few techniques from the basics of crochet, learning to get started, to tunisian, wire crochet, and using beads. I think the only thing not covered was amigurumi. There are some lovely stitches and borders (why I got the book), which I am very happy with. All of the stitches include not only the description of how to do them, but also an easy to read chart to go along with them. I was overjoyed with that addition.

I have been crocheting for a few years now. Taught myself through books like this, and I think this book is extremely helpful to a beginner and at least an intermediate crocheter. Not sure how much an advanced person would enjoy it, but for the stitch library. I highly recommend this book.
on May 27, 2017
I am teaching ladies how to crochet and have been using this book as their text. I'm buying them used and so far are in really good condition. Has everything from diagrams on how to make the stitch to pages of sample patterns complete with written and charted instructions, Has everything from crocheting with yarn to fine thread.
on March 26, 2017
the first book was amazing and this one is just as good not as many additions as I would of liked and personally I think instead of changing the patterns to new ones they should of kept the old ones and just added in all the new projects still worth it for the new projects at this price.
on May 12, 2016
I bought this newest edition as a gift for a beginner crocheter. I have the first edition of "Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet" and I have found it to be very helpful. I refer to it when I am about to begin an afghan and not sure what stitch I want to use. My copy is dog-eared and very well used.
on September 14, 2016
This is a true Encyclopedia of crochet. It has everything, Crochet History, the basics, Beyond basics and patterns that are for beginner to advanced. It is very thorough and a great addition to or start of a crochet book collection. My only complaint was that the top right side corner of the book was bent during shipping but not everything is perfect and I still would buy this book!
review image
on September 2, 2013
This book is an excellent learning tool for those who crochet. I recently purchased a second copy for my mother because she liked mine so much. Before obtaining this book I only knew a couple of basic stitches and had great difficulty reading patterns. This book has taught me how to do a wide variety of stitches and how to read both diagram patterns and patterns with written abbreviations. I would recommend this book for the beginner who knows nothing up to those with an intermediate skill level who want to learn more.

Here is what I love about it:

1. This book has beautiful easy to understand illustrations as well as descriptions on how to do all of the basic and advanced stitches. Each of these illustrations is shown from both LEFT and RIGHT handed perspectives.

2. The book contains a library of stitch patterns in the back which are good for a variety of projects. Each of these has a photo, a diagram of the stitches, and instructions written in the standard abbreviations.

3. The inside front cover lists all the shorthand abbreviations and their meanings, and the back cover has the diagramming symbols and their meanings for easy consultation.

4. This book teaches a variety of useful techniques beyond types of stitches to expand your repertoire of crochet skills such as filet crochet, how to join panels, Tunisian crochet, edgings, incorporating buttons, working in beads, tapestry techniques etc.

**Please note that this book is expensive if you buy it new, so unless you are giving it as a gift, I recommend buying a used copy.**
on March 7, 2012
This is a fact filled book. Easy to understand and I like the fact that it shows how to crochet right and left handed. Not many books show how to crochet for leftys. The pictorals on how to make the stitches is the best I have ever seen in any book. I have been crocheting for almost 50 years and even I learned from this book. I never knew I was doing anything wrong. I now know the correct way to do things. And its has improved not only the look of crocheting but my speed as well. I recommend this book for any one wanting to learn to crochet. Even long time crocheters could learn from this book.
VINE VOICEon March 6, 2010
I just recently taught myself, and have fallen in love with, crochet, and this book is my go-to book on all things crochet. I actually saw this book in my local arts and crafts supply store, and fell in love with it there, but with vendors like Amazon, who needs to pay full price? I keep my copy of Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet close at hand any time that I'm working with my now many light-up crochet hooks (LOVE those too! SUPER comfortable in the hand! The Crochet Lite Crochet Hooks-Size H 5.0mm The Crochet Lite Crochet Hooks-Size C 2.5mm The Crochet Lite Crochet Hooks-Size E 3.5mm, and use it as my standard source for answering any questions that I have about crocheting.

The book opens with a very informative, and interestingly written, history of crochet, as well as a section on crochet hooks through the decades (as crochet is actually a younger craft than one might think, going back no earlier than about 1823). This section is followed by the requisite types-of-yarn-and-what-they're-good-for section, which, really, is actually VERY helpful in determining what yarn/materials to use for what projects.

There isn't a huge amount of projects in this book, so you'll have to either look for patterns online or buy other books for a wide variety of things to make with your crochet tools and supplies, but the illustrations for how to do each stitch, be it simple or complex, are great, and address both Righties AND lefties beautifully. Each page that has instructions and illustrations (but no symbol charts or diagrams) for how to do each stitch has the corresponding Leftie-friendly illustration on the left, written directions down the center, and Rightie-friendly instructions on the right. It's really very cleverly, and helpfully, done.

As you progress through the book, the stitches that are introduced increase in difficulty. Thankfully, you've got those SUPER helpful how-to illustrations and instructions to help you through them. The projects that you encounter suit the difficulty level of the stitches being introduced into each section, so that you don't find yourself wandering on to a project that is a higher difficulty level than you're currently able to handle. The projects in the book vary from the very traditional-seeming, to the quite modern (although my mom did recently point out that those crocheted jewelry necklaces that I thought were so modern, actually hearken back to about the 70s, something that I never would've thought).

At the back of this book, you'll find quite an extensive stitch pattern gallery, again moving from the simple, to the complex, including edging patterns. I honestly found myself floored by just how many stitch patterns can be found in this section - there's probably a pattern for anything and everything you'd want to take on, regardless of your skill level.

Overall, I really do feel that this is a GREAT book for any crocheter, and I love the way that it's laid out and set up. I expect that this book is one that I'll keep close at hand throughout my crocheting days, especially considering how thoughtfully it's set up, and just how informative it is. It's a must-have!
on April 1, 2017
As long as you crochet this is the book to buy.. It's packed full of information, and I do mean packed! And the price is low.