Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 3, 2016
I purchased this microphone/headphone because I needed something that would work with Window's voice recognition software. I had injured my hand and was unable to type for over a month, so I was going to have to dictate to my computer for a while. It was not something I was looking forward to, since in the past I have found the software to be somewhat “glichy”, and more trouble than it was worth. However this time I had no choice. I first tried to use a standalone microphone, but I discovered that it was not very good at picking up my voice, and created lots of neck and back problems since I had to keep bending down to get my mouth as close to the microphone as possible. Therefore I thought perhaps a headphone microphone would work better, and also give me more freedom of movement. I researched many different headphone-microphones, many of which had bad reviews for being flimsy in construction as well as bad electronics. However I tried this unit, and I must say I was quite pleased. Yes it is not extremely solid in construction, yet is quite light on the head which is important if you’re gonna keep it on most of the day. The headphones are indeed stereo, and I have learned to enjoy the intimacy of music and other computer audio. Most important however is that the microphone is quite sensitive, and I realized that the speech recognition software is not as bad as I thought, it was just the quality of the microphone I was using before was not picking up my voice correctly. However this microphone, which is easily adjustable, does a great job of picking up the voice, and I find a 90% reduction in mistaken text from my dictation. In fact, this review is being "dictated" using this unit! For the price this is really a great unit. Of course if one is looking for sound with a booming bass, then I suggest buying specific headphones for that purpose. This is fine for me however and the reason for the purchase really has to do with the voice recognition, which it does perfectly. Its software downloads to your computer easily with the USB port (and a very generous cable length),and the interface between the headphones, the computer, and either Window's built-in speech recognition software, or any other software you may purchase is carefree. It is truly “plugged and go”! No need to look any further for these needs than this Koss Headset-Microphone..
91 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on November 19, 2016
I highly recommend these for Rosetta Stone software. We had purchased a more expensive headset with mic for our daughter to use with her Spanish Rosetta Stone homework. She was very frustrated, needed to correctly repeat words and phrases several to a dozen times before the software accepted it. Her lessons took much longer as a result and she dreaded them. Then I learned about headsets w/ mic made especially for voice recognition software, decided to give these a try and am so glad I did! Rosetta Stone is now working at least twice as easily for my daughter, she progresses through lessons 15-20 minutes faster and no longer dreads using the software. If you use Dragon or Rosetta Stone, I highly recommend giving these a try!
39 people found this helpful
on February 6, 2017
The headset's intrinsic microphone gain is very low, so I had to increase the gain by 20 dB in Window's settings for the microphone (and these settings are hard to find in Windows 7). If you have a Realtek audio chip, you can also increase the gain using Realtek's Sound Manager software.

So, after increasing the gain by 20 dB and enabling noise suppression in Realtek's Sound Manager, the headset works very well.
review imagereview imagereview image
16 people found this helpful
on September 6, 2015
I bought this for Dragon Dictate 4 for mac. I bought much more expensive headsets with mic at BestBuy, and although they assured me that the more expensive ones would work - they didn't work at all. The Koss -- much cheaper -- worked right out of the box. I had some music playing on my computer when i first plugged the Koss headphones into the computer. I wasn't thinking about the music when I put them on my head -- and my first response was -- whoa -- that music is really loud and clear. Although I didn't buy them for sound -- I was impressed.

When I adapted the mic to the speech recognition application -- it made a significant improvement. However, I was having a lot of issues with Dragon 4 for mac, so even though there was a noticeable improvement - it was hard to tell how good it really was. I recently upgraded to Dragon Dictate 5 for mac -- which is a significant jump upwards -- from version 4 (the speech recognition still has some issue -- but much better / significantly less frustrating. I tried Dragon 5 without the Koss and with the Koss -- and the Koss mic clearly made a difference.
17 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2016
I ordered this headset to use with my Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition program. I also use it with another speech recognition program that I use online.

I've been using it for a good while now off and on. This headset makes it easy for me to complete my writing projects quickly because I can dictate the information verbally instead of typing it.

PROS: You can dictate many writing projects. For example,you can dictate your post for your blogs and websites, for your social media sites, and you can dictate articles if you are so inclined.

The headset is lightweight but sturdy, and it is easy to use. It is adjustable so it will fit any size head from large to small.

The microphone is adjustable. It bends inward or outward so you can easily get it in just the right position from your mouth.

The sound quality is good. I only use it for dictating my writing and for listening to music. I find the sound quality to be perfect for me, although I am NOT a professional of any kind.

My daughter, a communications specialist on her job, has used my headset. She routinely records videos for presentations as part of her job. She reports that the sound quality is very good. She was impressed that I had such a nice set of headphones.

The extra long cord is a plus, in my opinion. The long cord makes it easy to move about the room as you dictate your work. You are not locked into one position where you have to sit still and stay put.

CONS: The earpieces do not cover your ears completely, so they are not as "noise-blocking" as my daughter finds necessary while recording videos.

Also, the two plugs are confusing for those like me who are not tech-savvy. The plugs are called Dual mini-jacks. One of them is for sound and the other one is for the microphone. It took quite a bit of experimenting on my part to find out which plug goes where.

In my opinion, this headset is worth the price. It is a good buy for the money if you are not looking for professional studio quality equipment.

Personally, I recommend this headphone set because it is sturdy, it is adjustable, it delivers good sound, and it is great for writing using speech recognition programs.
4 people found this helpful
on January 19, 2018
The headset itself is comfortable, the audio sound is good but the mic does not work. I tried everything from calling Koss to YouTube videos and I could not get it to work. The rep at Koss said I needed the usb adapter to plug them in together to make them work yet there is no adapter included with it to make that happen. I bought two - neither package had a usb adapter. I bought an adapter from Amazon. The mic still does not work. My system recognizes it. Can't get anything from it. The adapters and one headset will be going back. Both would go back but I was so certain they would work I got rid of the box.
2 people found this helpful
on March 23, 2015
Purchased a new computer last July. This new system is a whole lot more powerful than my last system, so I went down the road of VOIP through Google Hangouts on this computer to make local and long distance telephone calls. Holding a cell phone or using a bluetooth ear piece can be challenging and my arm gets sore holding the phone for any length of time.

Read a whole lot of reviews for headsets, particularly USB headsets. Came across this headset. I've always had good luck with Koss products, My first was back in the early 70's with the Koss Pro4-AA headphones. Used them for years before something happened that caused me to discard them in the trash. Dumb me. I could have sent them in to be rebuilt and returned in perfect working order. Oh well, live and learn.

Anyway, I came across this combo 2 ear speaker headset. Peaked my interest and the favorable reviews made my decision. After 9 months of constant use, here is what I have learned:

* Lightweight head set that has two ear sound (I'm half deaf)
* Foam pad for ear protection while resting on your ears
* The ear pad's have some swivel to them for comfort
* The headset hugs your head, but not too tightly
* I wear glasses and I don't have problems with the ear pads digging into my glasses with excessive force
* 2 hour conference calls and my ears remain comfortable
* Adjustable boom mic with noise cancellation capability really helps
* The USB cable is more than long enough - at times too long
* The boom mic swivels up over your head if you want to listen to music
* Lifetime warranty - like better Koss headphones
* The headband adjustment from head to ear height is nice to fit any shaped head

What I don't like:
* I have to keep readjusting the top of the headset over time
* The top band is narrow (3/4"), the head band on top should be wider

On conference calls with multiple people, you can hear everyone clearly. On a single call to a Land line, you hear absolutely nothing (like hiss, pops or clicks). You and your callers feel they are standing right next you talking to each other.

I have not installed my old version of Dragon Dictate, so I cannot comment about Voice Recognition.

I can comment about Google Voice Search in Chrome and the accuracy is spot on. What I request via voice search come up every time.

For the price and the quality, you cannot beat this headset.
3 people found this helpful
on February 13, 2018
There are several problems with these headsets and why I gave them 1 star.

The microphone comes right up to your nose, it sits about an inch away from my nose and there's no way to adjust it any lower or move it out to the side more. People can hear you breathing into it on the other end because of this.

There is no controller on the headset to adjust the volume or at the very least put it on mute. If you're using these as a phone head set like I am through my computer, then you know how important that can be so you're not having to click around and try and find where to adjust the volume or if you need to put it on mute quickly.

These should cost $5
One person found this helpful
on January 25, 2017
I was excited to receive my microphone headset as I have carpal tunnel in both hands and need help with typing. Or use the headphones just a couple times and the earpieces came out and won't go back in. They pop back in but come out after. Waste of money. Is ofcourse made in China. I will be returning it.
review image
6 people found this helpful
on July 27, 2017
$8.28 shipping fee to return a $12.54 item???!!!! I would rather give the item away!!! This item HURTS my ears and triggers neck pain and a headache after wearing it for 3 minutes!!! After 3 minutes of discomfort, pain, and now a headache, I can not justify an $8.28 shipping fee for a $12.54 item. Very angry. Plus the microphone portion doesn't go all the way down so it is in my field of vision and that bothers the heck out of me.
2 people found this helpful