Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 50 reviews
on April 10, 2017
Wendy brings forth another view of intelligence beyond that of mammals. it's a shame these creatures only live a couple of years...
on March 11, 2011
I can't honestly say I loved absolutely every second. There were moments when I found Williams's prose a little cutesy, or her transitions jarring, or I wished there was more detail about something. But for a slim book, it packs in an incredible amount of breathtaking information and also does a great job of presenting enough of the basic scientific context to let you understand the material. (E.g., I understand how neurons work a lot better now.) Consistently enthralling.
on September 19, 2012
I had heard good things about this book, but was not very excited. I bought it because my friend gave me money for it, but I did not expect much. Yes, I do adore squid, but I feared that this book would simply not meet my expectations.

I was right. It didn't meet my expectations. It blew right past them.

Written in a manner that invokes the reader's interest, this book discusses everything you have ever wanted to know about cephalopods (focusing on squid but touching on others) and more. I learned about neurology, humans, the sea - everything. Once I started reading, I could not put it down. Yes, I would have liked to know more about certain topics, but to appease this desire she would have had to have written a book thousands of pages long. I know how to do research; I looked up everything else I wanted to know.

This book is fascinating, filled with a plethora of fact, and is a pleasant read. I recommend it. Seriously. And I don't write that many reviews.
on April 18, 2016
First off I am not a book critic. Also I don't fancy myself a book critic.
I am also not an expert on cephalopods.
That being said: I liked this book very much. I found it fast paced and very interesting. Right after reading it I went to the aquarium and looked at the cephalopods with a fresh eye.
on August 13, 2016
Fascinating! Reads more like a novel than a text book.
If you're into this sort of thing pick it up. Great book.
on May 27, 2015
Everything you've ever wanted to know about squids and their family. This book is a fascinating read. I've always loved cuttlefish and they are featured too, though not as much as the prima donna of the family, the giant squid.
on May 29, 2015
A really great book that makes all the science accessible even to someone with difficulty reading. I love it and I love Wendy's writing style. It reminds me a bit of Mary Roach actually! Very enjoyable, I adore my copy and always make room for it even when we've had to move with the most minimal library possible.
on February 25, 2011
On the island of Mallorca where I live, squid, octopus, and cuttlefish (sepia) have long been great seafood. Now I know more than the taste of them! Wow, the Humboldt squid must be delicious. I love that Gilly munched on a squid tentacle fresh from the sea - how Mediterranean. The mix of science, adventure, and humor was perfect. The publisher put together a gorgeous book, I want a tee shirt now with the cover graphic. Williams has the perfect voice to explain some really neat science without overwhelming the reader. I'll be looking for more from this author in the future.
on September 26, 2016
About some some of our most famous, or infamous, sea creatures. I skipped over over some of the more detailed neurological science parts, but still enjoyed the book. Well researched.
on January 20, 2016
I loved the book Kraken. It opened up a whole new world to me about octopus and squid. It was fascinating.

Sarah Litch