Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Legendary Pictures' Krampus, a darkly festive tale of a yuletide ghoul, reveals an irreverently twisted side to the holiday. When his dysfunctional family clashes over the holidays, young Max (Emjay Anthony) is disillusioned and turns his back on Christmas. Little does he know, this lack of festive spirit has unleashed the wrath of Krampus: a demonic force of ancient evil intent on punishing non-believers. All hell breaks loose as beloved holiday icons take on a monstrous life of their own, laying siege to the fractured family's home and forcing them to fight for each other if they hope to survive.
Top customer reviews
1.This poisoned holiday card is my new all time favorite Christmas movie.
2. This is a weird little indie movie that somehow got big-budget Hollywood backing. It's based on the old German legend of Krampus, a horned creature that shows up at Christmas time to kidnap and kill bad children.
3. It's about relatives getting together for the holidays. They all hate each other. When one of the kids loses his faith in a happy life, the neighborhood is assaulted with a blizzard... and some pretty nasty things in the blizzard.
4. The movie is hard to categorize. It starts out as a mean-spirited comedy and dark cultural satire. But it increasingly adds horror elements, so it ends up being very different than it started. It's an odd combination, and some people won't like it just because they aren't sure what it is that they are watching. If you want a full-on horror movie, you may be disappointed. But that's not what it's trying to be, and it makes that clear from the very first scene.
5. It was written and directed by Michael Dougherty. Dougherty also wrote and directed my favorite Halloween movie, "Trick 'r Treat", which has a similar feel and style to this one.
6. Some of the horror sequences are confusingly edited, which makes me suspect they were cut down so the movie could go from being rated 'R' to 'PG-13'. This is annoying, but the movie doesn't lose its punch. So while this movie may not be rated 'R' it is NOT for little kids. Some children will be terrified by the events of this film. Some adults may even object to a few scenes.
7. There is an underlying theme of sacrifice in the film, including the sacrifice of innocence.
8. I was worried about how the movie was going to end, but Dougherty doesn't betray what he built up. The conclusion of the film was very satisfying.
9. This movie takes everything you love about Christmas and twists them inside out. It corrupts all that is sacred about the holiday. It's a beautifully whimsical, horrific fairy tale that exposes the human darkness and false happiness of the most wonderful time of the year.
Blu Ray Review ( 2 Discs)
Includes both Dvd and Blu ray
Krampus Comes Alive! (30min) - Five part featurettes on different aspects of the production
Behind the Scenes at Weta Workshop: Krampus (9min) - Focuses on the the creation of the costumes and characters.
Alternate ending and a big collection of deleted scenes
Audio commentary with director and co writers.
Gallery of concept art, publicity art and storyboards.
The Gingerbread men and the toys make this movie. Funny one liners and not too much language or gore. It probably would have been PG in the 80s.
Also, when you get close to the end, tell me someone doesn't remind you of Luke Skywalker at the end of The Force Awakens, if he was aged another 100 years.
The main problem is I didn't care about any of these people, instead of feeling scared for these folks, I was deciding which order I'd like to see them die in. The monsters were well done, especially the nasty CGI gingerbread men. There was some beautiful winter snowstorm scenery and it could have ben atmospheric, but it goes for more of a B-movie vibe and never really establishes any atmosphere.
Overall it was a decent enough waste of 90 minutes. Nothing special at all, but there are plenty of worse movies out there.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy