Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on August 16, 2017
I read all of Lamdin,s books about Captain Lewery. It appears that the Kidd books will be as good. A very big task. Well worth 8 bucks to trial. I equally enjoyed the narration.
on November 22, 2015
Having read the whole series of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey / Maturin novels 3 or 4 times I thought I would try the first of this series. It was a change to read about characters at the lower end of the naval hierarchy but I found the way Kydd rose in the ranks from a pressed man slightly incredible. Even the Author admitted such cases were very few in that period.
I did enjoy the book as there were few digressions from the main plot, (unlike the Aubrey / Maturin novels which do tend to meander a bit).
I may continue with this series, but not in the immediate future.
on September 12, 2013
Kydd follows the life of a newly pressed landsman into a ship of the line in the navy of Nelson's time. This novel gives a new and refreshing look into the life of a lower deck member of the crew of a square rigged battleship describing many of the hardships and injustices suffered.
Having read most of the books of the well known authors Forester, O'Brien and Kent I found Kydd interesting in contrast as the former authors focus mainly on the lives of people in authority, and the bigger picture of the campaigns of the era.
Stockwyn, on the other hand with Kydd, works the ship, reefs the sails, loads the guns and takes punishment as an ordinary seaman subjected to the discipline and the harsh, crowded environment endured by the sailors of the time.
Some of the technical descriptions may baffle the uninitiated however, any one with a passing knowlege of ships, or an inquiring mind, will enjoy the trips into the bowels of a ship or up into the rigging to 'pass the earring'.
on April 20, 2017
It makes you feel that you are present on the ship and see everything.
on October 1, 2014
Sea-going novels -- ones that have followed C.S. Forester's great Hornblower -- miss the astonishing seamanship that kept the sailing-ship navies afloat. Stockwin's Kydd series reminds us that about 90% (or much more) of the thought, skill, and effort of our heroes went into ship-handling. Thank you, Julian Stockwin! Forester is still the best at telling a story -- just read (or re-read) his opening story in "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower". However, Stockwin gives us that 90%. Makes it real. Shows (as in "show don't tell") a young man pressed into the Royal Navy and becoming a skill seaman.

I'll read all the Kydd series now!
on August 11, 2017
This story will flow realistically into this progression. Of course I can't know where he is going with the story, but it boxes well.
on October 22, 2016
Very reminiscent of the Hornblower series, great descriptive action and an insight into the harsh realities of life at sea in those days. Found it a little difficult getting familiar with the terminology of things aboard a British Man o War, but no more I am sure than a pressed man of the day and without the discomfort. Looking forward to book 2
on August 22, 2013
I've read dozens and dozens of Naval Historical Fiction, possible over a hundred by now. I was afraid they were beginning to get a bit repetitious, but Julian Stockwin has brought something new to the genre. I've read the first four books of the series, waiting for the complete series to go digital before I move on, but the Kydd character gets a hook into you. I think it is the world of the ordinary sea man and the language. I hate the way Amazon launch a set of books and don't digitise the whole series. When I get into a series, I want to just keep reading. I get mad when a whole series is in print, but not available as a complete Kindle experience. If I have to buy paperbacks, I'll use my local book store, not amazon.
on September 10, 2014
I heard a lot of good things about this series of novels and I'm a big fan of this type of fiction. It's not deep storytelling and is more on par with the style of Louis Lamour than other authors of this genre. I'll try the next couple books of the series only because I like these stories, but the jury's still out as to whether I can finish the series.

I prefer Patrick O'Brian and Dewey Lambdin for these stories, but I'll give it another try by reading the next book.
on September 6, 2014
If you are a fan of the late Patrick O'Brian and his Aubrey/Maturin series then this book and, probably the series, will be your cup of tea. I must admit to discovering this author and his work late in its progress but thanks to Goodreads I did manage to find them. Now that I have read the first entry in this author's series I will definitely seek out the rest. The age of fighting sail is a ceaselessly enjoyable period in history full of great tales of the sea and the people that manned the great ocean going vessels of the time.