Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,466 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,535 reviews
on November 26, 2014
We have a 80 pound female German Shepherd.The size of extra large dog pack fits her just right. We have her to wear the pack when we go on a hike and to the park. We can put treats, her water, a tennis ball, and things that we bring to hikes. We don't put heavy things in the pack since she just started with it and we are training her to be comfortable with it. I recommend to treat the dog when they wear it, that way the dog will slowly build the positive association between pack and treats. Also, it looks really good and is made of good materials. Great buy.
review image review image review image
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2015
I have a 45lb Husky and the medium fits pretty well on him. Unfortunately on our first 8 mile hike, the pack on the right side started to rip at the seams. The pack was not over loaded as it was only filled with one days worth of dry food. I was even carrying the pup's water. I was able to get a replacement free of charge because it was within 30 days of buying it. The replacement pack is the same model and I haven't seen any reason to believe it will rip at the same spot. Manufacturing is never 100% perfect and flaws fall through the cracks. Overall this pack is good and the pup seems to like it as well.
on August 26, 2015
Bought this for my 20 lb. Rat Terrier. Ordered a size SMALL and it fits her perfectly. Reading the other reviews said that this brands sizing ran a little on the bigger size. I bought this so my dog could carry all of her own crap when we head out of town together and when we go hiking or to the beach. It carries her portable water dish, leash, poo bags, toys, food, and a collapsible water flask. When your dog is wearing it, make sure that the weight is evenly distributed. I carry the heavier items in my backpack when we are out hiking as to not overload my dog making her tired. Basically, this is my dogs doggy backpack. It seems to be constructed fairly well for the price. I notice the zippers are waterproofed which is awesome, there is some mesh pockets in the compartments, and the colored portion can be removed by unsnapping a buckle and pulling off the Velcro body harness. My dog used it for the first time on a 4 mile hike and I continued to check her underarms for discomfort or redness and she seemed to do very well. Now when she sees my grab her doggy pack she gets excited and jumps around until I go to place it on her, she sits still. I would def. recommend this if you are not looking to spend an arm and a leg on a dog backpack.
review image review image review image review image
on March 26, 2014
My hiking buddy is a 70lb Golden Retriever named Kaizer.

He is shown in the customer images wearing his green size L (which fits him perfectly).

I was surprised by the amount of space in this pack. Although I don't plan on having him carry much outside of his own poop bags and water, it will be nice to have the extra room just in case we go on a longer hike. The "y" design at the front is much more stable and comfortable for him than many other packs I've seen as well. We plan on kayaking this summer with him as well and the secure belly straps and handle on his back will help with getting him "back on board" incase he jumps out of the boat after something.

The pack itself is nicely constructed and doesn't appear cheap, but I will be cautious about him getting too hot as it doesn't appear to be very breathable. Outside of that, I love it!
on September 29, 2013
I bought this backpack a year ago for my lab and queensland heeler mix. She weighs exactly 50 pounds and the medium size is max for her. A few things you should know, a dog can only carry 15% of thier bodyweight max, and this bag will easily let me put way more than that in it. However the larger gear bags on it are nice because they allow the wight she is carrying to be lower on her body, also there is very nice water bottle loops in the bottom of the pack, therefore not allowing the weight to shift around on longer trips. The bag is a good size for her except that the straps are as big as they will go and it will shift too far forward when we are going downhill. Also make sure that the front belly strap clears the dogs shoulder by at least 3 finger widths, otherwise the pack will shifr around a lot. This is easily done if the saddlebags are removed and the harness is worn alone, it will allow you to see how the dog moves with the harness and make adjustments accordingly. The left pack on mine almost tore completley off when Tikka got stuck in some brush, i was able to stich it back together easily though. An additional fix that i made was to replace the plastic snaps with metal ones, as the plastic ones were unsnapping when we used the grab handle. So if you plan on using this on long backpacking trips like we do, that upgrade would be reccomended. I will share picks of her in the pack.
review image review image review image review image
on March 2, 2013
The video is demonstrative of the type of activity Alice does.

I'm going to go ahead and get this out of the way. The clips the hold the chest straps together CONSTANTLY come undone. About every 5 minutes or so on our walks, I have to stop and reclip them. I've tried looser, tighter, tried to find a sweet spot where we can get through a walk without the pack coming undone. But nothing has worked. Also if I try to actually pull hard on the top handle, one or both of the clips are likely to fail.

That said, Alice at about 110 lbs is over the recommended weight for the extra large pack. I could not find a bigger one, so was forced to get this one. Perhaps more normally shaped/sized dogs will be fine here.

The pouches are very large and useful. Alice can carry four bottles of water, food for two days, and several rope toys with a LOT of room to spare. I put a small first aid kit in there for when we go on day hikes too. There is also a mesh pocket in each one to keep gear separate.

The top portion with the pouches detaches from the lower portion which is a nice feature if you want to be able to quickly attach/detach the pouches. Unfortunately though, the lower part then has exposed velcro...the scratchy kind that likes to pick up grass and twigs.

The quality of the fabric I would say is medium. It's right smack in the middle of a free bag you got at a convention and a hardcore Alaskan adventure type bag. This is basically what I would expect at the price point, so no surprise there. I would assume, though, that at some point after a couple years of hard use, I will have to buy another pack.

Long story short, if you don't have an oddly shaped/sized dog, the Outward Hound backpack will probably fit your needs. It's not perfect, but gets the job done.
99 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2015
At first glance this seems like such a great buy compared to other packs on the market. We took our very large Golden on a backpacking trip this weekend. It was easy to get on and adjust so that it fit right. We loaded his pack and took-off for a fairly easy 4 mile hike. During the hike the pack kept slipping like it was off-balanced. We adjusted the straps (thinking that they were too loose) and made sure that each saddle bag was evenly weighted. The slipping continued to happen, but our dog seemed perfectly fine never even sniffing at the pack, so we continued on the hike. because of all of his fur, I didn't notice until we returned and I was given him a bath, large open chaffing wounds on his chest across where the straps would be!! We feel so horrible. Golden are known for being so affable with high-pain tolerances (one of the reasons why they are good with children) that they rarely complain about pain. I would be very careful before purchasing this for my dog. It definitely needs better padding across the chest, something the more expensive packs have. My guess is that if our dog was less easy going, then we wouldn't have gotten far with this pack.
Aside from the horrible design, the quality is definitely not the same as the better packs you see at REI- canvas is thinner and the zippers seem like they would go after a couple of uses. Again, this is a vey inexpensive pack- but you get what you pay for.
on January 13, 2015
I have a Shiba Inu puppy and he's got so much energy that regular walks don't burn off his energy enough and he pulls a lot. I purchased this for him so that he'd have a "job" to do on his walks. 1 water bottle on each side amd voila! No more pulling and our regular walks now burn off more energy.
review image
on December 6, 2014
Good bag. Between the sides, I was able to fit 2 water bottles, 2 collapsable bowls, small bag of treats, and small first-aid kit. I could have easily stuck in more if necessary, but we've only gone on day trips with it. There is no way to connect a harness underneath and a leash will slip under the bag if it lags, but not a deal breaker. I like that it can velcro off if needed too, so he doesn't go lopsided if I need to take something out for snack time and I don't have to go through the whole production of putting the entire thing back on him when it's time to head out again. Good for dogs who need that extra weight/sense of duty when walking. I think for someone who needs a multi-day pack for long trips, this isn't the bag for them. More of a daily walk or one night trip. Seems to be made of pretty good material too. I occasionally have to tuck in the belly straps because they're too long and he might pee on them, but that's my only real complaint so far. He adjusted to the bag with no problem at all. (I have a 45lb Blue Heeler mix and ordered the medium which is a little big for him, but its not been a problem)
Enthusiast: Petson March 28, 2017
Was really wanting to like this pack since had good luck with one of their prior dog back packs. The "vest" portion of the pack fit him really well and seem well made and comfortable. The trouble came when I attached the removable packs. They are held on by only a velcro strap looping around the vest chest strap and then a single snap buckle at the front of the vest. The front attachment strap broke within about 5 minutes of first using it. I figured I could easily sew it back so went ahead and tested it out. It just seems like the packs move around too much. Nothing solid holding them in place. If they attached with one long strip of velcro or actual buckles I think it would work great. A shame...think would be excellent design if either the packs were permanently attached or they improved the type of attachment. Side note....5 stars for the sellers. They promptly responded to my return request and after I sent a photo of the broken strap they sent me a label to make the return.
review image review image