Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 53 reviews
on February 22, 2017
After staring at this for a year I finally got one. I have the ceramic slicer and use it almost every day. I really thought this julienne would become my most used kitchen tool. The problem isn't the width but the thickness. It is so thin it doesn't make julienne cuts but more like shreds. It is about 2 mm thick. Not even 3 which is the bare minimum. I got a great price on it so I'm not out much, but I REALLY wanted it to be my go to tool and it fails.
on April 9, 2016
I love the adjustable slicer this company makes--I have had mine for 5 years and it is still sharp and works beautifully. This item also works very well... but almost as a shredder. There is nothing defective about the product, but it makes very tiny julienne, and the description says "wide"--do not be fooled. It makes very fine, very thin, super skinny julienne, which is lovely if that's what you want and expect. Just know what you're getting and enjoy your perfect itty-bitty matchsticks.
on January 1, 2011
First of all, for those who wonder how to store this (and the other Kyocera slicers) safely, without damaging the fine ceramic blades in the drawer (or your fingers groping for it): SAVE THE PACKAGE! Mine came with a clear plastic front piece, shaped like the slicer, on the front, and a piece of card stock on the back. The card can be slid back into the clear front piece, providing a perfect protective case. Seemed like common sense to me. The slicer makes nice matchstick pieces of carrot, daikon, green papaya, cucumber, etc, in a flash. You might get nicer cuts with careful knife work, but it would take forever. The guard piece you use to grip short pieces of vegetable doesn't really work that well, as it's hard to keep on the track, but just resign yourself to using the bottom third of the carrot for something else, before your fingers get that close to the blades, and you'll probably find it quite satisfactory. Using mine for years with no cuts yet...

Update; 12/28/12. Almost two years later, still love my slicer, but too much pressure while using it has finally caused it to crack at it's most vulnerable spot, so now there's some flex in it that will make it more of a challenge to use. Blades are still sharp though. I like it enough to replace it, but I wish it was made with a thicker, stronger plastic for more longevity.
on September 7, 2014
I love this slicer. I use it nearly every day and it's become a standard item in my stable of kitchen gadgets.

This is the second one I've owned. I bought it to replace one I bought from WIlliams-Sonoma about 7 or so years ago. (I had finally stressed the handle too much and it broke - looks like Kyocera redesigned the handle to be more sturdy on this new model). I originally perused the Williams-Sonoma website and found the same item to be significantly less expensive at AMAZON AND free shipping too!

Regarding it's performance: The ceramic blade is *sharp*. Exercise caution when shredding things by hand. It shreds vegetables so easily. I regularly use it to shred carrots on top of our daily salads. It's my favorite tool for carrot shredding to be sure - ha, so much so that I had to order one immediately once my other one wore out.

I love my Kyocera slicers. I also have one without the julienne teeth for more simple slicing. Both are highly recommended. You'll find the best price & shipping on Amazon. Buy with confidence.
on November 9, 2008
With this you get professional thin (amazon description says 1/8" but the one that arrived was 1/10" or 0.1" compared to 0.09" for the regular julienne slicer, I don't think that makes it much different to advertise this product as giving you a "wide" julienne... the size difference is so minute that you probably won't be able to tell) julienne cuts easily and fast! It is amazing.
The finger protector is not perfect but works fine when the vegetable gets to about 2 inches high or less. Obviously, it will leave about a 1/3 inch stump you'll have to either cut yourself or use it for another time. I say this because the julienne pieces are so beautifully uniform that you'd probably want to not mix anything else :)

What's great about this product is that the blade is made from ceramic with some kind of high tech diamond sharpened technology and it sure is sharp! And they don't rust or corrode and they advertise that it stays sharp 10 times longer than steel blades.

Highly recommend! My only regret is that I did not get the slicer together, I'm going to get the double-sided slicer, for vegetables like onions and peppers which can't be julienned.

I think I could make great hashbrown with this stuff in no time!!!
on June 28, 2010
I've been cutting by hand for hours what kyocera can do in just minutes for much too long. I've only used the device a few times for the last month so I can't speak to it's longevity but it has definitely made life much easier for me. I like how small it is and how little space it takes up in the dishwasher compared to my bulky food processor that I would never use due to it's inconvenience. I've been mostly cutting zucchini so far and I can't wait to test it out on green papaya for some Vietnamese salads!

Update: 3 years later, after weekly use, the kyocera is going strong. The blade is as sharp as ever and I am able to julienne green papaya and carrots for thai salads, zucchini for paleo spaghetti, and much more! The handheld finger protector cracked but now I just use a fork in its place which is just as effective for me.
on May 1, 2015
I look at some of the negative reviews and just laugh at the absurdity. Let us get a few things straight first, then I will comment on the product.

1. This Kyocera Julienne Slicer is NOT a professional mandolin slicer, it is a very sharp twenty dollar plastic kitchen gadget.
2. This Kyocera Julienne Slicer is intended to be used sitting atop of a bowl, the ridges on the bottom of the tool do a very good job gripping a bowl.
3. This Kyocera Julienne Slicer is made from 98% Chinese molded polymers, not one bit of it is rigid stainless steel. If it were the cost would jump.
4. This Kyocera Julienne Slicer can be stored with the finger guard covering the blades securing it with a rubber band, placed flat in a drawer.

With these facts in mind, I can say this tool is a very handy kitchen device. It will do the job as intended so long as you do not force it to do something it was never designed to do. For example, you can not place this Kyocera Julienne Slicer over a bowl and attempt to Julienne slice a tomato, or lean into it to Julienne slice a sweet potato.

I can not for the life of me, ever compare this with a professional grade mandolin Julienne slicer costing ten times as much money. It is like comparing an iPad with an Etch-A-Sketch.

The ceramic blades ARE VERY SHARP as they are Japanese crafted ceramic blades, some of the best in the world. As with any mandolin style slicer, DO wear a slice resistant glove as it is by far less painful and less expensive than a trip to an emergency clinic.
on November 15, 2010
I had high hopes for this little gadget. Yet I stand before you today with some sad news.

The good news is that she is a sharp little thing. And the safety handle works better than average in my experience.

But in less than 2 years by pet looks like a rather sad jack-o-lantern with all of those missing teeth.

But on the right hand half, it can still cut those skinny little carrot strips for salads [which I love] and garlic is good. It is definitely go0d with the harder vegetables. I like my onions diced a little larger and only tried an onion once. Still, I use it every couple of weeks, but with the decision to make over again, I think that I would settle for something either much cheaper or more versatile.
on October 11, 2014
Mandolins never work as well as I want them to. Still, it's better than julienning by hand. Also, Drizzling a little olive oil on the blades helps a lot. As always watch your fingers. Use the guard whenever possible.
on April 20, 2009
Read the safety information on this! Julienned finger tips are not pleasant! Lesson learned. With that said, this rocks. I looked at a bunch of other mandolins prior to buying the Kyocera Julienne slicer and the double edge slicer. I settled on two items instead of one that has multiple blades and I haven't been sorry. If you want vegtaibles to look like a million bucks when chopped up this is the tool. Beautiful little strips of carrot, zucchini, potato, apple, everything. It is just so cool. Buy it, you won't be sorry. It rocks.