Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 119 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 133 reviews
on September 14, 2011
For the money, this is the best slicer you can get. I thought it was going to be adjustable but then realized I had purchased the wrong one. However, I do like this one because it is double edged and I can slice things twice as fast. The only setting it comes with is extremely thin. If you need thicker slices, buy the adjustable version instead of the double edged. 5 stars
on March 20, 2014
This is great! I love it, so why the four stars: It's dangerous.

Pros: It is sharp. It slices very thin just as I wanted. The slicing jobs go very fast.

Cons: Because it is sharp, extra care must be used to clean it. The hand guard doesn't grab hard vegetables like carrots or radishes, so I use my fingers to hold the items and try to be extra careful. Even so, the tip of one of my fingers was sliced completely off. Because it is so sharp, the cut was clean and the finger has been healing very fast. Because the slices are so thin, it was severe, but not rush to the hospital bad. I still use the slicer.

So now I'm wondering if I should buy thimbles to wear over my fingers when I use it. Would I recommend it? To most adults, yes, but I would also warn about how sharp it is.

Update: It's been about three and a half years since I purchased two of these. One is still working perfectly fine. The other was given to my daughter and recently broke. The blade fell out. I think she may have pressed down too hard and the blade bowed and was pushed out. I'm still pleased with the product.
on January 11, 2016
I was inspired to purchase this over a year ago by the beautiful raw salads at a local eatery - paper thin radishes and beets are so elegant but so hard to achieve! This slicer quickly became my go-to for fast fun fancy salad or garnish making. I LOVE the two sided blade (vs. the adjustable one with a one sided) because it allows you to so fast, almost too fast! Sharp!! I got gloves after almost immediately cutting myself.

I recently left this at a friends house (yes, I travel with my favorite knife and this mandolin) - since it's a far drive I told him to enjoy the slicer and immediately ordered another.

Btw, I have an expensive adjustable stainless mandolin, but it's been collecting dust for years. So huge, clunky and hard to clean. I'm contemplating the Kyocera set for adjustable widths and julienne. I know this trusty tool will remain my main work horse tho, that double-edge ceramic action cannot be beat!!!
on June 4, 2015
I bought this in July of 2013 and I still have it. It is rust proof and it has made it for almost 2 years. Reason I bought it is b/c we used to have one that looked just like this but I could adjust to different width sizes. I tried other Mandolins but since they were metal started to rust and didn't give me the paper thin slice I was looking for. I have a green iguana and he loves zucchini/squash. He has a mouth deformity so it's hard for him attain his food when he's trying to eat. It's easier for him to eat leaves and so I started slicing his zucchini and he started to destroy all his food. The first slicer broke but I was able to find the company that made it and looked for another slicer. This is the only option that came up. I cared about the paper thin option only which is why this was so perfect. It's slices with sooo much ease and it's really fast. I believe that it did come with the guard but I don't use it since I mostly use it for zucchinis, I am able to finish towards the bud/stem. I haven't had an accident yet. Does as described. Just make sure you wash it after using. the vegetables get stuck to it after it dries but wash in hot water does the trick.
on August 24, 2016
If a sinkhole swallowed my kitchen, this would be the first thing I purchase. I love it. Slices very very thin, easily, in both directions. Somehow it is easy to clean. You can cut a whole onion in less than 10 seconds. Pretty ergonomic. Lightweight but doesn't feel flimsy. Works with hard cheeses. I've saved probably 100 hours of my life that I would have otherwise spent using a knife.

And it's cheap! Stop what you're doing and buy one immediately.
on February 3, 2016
This is my favorite new kitchen tool! Extremely sharp, nimble, and does exactly what it is made for. Cuts through vegetables like butter and has a double-sided blade for even faster slicing. Works great for making finely shredded cabbage for cole slaw, great for cucumbers, onions and anything you need thinly sliced. My sister was using one last time I visited and I was so impressed I bought one for myself.

Pros: super-sharp, easy to clean, lightweight, nothing to rust
Cons: no thickness adjustment, on the small-ish side

The cons really aren't that bad and I find that the thickness is perfect for that "slivered effect" for onions, cabbage, and cucumbers.
on June 25, 2014
I originally decided to order the Adjustable slicer, but found the colors more attractive than the black. Unfortunately, I did not notice that that there are two quite different types of Kyocera Slicers. The ADJUSTABLE (black only) model has a fixed in place blade and a table (the end closest to the handle) that easily adjusts up and down to vary the thickness of the slice to 0.5 cm, 1.3 mm, 2.0 mm, or 3.0 mm, as shown in it's video.

The other slicer, listed as DOUBLE-EDGED, (available in other colors) has a fixed in place place table and blade that cuts "double", as the food is moved over the blade away from the handle, and again as it moves back over the blade. It cuts in 1.5 mm thickness only, which is quite thin, IMO. I returned the fixed double-edged one and got the adjustable, which IMO is much more versatile.

The video that is posted describing the difficulty of returning the food to the "starting position" is from 4 years ago, and I did not experience any catching on the return or non-cutting stroke.
on October 29, 2011
I've had this one for about a month now, and I can understand other folks comments on it, but I think there may have been some unrealistic expectations, as this is not a full size mandoline. If you're looking for a general purpose mandoline, then keep looking. This is a fixed pitch slicer, about 1/32" or maybe a little thicker, with a fairly small bed. It excels at slicing small items thinly and quickly. I was curious about how the ceramic blade would work, and the answer is that it's wicked sharp and works wonderfully.

My main uses for it are for salads, as it has a convenient pair of slots to hook it on the salad bowl, and you can shave your ingredients in rapidly (in both directions) then toss-- what would have been 5 or 10 minutes to assemble a simple salad turns into 2 or 3 instead. However, it's also great for shaving vegetables in other dishes, and I also use it on firm, highly-connected meats like smoked porks for sandwiches or soffrittos.

You can spend hundreds of dollars on a mandoline (and yes, I have a larger one for general use), but that isn't what this tool is. It's more a mini-mandoline to have at hand for when you want to quickly slice a cucumber; comparing it to a full size mandoline is like comparing a slicing knife to an electric slicer. You use a slicer for the roast, but you use a knife for the garlic. It's a great tool for what it does, and for under $20, it's a great addition to the long-tool drawer.

[Still a workhorse, as another reviewer mentioned] I use this slicer constantly; I like to serve salads frequently with dinners, and for the crisp vegetables, I put it on the bowl and then quickly slice them in. Another use I've found is to use it to slice ham thinly for sandwiches; I didn't think it would work, but I tried it out and the resulting ham shavings in sandwiches got raves from the family. It's like a paring knife for me-- used a lot without really thinking about it any more.
on February 3, 2017
It's a great mandolin slicer, that's for sure. Great for the price, but I would also recommend a cut-proof glove rather than the guide it comes with because the guide makes slicing larger food--like potatoes--a very slow process. Slow enough, in fact, that you won't want to use the guide and you could really cut your fingers without even realizing it because it is so sharp.
on May 14, 2017
this one is not adjustable! I returned it and will order the adjustable one.