Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on July 4, 2005
Three years ago I found this book at the Goodwill. While some of the book's structure could have been better written, the information was mind-boggeling. The copy I got at the Goodwill was missing a few dozen pages, so I used Amazon.com to purchase a new copy.

After I read the book I filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the FBI to acquire a copy of the FBI's files on Hubbard and Scientology so that I could varify the book's contents. That file, when it arrived, was over 6,000 pages thick. After much study and cross-reference, I concluded that there is NOTHING in the book that has not been varified as factual where and when it was possible to check.

Yes, Hubbard really was a raving madman.

Yes, Hubbard turned his fraudulent and dangerous "self-help" scam into a "religion" only because he wanted tax-exemption status and the other perks cults get from governments (such as the freedom to practice medicine without a license).

Yes, Hubbard was a paranoid schizophrenic.

Yes, Hubbard and his criminal enterprise did indeed engage in extortion, murder, espionage, burglry, jury tampering, witness intimidation, and other felonies.

If Hubbard was a "messiah," then so was Jim Jones (People's Temple) and "David Koresh" (Branch Davidians).

I highly recomend this book.
44 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2005
As a former Scientologist and staff member for five years, I can confidently state that, due to the Scientology propensity to sue all perceived attackers (indeed, it is their policy), EVERY word, EVERY sentence, EVERY fact in this book has been checked, double-checked, scrutinized in microscopic detail, and is absolutely true TO SCIENTOLOGY'S SATISFACTION. Anything and everything that can be disproved in a court of law will be viciously prosecuted by Scientologists as slander.

Scientology's lawyers have been through this book (and all others like it) with a fine-tooth comb, and cannot dispute a single detail. Their own vehemence for the "truth" convicts them by the very fact that this book is in print.

For the "one-star" reviewers - i.e. Scientologists - if you receive some benefits from this cult, great. Just realize WHAT you are dealing with. Don't believe everything they tell you, because as you probably know they lie for the "greater good." And the "greater good" can certainly include sucking little ol' you dry.

Bent Corydon is a hero and a brave man to go toe-to-toe with the enormous resources of the "Church" of Scientology.

He wins this fight with a knockout in the first round.
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2000
How I got started in Scientology and how Bent Corydon's book saved my sanity: I was once very troubled with things in my life: job, wife, friends, bills, lost hopes, bad childhood memories, alcoholic abusive father, etc... I looked everywhere to find some sort of relief from the pressure building from the millions of thoughts that can go through your head when you've lost perspective over many years. I went to counselors, psychiatrists, priests. None were effective in helping me find peace of mind. I simply wanted to find a way to stop irrational anxiety attacks, feelings of inadequacy, low self esteem, and self-destructive tendencies. Then I read "Dianetics" and was sold on how the stuff really made sense. I also read "Scientology-A new slant..." and "Fundamentals of thought" I thought, Wow! this "Tech" is amazing, I can rid myself of unwanted "engrams" and live a fuller, happier life? Well, sign me up. And so off I went to the closest "Org" and started "book one" auditing. It was only $400.00 for every twelve hours of auditing, no biggy, less than I'd pay a shrink, and I was feeling better. Oh, but wait, you're out of communication with your father, your ARC triangle is all "out." -Better enroll in a "Comm" course ($400.00). Oh! the comm course uncovered some overts and with-holds on dad? Time to see the ethics officer, yep, you guessed it, more course work required ($400.00) And we need to keep the auditting going, don't want those engrams getting away ($400.00), ($400.00)... The wife must be "aberrated" too -another set of course work/ auditing...($1200.00) Of course, I didn't object, I was a "pre-clear," I have a reactive mind, therefore my opinion doesn't matter, I'm not in my "valence" so I can't think clearly for myself. I need to keep shelling out the cash, so the "Org" will keep "Up-Stats" Bottom line: Once they've got the cash cow milking, the "course work" and "requirements" to move "up the bridge" keep multiplying, and your bank account disappears! This book reveals how "They" do it. How they take people at vulnerable times in their lives and start washing the last threads of assertiveness and self-determinism out of their heads and start replacing it with "Tech." -And once you've read this book, you'll see just how scarry that "Tech" can be. Please, if you are remotely interested in scientology or dianetics, read this book. It may just save your sanity, if not your life. I'm clear now, clear of a dangerous cult! Look closely if you are already involved. This book is instrumental in discovering all the ways this truly evil organization will intrusively invade and attempt to control your life! There are many people, as this book will prove, that have already succumbed to the "Tech." If you really need someone to talk to, the book will show you where to go in your area. I hope I've helped.
22 comments| 279 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2005
If you don't have a basic familiarity with Scientology this should NOT be the first book you read, but the second. First should be Jon Atack's A Piece of Blue Sky, which gives a compelling chronology of Hubbard and Scientology. You won't be able to put the book down. Nor this one, if you know the history. Corydon's book is essential supplementary material - disorganized, true, as some reviewers accurately note - but gives in-depth information on aspects Atack only alludes to, such as Hubbard's belief in black magic and how it influenced his supposedly "positive" religion. Also includes some frightening depositions from ex-Scientologists - the description of Hubbard's sexual "assault" on one victim (he lay upon her for an hour, motionless, limp, smothering, while she felt she was going crazy) is something you wont learn about from Tom Cruise and his ilk - the celebrities are feted by Scientology, and kept far away from the dark underbelly that powers the cult of Scientology.
on March 21, 2005
Being in this cult for almost 30 years it is obvious that a lot of the 1-star ratings are current scientologists. This is fact - no scientologist would even be allowed to read this book! or go on the internet regarding any points Corydon has made. That fact alone will tell you there are quite a few truths in this book. If Scientology does not want you to read it - then they are afraid they will lose their cult members. After leaving the cult I picked up the book and it answered quite a few questions I had.
on April 27, 2005
This book, while a bit unorganized is chock full of anecdotal information from the people who were around Hubbard for much of his life. From College dropout, to pulp fiction writer, failed WWII Navel officer, Science Fiction writer cult guru meglomaniac and finally, paranoid recluse. This book tracks the bizarre life of a very strange man and his legacy, the church of Scientology.
on December 14, 2004
I came upon this book during a crucial time in my life, when I was becoming interested in Scientology due to the influence of a best friend who had been a member of the church for her entire life. Fearing my involvement in the church of scientology, and also deterred by the price of the courses, my father bought himself and myself two books, the one which we speak of, and "A Piece of Blue Sky". Both books proved quite informational, forever discouraging me from ever wishing to be apart of the Church of Scientology. Though "A Piece of Blue Sky" was marvelously organized, Corydon's book proved to be a greater wealth of frightful information. The book speaks of many appalling events from L. Ron Hubbard's personal life, taken from accounts from ex-wives, former Scientology members, and several accounts from Hubbard's own son, L. Ron Hubbard Jr. Corydon describes the fundamental principles of Scientology, the varied historical growth of the Church of Scientology, the deranged behavior of Hubbard, the process from which he turned from science fiction writer to messiah, the "secret" language of Scientology, and anything else a person could possibly wish to know about the madman L. Ron Hubbard and his science fiction creation: the Church of Scientology. Despite the book's confusing layout and chronology, it is a must read for all who wish to protect themselves from the grasp of this cult-like organization.
on April 20, 2005
Page 383 sums up the whole doctrine of Scientology, namely its Kabalistic origin. If you like this book, check out the one by Lance Owens, who shows how Joseph Smith of Mormon lore engaged in a project in re-packaging Kabala, the result being Mormonism. Neither scientology nor mormonism want to remember their origin. But, let's face it, kabala has had an impact that is incredibly pervasive in Western society, from renaissance humanism to french enligthenment to the cults in America.
on May 22, 2005
Superbly interesting and frightening. Ought to be required reading for all as an education in how to recognize and avoid falling victim to mind control.
on April 23, 2006
I know Bent Corydon. He is not a liar. I have seen the proof. Read his book. Learn the truth about Scientology. Then stay far away. My family also had similar experiences with Scientology and they do not know Bent. A self help book and tax exempt status does not make you a religion. Kidnaping and racketeering does make you mafia.