Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 27, 2017
great product
on February 19, 2013
This sound system is so much more advanced than any I have found. The most unique feature is how the volume stays near or exactly the same. For example: You can stand 6 feet from the speakers and move 40 feet away and the volume level is the same in an enclose building. That is amazing!! Other sound systems are extremely loud when you are close to the speakers with the volume falling of severely 40 feet away. The clarity of the sound is un-matched!!
on September 14, 2015
perfect !!!
on July 4, 2014
Good price
on March 20, 2018
My 4-piece country rock band (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, fiddle, bass + four vocals and a "thumper") has been using the bose L2 Model 2 for about a year. I personally own a JBL SRX system powered by QSC 3602 (1800 watt) amps. At first I snubbed the bose system unfairly. I grew up on the philosophy that one had to move volumes of air to get full sound. As I've gotten older, less gear, less weight, is very appealing, but what about the full sound? Finally I decided to purchase my own Bose L1 Model 2 with ToneMatch. Now the band uses both with 2 players running through each bose system. sounds incredible. the biggest problem for an Electric Guitar player is tone. And reproducing that tone through a bose turned out much easier that I thought. I have two-rock, redplate, mesa, and twist, amplifiers. I am now using a TC Electronic Nova System effects pedal through a Mesa V-Twin pre-amp mini floorboard. I carry them in 2 small pelican storm cases. So simple. I get the Mesa sound that I like without any competing sound from amp....only sound from the Bose. Works amazingly well. I had to tweak the system to produce what I really wanted, but what system doesn't require that? Everything runs through 2 L1-Model 2 with tone match systems. We can play anywhere and sound superb. And, we don't need a semi or roadies to load in or out of our gigs. sweet.
on June 5, 2008
I have worked as a mobile DJ since 1980 in the Pittsburgh area, and for most of that time, I used two Bose® 802 speakers (the pro version of the 901s) and the 302 acoustimass bass enclosure (which weighs 115 pounds). There was never a doubt that I had the best sound possible.

However, I tore a rotator cuff lifting the 302 into the car a couple of years ago; the system was just too much to load and unload, what with the speakers, two amplifiers, mixer, etc.

In January, I discovered the Bose® L1 Model II sound system. It is light, compact, and efficient, and it delivers incomparable sound that rivals the 802/302 system pushing 1600 watts but without the weight and clutter of cables, etc.

For DJ applications, I highly recommend getting two B1 bass units to deliver the kind of bass that carries into the room and which would be suitable for dancing.

If you are using the system as a single performer, then one B1 unit might be sufficient. However, my experienced friends have told me that this system does not work as well as some other systems with DRUMS. For that use, you might want to consider a different set of speakers, especially subs.

When I set up my L1 with two B1 bass units at a venue, the first "test" song I play is Billy Joel's "Innocent Man." If you're familiar with it, you know it starts off with dynamic bass. Then the high register kicks in, and the L1 system produces such spectacular sound that at every single gig I've done with them, someone--waitresses, bus boys, caterers, hall managers--comes over immediately to rave about the sound. One of the most frequent comments is "I can't believe how CLEAR the sound is!"

For what I do (weddings, corporate parties, reunions, etc.), it's the ideal system. Cocktail hour and dinner music, which have to be low enough to allow conversations to be carried on at tables, was always a problem. In the past, people near the speakers thought it was too loud, while people in the back of the room couldn't hear the music clearly at all. Now, though, I can set the volume, and that volume is pretty much the same if you're standing 10 feet from the speakers or 75 feet from the speakers. There is a very slight falloff in the sound volume after the first 100 feet, but even at that, it still carries well. Even though I've been doing this for several months now, I'm still amazed at how even the sound coverage is.

When it comes to the dance music, the volume doesn't have to be as "loud" as it had to be with the 802/302 system. When I fired those speakers up, there was always a "hole" on the dance floor in front of the speakers because the volume was so high it would make your ears bleed (OK, so it wasn't that loud--but it was loud!). With the L1 system, the sound carries so well that the volume doesn't have to be set at the "make their ears bleed" level. I can set it for the "right" sound for the dance floor, and it carries all the way across the room at the right volume. And people dance right next to the speakers. I was surprised to see that, to tell you the truth, and I even took a picture in May of the parents of the bride dancing about 2-3 feet from the speaker system.

A nice feature for me is the fact that the amplifiers are built into the pedestal base unit that holds the cylindrical tower (two speaker sections that fit together rather securely in a seven-foot high tower). The amplifiers are created by Bose precisely for these speakers. The cylindrical tower contains 24 matched speakers that are placed at specific angles within the tower to create that 178-degree horizontal "throw" of the speakers. The amplifiers sense how many B1 units are connected and properly direct sound and power to them.

Lots of "stats geeks" have trouble with Bose® speakers because they are into amplifier wattage, speaker capacity in terms of "power," etc. However, if you understand that Bose is engineering the sound of these speakers in a new way, then you'll understand that the sound is not directly reliant on some of the "old" measures of powering speakers. The bottom line is the sound your ears hear, which is the truest test of any speaker system.

If you buy this system, I recommend the Bose® ToneMatch® audio engine to go with it. It has three microphone inputs that have universal inputs (either XLR or 1/4 inch jacks), and a fourth input that accepts two 1/4 inch jacks (either balanced or unbalanced). Stereo sources can be connected here, so that solves the "stereo iPod" problem mentioned by another reviewer. There is also another connection, a direct USB connection, which will accept sound (either stereo or mono) from a computer. I use my laptop and a firewire drive, and all the music comes through the USB port into the ToneMatch® audio engine. Another benefit of the ToneMatch® audio engine is the large number of "presets." The presets will tailor the sound of the system to fit various microphones; a wide variety of instruments; and pre-recorded (DJ) sound sources. There is a "Low Volume" preset that is nice for dinner music, for example, and a "high volume" preset for dance music that eliminates the tinny highs and midrange, and the sometimes muddy bass sound that is often produced by sound systems when they are pushing the higher power outputs.

I recently did an outdoor venue for a Car Show and had to cover a huge area with sound. I used one Bose® L1 Model II with two B1 units and one Bose® L1 Classic system with two B1 units (I picked that up "used" as a backup for the Model II and for use in larger venues). I pointed one system up the hill into the wind and the other system downhill with the wind behind it. The "uphill" sound carried very clearly for about 70 yards, after which it was audible but not crystal clear. The "downhill" sound carried 120 yards with no hint of falling off. That answered my question, "Will this system provide enough sound for a large venue?" Last year I played that same venue with my Bose® 802/302 system (1600 watts pushing it), and the comments I heard this year were that the sound was much better this year and it was clear all over the area. Take it for what it's worth.

Bottom line evaluation for who should/can best use this system:
* For single performers, this is outstanding.
* For DJs, this is outstanding.
* For live bands trying to use more than one or two performers per system, this may not be your best choice unless you get one system per performer.
* For drums, this might not be the best audio solution unless you have four B1 units.
* For small venues, this system may have no equal.
* For larger venues, an additional system might be required to cover the entire area.
* While I have not had this concern, other DJs have reported that it is helpful to elevate the system to get better "throw" over a crowded dance floor. (Lots of bodies will absorb sound.)

Bottom line evaluation for the system itself:
* For portability, sound quality, and ease of setup, this is outstanding.
* For clarity and range of sound, this is outstanding.
* For bass reproduction at high sound levels in very large venues, this system is average with two B1s; below average with one B1; and slightly above average with four B1s.

Overall, I give the Bose® L1 Model II system (with TWO B1 modules) the top rating, 5 out of 5.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1818 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 16, 2012
Firstly I get it late because the seller did not carry the Bose L1 Model II (although the system said they carried one), then it takes 10 minutes to unpack and setup out of the box, and then the Bass Module produces no sound. I could not believe it !! Tried all possible combinations (with mixer, without mixer, directly from ipod, direct microphone etc.) Still no sound at all. So after spending a couple of hours, called up Bose and they are shipping a 4 pin cable. Hope it works or I will again need to figure out ways to ship it out this 105 pounder.
Very sad about it, having spend more than a couple grand and having to face this problem.
22 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 20, 2013
I've been using the Bose L1 Model II for a couple of years now. Mainly for religious sermons when the crowds get too large to fit in the main mosque hall. The over flow tends to reach the into a tent at the back of the main building. I ran a cable from the Yamaha mixer into the Bose tone match and that's enough to power up the whole tent with a single L1 and a single base unit. Sound is crisp and clear with even volumes across the place.

I've also used this system in other mosques when I've delivered sermons to replace the current sound system for the duration of the sermon. People are simply amazed at the clarity and reach of a single unit. Wiring the unit is extremely simple with all the main cables supplied. I've timed myself to be able to install the entire unit in under five minutes.
Build quality is also excellent. Scratch resistant plastic and very good finishing. The tone match really helps to tune the sound to match your application.

The supplied carrying cases are a blessing. Prevents damage during transport and keeps the system spotless. Eventually when the system stays in my car half the time!

Overall a very well designed product. I would definitely recommend this unit. The sound is as good as the professional 802s fitted in the main mosque!
With the L1 I don't have to worry about setting up sound for any place. I can do it in minutes.
Well done Bose!
on June 11, 2011
Hi all,
i have had 2 L1 mkII's with one B1 base unit and 1 T1 tonematch mixer for each L1 since October 2010.
It is a totally different approach to live sound systems.
Before i bought them, i used my previous PA systems with a stage set-up that gave a similar effect as the L1's give.
I used to set up my old PA's with speakers in front of the band facing the audience as is the case with most gig set-ups, and then i'd have 2 speakers behind the band on either side of the stage with the FOH mix in them, so the monitors would be giving the band the sound the audience was experiencing. Most of the time this was great.
I was always amazed and dissapointed when i started playing on stages how the band would often get crappy monitors, with really bad sound, and often terrible mixes, so we musicians would finish the gig in a depressed unsatisfied state.
Even if the monitors were of good quality and the engineer was great, the stage sound would still be a disjointed experience in the main.

So i have had my own systems for the past 10 years, playing Tabla, Drumkit, with many different kinds of world music/holistic music/french dance music.

I first heard the L1's at a store in Bristol UK and i was really blown away.
A MKII was set-up against the MKI and the MKII was definitley a better product, sweeter sound.

I have now done about 30 gigs with them in many different kinds of gigs, and venues.

One was at a live yoga show in London. It has a busy stage with many acts coming on/off stage with little time to set-up. The band i was playing with has 2 mains singers, me on a Roland tdw-20 e-kit, trumpet and keyboard player. Also there is a backing track with Bass, b/vocals, percussion.
Now if you have done this kind of gig before, you will know that with almost zero stage set-up time, forget about a proper sound check, and with Backing tracks,3 mics, drums and keyboard, the chance of getting a good, forget about great stage sound is really small with an engineer who doesn't know you material, and the way you like it mixed, AND who isn't on the stage to hear what you the musician is hearing.
So we decided to use my 2 L1's with my Behringer mixer feeding both of them.
We set up on the side of the stage while the band before us was playing and then we rushed on, set up the 2 L1's in 2 minutes, got everything plugged in, 1 minute line check and off we went. After 2 songs i tweeked the mix and we played for 45 minutes with a sound that someone in the 4th row said it sounded like a CD!.
We walked of the stage with smiles on our face.

I have had many memebers of the audience tell me after gigs with accoustic instruments that it sounded like a CD, like real instruments but just louder!!
Like there isn't a PA!!
Isn't that what so many musicians with high quality accoustic instruments want? Don't let the PA system be the weak link.

The really amazing thing about the L1's is that you can hear EVERY NOTE OF EVERY MUSICIAN THE WHOLE GIG !!! If you have the money Bose want each musician to have a L1 each. I wish.
I have put up to 6 musicians through 2 and had fantastic results.
In one gig there was lead vocal, one side of a chorused 12guitar, cello and Tabla going through the L1 on my side of the stage. All 3 of us heard every note of each of us all gig long!!!!! if you are a musician don't you think you would be in heaven?

Here is another example of the magic of the L1's live.

I play Tabla with 2 Didjeredoo players.
We play live for 90 minutes, 3 x 25 minute sections with transitions in between.
The music is improvised within the above frame work.
In the past on my old systems which were of decent quality, we struggled to get to 90 minutes, sometimes feeling a lack of spontaneity.

When we played for the first time through the L1's, we got to 90 minutes and we were dissapointed we had to stop, so, we played for another 15 minutes!!
The sound was soooo HUGE, so deeep, you hear what you mates are playing, so you weave with each other more, the energy builds.

Here is the last example.

I set my L1's up at my mates home studio. Now this guy has made sound tracks for huge international movies. He knows a lot about sound. We tried the L1's againts his very expensive studio monitors. Of course studio monitors are not ment to flatter music, but still his monitors are top of the range stuff.
We tried many kinds of music, the studio monitors sounded accurate and clear.
The L1's sounded accurate, clear, "HUGE and SYMPHONIC" to quote my mate.

The Bass from the B1's are deep and very accurate. I am now buying 2 more, so now 4 of them will be powered by the 2 L1's. Yummy i can't wait.

The T1 mixers are great, and being digital you can store set-ups. That saves time.

What is also nice about the L1's is that as the sound never feels harsh, its coming through so many speakers, the sound is sweet everywhere.

Another bonus of wide sound dispersion is that i have noticed you don't get the sound bouncng off the rear wall facing you and the side walls so much, if at all.

How many times have you done a gig where the sound comes back to you 1/4 of a second later reflected from the back wall? Its really off putting.
It happens a lot less with the L1.

I could go on a lot more, just DO check them out. Don't listen to anyone who says they are weak/too quiet, they go plenty loud.

ENJOY!!
on October 7, 2013
The gospel group I sing with carries this system everywhere, and it's performed flawlessly. We just returned from a 16 day tour with 25 performances. We're careful with the components and careful about how we wind and pack the cords. Our fastest setup time on this trip was 11 minutes, which included setting up 3 microphones and taping down all the cords. This system replaced several 40-lb. speakers. It does a better job and is much easier to transport.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.