Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 107 reviews
on September 3, 2015
Un Chien Andalou & L'Age D'Or were the first & most successful presentations of surrealism on cinema. Others had tried, eg. Man Ray, but were not, ironically,flexible enough to pull it off.
For those in US: the Blu Ray played on my 5+ year old Sony without difficulty. But the DVD is PAL & will not play on typical US DVD or Blu Ray Players which are NTSC (different scan rates et al). It plays on my computer's DVD player which allowed me to see the very good documentary about Bunuel "A Proposito Bunuel" which features interviews with many of his actors. This was not my first BFI disc set so I figured this wuld happen so I am satisfied.
VINE VOICEon January 27, 2005
Bunuel's first feature "L'Age d'Or" provoked such a fierce reaction among the Right that it was almost immediately banned by the French authorities after its release and not shown for another 50 years (it was finally allowed to play in Paris again in 1980). Suffice it to say, when you see it, you'll understand why: especially the final sequence.

While it is wonderful to have this landmark film finally available on DVD (as well as "Un Chien Andalou" in a separate release), I'm rather saddened by the lack of restorative effort here. The film has the visual and aural quality of the old 16mm prints I saw 15 years ago and there's virtually no extras worth mentioning. By all means get this release if only because it may not come out in any other format here in the US (and some of us can't afford a code-free DVD to buy the BFI version) but it would be nice if the rights holders would lease these films to Criterion to create a: "Bunuel: The Early Years" disc.
on September 18, 2015
I recommend this film to students and afficionados of surreal and inventive films. It is from the early days of cinema when many films were experimental, and was considered shocking in its time.
on June 28, 2012
BFI is giving Criterion a run for their money. These All Region Blu Ray's (I've also bought Jerzy Skolimowski's Deep End from them) are perfect: sound, picture, special features, packaging. Just amazing! This Blu Ray contains L'Age D'Or in Hi Def, as well as Un Chien Andalou, which is playable with two separate soundtracks:

*Bunuel's definitive soundtrack, which he added himself back in 1960, comprised of excerpts from Wagner's Liebestod and Tristan und Isolde and a tango piece.
*And a newly recorded score from Mordant Music, which give the short a very different feel.

I was a bit skeptical about getting old black and whites on Blu Ray, mostly because the prints are so damaged by nature that it seems like a waste of extra pixels. But these prints are as pristine as humanly possible given the source material, you can see the light from the projector glowing through the white letters of the opening titles.
I've seen both of these films projected on the big screen, this Blu Ray version is better. I would say, this is the only way to ever see either of these films.
on July 30, 2015
Unusual and shocking for 1930 but rather pointless in many ways now. Startling scenes are blunted by three-quarters of a century of cinema skill and satire. Perhaps it was shocking then to see the Church treated so irreverently or someone sensuously sucking someone's toes in public, but I thought more of Desenex. Salvatore Dali was involved in this, but you can barely see his touch; I'm surprised considering his effort in Un Chien Andalou only a year earlier.

I enjoy a great deal of early cinema. There are many works silent and sound that merit high praise even in the modern era. But with L'Age D'Or I couldn't get much enjoyment from it no matter how many times I reminded myself how startling it was in its time. I tried to give it a third star for its historic significance but ... no.
on June 27, 2015
Worthwhile from the perspective of film history or great interest in surrealism. Otherwise difficult. On the plus side, it is relatively short.
on May 31, 2014
I gave this amazing blu-ray a five star rating because it also includes the immortal first film that both Dali and Bunuel did in 1928 - Un Chien Andalou! Absolutely brilliant and worth picking up!
on May 9, 2014
I've always enjoyed Bunuel going back to his "Chien Andalu" and I had never seen this. Historically interesting but weird and we had to look up the allusions on Wikipedia to understand it.
on August 21, 2015
Good from a historical standpoint, but less then the cinematographic classic I was hoping for.
on February 20, 2015
This is far from Banuel's finest effort,but any view ,however early and unformed, of the master's work is worthwhile.