Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 299 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 340 reviews
on July 24, 2012
I purchased this TCL brand LE39FHDF3300TA television one week ago and listed below is a brief summary of my observations to date.

- The screen does not have anti-glare treatment so room lights are annoyingly visible while watching TV.
- Off axis viewing is not good. There is obvious color and contrast shift when viewing the screen off center.
- Digital audio output uses S/PDIF coaxial cable connection. This might necessitate purchasing a converter if you require TOSLINK fiber-optic or analog lineout connections.
- Digital audio settings are provided for Dolby, PCM, or off. This should accommodate most home theater or stereo systems.
- Poor sound quality using the internal TV speakers, equalization adjustment has little effect on the sound.
- There are no analog audio outputs other than headphones.
- TV dissipates very little heat, uses LED backlighting.
- When installed into a cabinet the edge of the screen could be obscured by the cabinet depending on cabinet size. The screen sits back 3 inches from the front edge of the TV stand.
- Easy to setup and use, light weight.
- Low price when compared to other brands.
- Two year warranty is longer than most assuming service is available when needed.

TCL LE39FHDF3300TA 39-Inches 1080p LED HDTV with 2-Year Limited Warranty - Black
77 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
Since others have really tore into it, I'm not going to go into a lot of depth on this TV.
The good points:
It is inexpensive for a 43" LED TV
Picture quality is good with HDMI cables
Small profile, though bigger than the slim TVs.
Not bad looking.
Pretty light weight.
Simple controls and remote.
Easily recognized by universal remote.

The not so good:
Not very many hook ups for AV equipment
Base does not swivel.
Speakers are pretty bad.

The sound is barely tolerable, but you can tweak it somewhat through the TVs equalizer to make it a bit less tinny. Since a lot of people use external speakers, it may not be that much of an issue. For normal TV watching I managed to adjust the sound to the point where I can tolerate it without making me cringe (the wife thinks its fine.) I have a surround setup for movies and I *could* use that for the TV too, but it would be one more remote to use.
The lack of inputs may not affect the many people either, but I have an older DVD player that doesn't hook to HDMI and this doesn't have S-video, plus I have older consoles systems that I hook up to it (SNES, Genesis, PS2 and they work fine with it).
I hate it when new equipment makes me modernize my perfectly good old stuff!
I give it 4 stars for the sound being pretty bad and lack of inputs, but after living with it for a couple months it seems to be a good purchase. I hope it lasts!
Also, one problem that I have with LCD, plasma, LED TVs is the lack of screen protection. Some of the old glass CRTs had a protective piece of glass in front of the screen and they were far more resilient to impact than these new ones, and none of the modern TVs come standard with them. My other TV was permanently damaged by a pretty low impact to the screen (a marble thrown in the air and not at the screen). Not enough to break the glass behind, but enough to cause a vast amount of pixels to become stuck. So, I purchased a piece of clear plexi-glass, cut it to size and mounted it to the frame with velcro to protect against any accidental impacts. I highly recommend something similar to those who have kids.
EDIT: Still working well as of July 2015. Sound is liveable for basic tv. Seems to have been a good purchase for price and I'd recommend it to anyone esp if you can get it under $300.00.
on November 9, 2012
On a budget but you want a new/secondary HDTV? This is it!

BELIEVE the reviews that say this tv has "Beautiful" and AMAZING 1080p/visuals, because IT DOES!

I have always bought name brands(Samsung/LG/Sony), but apparently this tv uses samsung screens or something of the sort. But what convinced me to buy this were the good reviews and a few pictures presenting the quality of visuals. Quality is GREAT.

Looks just as good as my 32inch Samsung(if not better) and my buddy's 43inch LG.

PROS:
+Wonderful 1080p visual, like any big name brand.
++Energy efficient($11/yr on some energy scale thing)
+++Its 39 inches(diagonally) of awesomeness!
++++Can plug in audio jack for speaker systems/headphones
+++++HDMI, 2 ports as well as 1 USB port

Cons:
-Only 2 HDMI ports, if you need more than two
--Sound quality isn't all that great, I use a 2.1 speaker system w/bass(CYBER ACOUSTICS) to improve sound greatly, and it is great!
---USB option not playing movies, not even reading my external harddrive
----Remote(stock) may be slow to respond
-----Limited visual/sound options

PICTURES, will be posted later today, I am on my phone and can't post pics/videos.

Also, I use this for my XBOX 360 and HD Cable. I followed another reviews tip on bringing down the sharpness to about 25-35 for better picture quality.
review image review image
on November 7, 2012
I bought a used 43-incher, sold by Tradeport. It was only $275 plus about $40 shipping (no tax), which is a good amount below the new price. It was not in perfect shape, but it works fine and looks great. The only problem with it was one of the tabs of the top of the plastic frame was popped out, and the screen was warped slightly outward there. This caused a bright line (from the backlight bleeding through) to show up at that area along the top edge of the screen. All I did to fix it was remove a few screws from the plastic frame and pop the clip back into place. Now everything is perfect except for a little piece of dust that got down into the screen. I can only see it when I am less than a foot away, so no problem there. Otherwise, the thing is in new condition, with the plastic wrap still covering the glass base. Shipped faster than expected and came well-packaged in original box.

As far as features go, this TV is pretty basic, but that's exactly what I was looking for. It looks really good for $300. The settings/remote are easy to navigate, and it plays well with external speakers and PC hookups. If you're messing with the picture, don't get "brightness" and "backlight" mixed up. If you turn the brightness down to about 40 and the backlight to 100, you get good blacks and nice bright colors. I had never heard of TCL before researching this one, and I don't know much about their customer service, but this TV is of solid quality, and I have no problem recommending it. I give it 5 stars despite the frame tab issue because I expected as much buying it used.

--UPDATE--
Concerning the customer service, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a question about hooking up my computer to the TV using an HDMI cable (wasn't displaying full screen). I submitted the question via their website, and I wasn't sure it would work, so I also called them. I got through on the phone quickly, they took my question, and said they would call me back within a day or so. The next day, I got a response to my email, as well as a call back about my question. They were extremely patient and helpful. I had given them my graphics card model and they figured out it was a problem with that, not with the TV. I adjusted my overscan on my computer as they suggested, and voila, a perfect image! They were basically helping me troubleshoot my graphics card, which has nothing to do with TCL. Impressive service.

I have heard bad things about people who need physical service done (warranty work) and long delays in replacement parts and such. However, I suspect this has more to do with the authorized technicians then TCL itself, as well as the fact that this company is not quite as well-established as other brands like Samsung or LG. They seemed eager to help though, and I definitely will consider TCL for future purchases.

--UPDATE--
15 months later, still going strong with no issues. Glad I bought it!
on July 25, 2013
My husband bought this to go in our bedroom for Mother's Day. I'm not sure if this would impress any hardcore technophiles, but as a secondary TV, we don't have any complaints. We were able to hook up cable & the TiVo without problems. The sleep timer works well, captioning is easy to turn on/off, and there's a handy setting to adjust picture between watching in a room with or without lights on. The only thing I can think of that might bother some people is the lag time between turning it on/off--I'm not sure what causes it, but it takes a full 10-15 seconds before responding--and the audio output isn't as strong as it is on our other TVs; I keep the volume set at 60-75% when our other TVs are normally at about 25%.
on December 29, 2012
I was a little wary of buying this TV in the first place because of some of the negative reviews regarding its picture and sound quality. However, I put in the order and crossed my fingers and I actually ended up with one that seems (so far) to be perfectly fine in terms of display and speakers.

I saw some reviews that said they disliked the speakers on the TV, but honestly I can turn it sound to a level where I feel like it gets too loud. It's not sheer loudness either because I've listened to some of the in game music on my headphones on another display and these TV speakers seem to play it at a respectable quality (obviously not as good as headphones).

The picture quality is quite nice as well in comparison to the past display and TV I've used to play the same Xbox games. I don't see any pixelation or any other kinds of blurriness/marks of a bad display and all-in-all, I seriously have no qualms.

I had a little trouble assembling the base at first because I was trying to use a hand screwdriver for some reason but once I realized what I was doing and switched to the electric screwdriver, I had no problems.

Maybe theres an issue with quality control and not all TVs they ship out are the same, but the one I received was spot on an awesome value.
on April 5, 2013
The picture quality is really good. It's comparable to Vizio and Samsung monitors after proper ISF Calibrations. The picture isn't as good as a OLED but for the price, you won't be disappointed at all. I mainly use this TV for video games and extending my monitor. It's does the job well for both. If you need a lot of features/function from your TV such as Audio-out for your Coaxial and Optical ports, 4x HDMI ports, 4x Component ports, and built-in functions like picture-in-picture or program guides: do not buy this TV. This TV comes with the bare essentials and you should treat it as much when deciding. Thankfully there's a built-in digital antenna so picking up digital channels is possible.

The speaker quality is below average. You can tolerate it but it sounds like the speakers are coming out of a pipe rather than naturally coming from the TV itself. The TV comes with headphone jack-in: What I did was disable the TV speakers and connected my Logitech Z5500 to the TV. TV speakers should only be a deciding factor for you if you intended to use them primarily. If you have a nice audio-receiver: disregard this part.

Overall: This TV is marketed for those that simply want the great picture without the unnecessary add-ons and plugs that one may never use. I use it for gaming and PC desktop work and that's all. It serves my purposes and even gives a bit bang for buck cause of the great picture. The picture is very comparable to my Samsung Plasma. Not spot on, but the rumors of TCL using Samsung-like screens doesn't seem as far fetched.

If you live in California: TCL contracts a repair center in San Francisco should you need to service the TV. Mines has been running strong for the past 5 months.
on April 28, 2013
I was pretty stunned to see the quality picture this television had to offer. I had some minor troubles, but they were easily fixed.

First off, I had a hell of a time getting the stand on it till I realized the screws were self grooving screws and I needed to screw them directly into the plastic slots without the glass stand first. Also, I had my Playstation 3 plugged into HDMI 1 and not even 20 minutes, the picture when using the PS3 would go to grey static with no sound. I realized I saw it say "HDMI/DVI" next to the slot and tried my DVI to HDMI cable I bought ages ago for my computer and moved my PS3 to HDMI 2 and voila, no problems ever since!

So here are a couple things to consider when purchasing:
1) Screw the screws into the slots without the stand first to create the grooves, then unscrew them and apply the glass stand.
2) If you have problems with a device via HDMI going to a quiet grey static screen, switch to the other HDMI port and use the top one for a computer or other device that wont fuzz out.

Other than my couple of problems, I've really been enjoying my new 39" TV. I'm using it to write this review right now!!
on May 8, 2013
Like many, I was skeptical of this low priced off brand TV. I'm not a videophile, I just didn't have a TV and figured it was time to get one so I gave this a try. I have been using it for 6 months now and have been pleasantly surprised.

First, the negative. I shouldn't have looked but since so many other reviews mentioned dead pixels my eyes couldn't help but go searching and sure enough, there it was. A little dark speck that never seemed to go away, however it is only noticeable when you're right in front of the TV. Move back about 5ft and even knowing exactly where it is I can't spot it. Because of this, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of returning the TV. If you don't think about it I even forgot it was there for a few weeks. As others have also mentioned the sound isn't great but it's certainly acceptable and on par with other thin TV's like this. The USB input doesn't recognize any video files I've tried so I think its kind of pointless but it's there.

I do feel the positives outweigh the negatives with this TV. Despite the dead pixel, the picture is quite good. Watching an HD movie from back on the couch is quite impressive and as I mentioned before, the dead pixel isn't noticeable. It can be viewed from all angles and is even decently visible in direct sunlight. I also use the HDMI to hook up to my laptop and the two link up flawlessly. There's no lag with mouse movement or keystrokes at all. The smart volume feature is basically just an audio compressor and for the most part works well to even out loud commercials. The audio quality does suffer if listening through a good system and you can sometimes hear sounds that go above the compression threshold and get quickly brought back down, which can be annoying, but the feature can be turned off and it generally works ok. It would be nice if it had RCA audio out jacks but adapters can be had to utilize the 1/8" jack. The 1/8" jack is in a tight place that larger adapters won't fit in, so a skinny extension might be needed.

I gave this 4 stars because of the pixel but considering the price that this thing goes for, I think it is still a good value for the occasional TV watcher or someone who wants a bigger computer screen.
on March 26, 2013
**HEADS UP**
The top flap of the cardboard box is held shut with enormous copper staples. It looks like it would be really easy to scratch the screen on these staples as you unbox the TV, so be sure to discard the staples before lifting the TV out of the box!

---

Paid $329, which seems reasonable for this TV. Sure it's not top of the line but it blows my old 26" 720p TV (bought for $500 in 2007) right out of the water.

Most importantly the Samsung-sourced screen looks fantastic, contrast ratio is excellent, factory settings use rather high Backlight power which you might want to turn down for better blacks. As other reviews have mentioned, adjust the Sharpness setting to taste. Remarkably slim bezel around the screen.

Switching between inputs is nice and snappy.

There is an 'Auto Volume Control' setting that appears to be a compressor; handy if you're watching videos that are way too loud during the loud bits and way too quiet during the quiet bits.

The orange 'power off' LED does not distract me, it's dim, in daylight you could mistake it for a daub of orange paint.

Audio quality from the 3.5" jack is fine; I am running it through Logitech LS21 speakers ( [...] ) which are great for the price.

Some notes on the base plate:
To attach the base plate you must lay the TV face down on a flat surface overhanging the edge and then attach the base plate with screws. As other reviewers have pointed out these are not high quality screws. You must use some force to screw them in; I could feel the threads biting into plastic, instead of threading into a nut. They look like wood screws, not machine screws. This seems like poor design; I worry that after a few assembly/disassembly cycles, the plastic will strip and the screws will stop holding the base on securely.

However that's a minor quibble for me. The base is securely attached (for now); the TV is stable on the base; and I don't intend to transport it anytime soon.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.