LEGO Duplo Green Building Plate (15" X 15") (Discontinued by manufacturer)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Large format allows child to build and expand on the world he or she has created
- Provides a building surface for any DUPLO set
- Made of sturdy, impact-resistant plastic
- Measures 15" L x 15" H
- Recommended for 4 to 8 years
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1. After I ordered it off Amazon I realized you can get it for LESS on Lego's website or at a Lego store, if you have one... and no shipping that way, either. I feel like a dolt. I don't know why I didn't think to look - I tried Toys R Us, Target, and WalMart for Duplos, and found nothing good. So I ordered some stuff on line and just ASSUMED Amazon's prices were good, becuase they usually are.
2. Consider a LEGO baseplate instead of LEGO DUPLO. You can use Duplo blocks on a Lego base but not Lego blocks on a Duplo base. Legos and Duplos can go together but their coupling is dependant upon the Duplos' pegs being hollow. The pegs on the Duplo base are solid so you can't use Legos on it. One problem, though, Duplos don't cling QUITE as tightly to the Lego base... but they do work.)
You should maybe also know that this is kind of a bendy peice of plastic, not hard and solid and thick like the smaller Duplo bases that come with some sets (the ones that are 5X5 or so It works fine, but I was surprised to learn this, I was expecting it to be more solid.
Great item, great fun, but don't buy it here!!!
updating my original review to say several years and 3 more kids and my kids really seem to ignore this thing... and it's also taken a permanent bend to it so it doesn't lay flat. The smaller sturdier base plates get way more use - you can get a 3 pack of yellow, red, green. I think if this were solid it MIGHT get more play but it's really bendy and the bricks just pop off too easily.
Now, here's the kicker. She had had a set of Maxi Mega Blocks for ages, but hadn't used them much (because of the tower-building problem). It turns out that Maxi Mega Blocks will also fit on this baseplate! You can't build Duplos on top of them, but that's not a big problem here. The Duplo baseplate rejuvenated the Maxi Mega Blocks as a cool toy for a toddler who likes to build.
If you're thinking about buying something for a kid who is too young for Duplos, try Maxi Mega Blocks and a Duplo baseplate (the Primo sets are nowhere near as good as MMB for actual building).
The only bummer is that the baseplate we have is rather thin and flexible, and I'm worried about her stepping on it and breaking it (hence the 3 stars for durability). It hasn't broken yet, but I've taken a fair bit of care to make sure of that. But don't let this deter you!
One of the things I like about Lego products is that you can buy more of the same thing and it makes for a whole new lot of fun. This base plate makes it easy to build buildings and tall structures. IT gives the structures a great base that is very sturdy.
Unless you want to buy a special table, these base plates are very good. I bought a few and we can build up and out more than ever.
I look for toys that are sturdy and fun and easy to use. I look for toys that have more than a button to push. IF they are somewhat educational or help the child explore the world then that is so much the better. Legos fit into this list perfectly. The base plates only help to increase the fun of playing with the legos/duplos.
Update after 2 weeks of use:
This product is not made in china but in Denmark, Austria, Czech Republic and Hungaria according to the packaging, which again is impressive for a piece of plastic. To be fair to the product, yes, as soon as my son got it, the magic operated and he stopped building boring towers to explore the three dimensions and it's fascinating to watch. Parents should not let their child miss this major part in the lego experience, but Lego Corp. should not make us pay with the movie theater popcorn kind of pricing....
Most Recent Customer Reviews
My 2.5 year old uses this every day. It's the grass, she calls it. She can really build a town on it and it gives her great satisfaction to be able to do bigger things and have... Read morePublished 3 months ago by K. S. Murphy
Absolutely great for kids models, they can take their Lego model anywhere with this Lego base plus it's a good base to start Legos modelPublished 5 months ago by masouma