- Age Range: 10 and up
- Grade Level: 5 and up
- Paperback: 396 pages
- Publisher: No Starch Press; 1 edition (June 14, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1593275323
- ISBN-13: 978-1593275327
- Product Dimensions: 8.1 x 0.8 x 10 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 142 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #5,895 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Discovery Book: A Beginner's Guide to Building and Programming Robots 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Publisher
Why this book?
The LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 robotics set offers unlimited possibilities to build and program robots, but exploring beyond the instructions included in the set can be a bit overwhelming when you’re just getting started. The LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Discovery Book is designed to help you discover the power of LEGO MINDSTORMS as you learn to invent, build, and program your very own robots.
How does this book work?
This book assumes no previous experience with either building or programming LEGO MINDSTORMS, and each chapter presents a mix of robot building, programming theory, and challenges to help you really understand the concepts. You’ll learn basic programming techniques at the same time that you make your first robot move, and you’ll learn about more advanced programming as you build increasingly sophisticated robots. The challenges, called Discoveries, encourage you to expand the example programs, modify the mechanical design, or even invent completely new robots!
A Guided Tour
The LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Discovery Book is divided into six parts:
- Part I: Getting Started takes you through the contents of the EV3 robotics set and shows you how to build your first robot. You’ll meet the EV3 software and basic programming blocks that you’ll use to make your robot move. You'll also learn essential programming techniques, such as making your robot repeat actions and do more than one thing at the same time.
- Part II: Programming Robots with Sensors teaches you all about sensors, which are essential components of MINDSTORMS robots. You’ll add the Touch Sensor to the robot you built earlier, and you’ll explore the functions of the Color Sensor, the Infrared Sensor and the infrared beacon, and the Rotation Sensors inside each of the motors.
- Part III: Robot Building Techniques covers the LEGO Technic building elements that come with your EV3 set. You’ll learn to use beams, axles, connector blocks, and gears effectively in your own robots.
- Part IV: Vehicle and Animal Robots puts your skills with motors and sensors to the test as you build two new robots—the Formula EV3 Race Car and ANTY, a robotic ant.
- Part V: Creating Advanced Programs is devoted to advanced programming concepts. You’ll learn about data wires, how to process sensor values and do math on the EV3, and how to make the robot remember things with variables. Finally, you'll combine all of these programming techniques to create a robot that lets you play games on the EV3 screen.
- Part VI: Machine and Humanoid Robots combines everything you’ve learned to guide you through creating two complex robots. You’ll build and program the SNATCH3R, an autonomous robotic arm that can find, grab, lift, and move the infrared beacon autonomously, and the LAVA R3X, the walking, talking humanoid shown on the front cover.
From School Library Journal
Gr 6 Up—A tome for fans of robotics and LEGO Mindstorms EV3 Kits. Hyper-detailed instructions—with full color, easy-to-read and understand illustrations—help budding enthusiasts navigate EV3 Kits with clear language and step-by-step directions. Readers learn the basics of assembling a simple robot before being introduced to various programming tricks to be used on the EV3 Brick, the colloquial term for the Mindstorms mini-computer. Be forewarned that in order to take full advantage of the programming functionality of the kit, including the ablity to create and edit programs, users must have a computer to connected to their EV3 Brick (though basic programming on the EV3 Brick can be done without one). Each chapter contains several short challenges, dubbed "discoveries," which are cleverly accompanied by a legend: whimsical gear wheels represent the estimated amount of building time; tiny Microsoft Windows-esque blocks show the expected level of programming expertise; and a small clock estimates the length of time it should take to solve the challenge. Later chapters describe building intricate robots with fun objectives: a racing robot, ANTY (a robotic ant), and the SNATCH3R (complete with a robotic arm that grabs). Readers who are intimidated by the discoveries can skip these and instead focus on the building projects and the programming tricks that do not involve the use of a computer. The size, advanced vocabulary, and organization of the book evokes a science or physics textbook, which is warranted due to the amount of complex and detailed programming information contained within. However, colorful images keep it from feeling too academic. VERDICT This book will find a home in libraries with makerspaces and/or those that offer robotics or science clubs, LEGO teams, or other STEM-oriented groups.—Amy M. Laughlin, Darien Library, CT
"Hyper-detailed instructions—with full color, easy-to-read and understand illustrations—help budding enthusiasts navigate EV3 Kits with clear language and step-by-step directions."
—School Library Journal
"Directions are mostly in the form of vivid and distinct images and diagrams...will definitely appeal to readers who like to learn by handling and tinkering with parts."
"Whether you’re new to the EV3, a FLL coach, on a FLL team, or maybe your robot has been sitting for a while and you’re looking to breath new life into it, The LEGO Mindstorms EV3 Discovery Book is for you!"
Discover books for all types of engineers, auto enthusiasts, and much more. Learn more
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Then this book arrived. We are up and running, and my son is engrossed and so am I. The author gives terrific detail, and has small projects scattered through each chapter to help develop understanding of each of the features. We work through a few pages each evening, and do one or two projects (e.g., program the EV3 to do a figure 8). These projects are perfect.
As to the educational version vs the home version..... I splurged and got the expansion set. It turns out that this just has a lot of Technics-type structural pieces. It does not have new motors or sensors. The educational packs has all of the motors and sensors of the home version with two exceptions: the remote control sensor and related beacon. I got those thru the lego site. There may be a few add'l pieces that we'll need in the future to build all of the projects in this book, but we are 1/4 the way thru and haven't found them.
I'd also refer you to the book's website, which has a lot of useful information. The author has also kindly responded to specific questions (relating to education vs home versions), and has been quite helpful. So...can't recommend this more enough. I recommend it to all home users as well as school clubs.
It did help the tag along Mom understand this robot but it is very detailed and some of it needs more attention then I could give it at that time.
It would be the perfect handbook for any gifted and talented parent and student as well as teacher. It is worth the read. It is worth the purchase.
The author is amazing and replied to a question, highly recommended.
Great book for learning how to use your EV3 and for learning how to program.
Highly recommended for all EV3 users.
I'm considering buying another EV3 book.