Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 2, 2016
Eh. their legos. What kid doesn't like legos. If they don't like legos take them to get help. Seriously, I played with legos as a kid. I bough these for my niece. The only problem with legos is the price. Maybe it's the cost of oil which is the major component in plastic. What ever. The price is through the roof and in outer space for the most simple plastic snap together toy. I would definitely recommend this product.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
We got these for my daughter (she's six) after she completed several City kits and LOVE the advent calendars. I was hoping to expand her horizons with Legos and motivate her to literally create things "outside the box".

This is a great box of many different pieces, enough to build TONS of stuff. WE also purchased the The Lego Ideas Book. but my daughter seemed to prefer the little booklet that came inside the Ultimate Building Set and go from there.

Great product, perfect for those who have a few kits and are looking to make their Lego collection really rounded out. Opens the door up to tons of possibility, Lego-wise.
on February 4, 2016
I bought this LEGO Ultimate Building Set with 405 Pieces in it for my son for Christmas. He is a Lego lover extraordinaire and little Mr. Creative. This set is just the right size for any possibility you could think of. It allows for great imagination as it is lots of basic pieces. He loved the fact that it has its own plastic box with a lid to store his Legos in. There is also room for lots of extra parts and pieces. This also included a base plate, windows, doors, and wheels. A great value for either a beginner builder or for the one who has everything as you can never ever have too many Legos.

This item was well packaged and arrived with in the estimate given by Amazon.

LEGO Ultimate Building Set - 405 Pieces (6166)
on August 22, 2017
The grand kid has had a lot of fun with this & it comes with pictures & instructions for specific builds. She never did do any of them but has had fun creating her own stuff. Good buy.
on July 18, 2017
I was surprised that so many things can be built with these legos. I didn't expect it to be so versatile. I loved legos as a kid, and this is the first set I've bought for my children, ages 7, 4, and 1. I like that the container is BIG and sturdy, so clean up is easy and we'll be able to add to the collection.
on April 15, 2013
You will undoubtedly run out of the pieces you've designated most critical to whatever you're building.

Our 3 year old son is still a bit young but he's gotten pretty good at not putting pieces in his mouth, and keeping them on the table where his younger sister can't get to them.

He always pulls out the small book that comes with this set and asks me to build something. Aside from some pieces not going together well or never coming apart (short flat sections, it's like they'll only come apart for teeth or a small flat-head screwdriver) he has all the standard difficulties that a small child might have with Legos. That is, it's the first time he's been tasked with something that can be a lot more complex than the Duplo style blocks he's gotten used to. The variety of parts allows plenty of possibilities but it can also bewilder a young child.

Hang in there. You don't have to build everything the same shape and color in the book. It took a while to teach him that things don't have to look just like the book and that using your imagination is important. But therein lies the problem. This is a good sized set, but once we start building a given project we invariably run out of some type of piece that's necessary for construction to continue.

So now you can imagine a new, jury-rigged solution or run out and by more. Such is Lego life.
on September 7, 2013
I bought this set for my Caique parrot. He took to the Lego blocks immediately, but he was initially suspicious of the rolling car. Legos have turned out to be lots of fun as a *supervised* play activity. I build things up, and he tears them down. You can see a picture of this on the product page.

In retrospect, Duplos might have been a better choice because they're tougher, but we're still getting lots of fun out of the larger blocks in the Lego set. Here's what I learned that might be helpful to parents of children AND fids. :-)

The small, accessory pieces aren't appropriate for a small child or bird. The tires for the car use some of these pieces for assembly, so that's something to keep in mind.

The larger blocks are very sturdy and hold up to wear and tear, including being thrown repeatedly onto a tile floor from a drop of about 4 feet.

For parrot owners reading this, you probably are looking for an interesting toy to keep your fid from getting bored. Legos are a great choice for a Conure sized bird, providing they're supervised and don't have access to the smaller parts in the set.
on December 17, 2013
I bought this set for my 4 year old son and it has been a great starter set. I still have buckets full of LEGOs at my parents' house, so I know the joy of growing up with LEGOs and I wanted to start the same with my son. The set actually came with 407 pieces as we were given just 2 random extra duplicates. The set comes with about 6 different colors of bricks with similar pieces given for each color. There are enough pieces to really get some imagination going for a few builders. The pieces included are definitely manageable for a 4 year old as nothing too complicated is included as a piece. My only complaint is that the green land/base piece is rather small. Overall a great buy if you are looking for a start set.
on May 25, 2014
I bought this set for my 4 year old grandson. He has been playing with legos duplo for the past 3 years and loves the legos building blocks. This legos set has the smaller pieces and has a much more variety to choose from. My grandson loves looking at the assembly book and then proceeds to putting the parts together on his own. I only help him along as needed because I want him to build his own problem solving abilties. He is becoming quite good at it BTW. Sometimes he builds cars, planes and animals from the free parts I have, as I have a lot of other legos free parts for him to build whatever he wants to build. We baby sit him twice a week and he will want to plaly "legos" at least one of the days if not both. I would and have recommend legos to my friends and family.
on June 16, 2014
The box says 405 pieces, but what you're really getting is about 100 pieces which you can actually use. My daughter can make a 1-room, 1 story house with the large bricks and no roof with a small car - basically what's on the picture only. If you try to do the pictures in the book that comes with it, and maybe you have bad luck like me, there will be extra pieces needed that you don't have in the set. Honestly for any play-time my family needed 4 of these and a large bucket, as the bucket itself is quite small (probably a 1.25 feet long by 7 inches wide, and 6 inches deep if i was to guess). The lid likes to stay on, which is an issue for my daughter's small hands trying to get it off - that was until she learned she could twist the bucket and the lid flew off.