Top positive review
723 people found this helpful
Really nice entry level 4k monitor
on November 1, 2016
Really nice entry level 4k monitor. I was a bit hesitant to buy this one because of the lack of reviews around the web. Decided the price was worth it and might as well give it a try. Turned out to be a great purchase, not perfect but still really great. I've been using it for doing art and animation, and of course 4k gaming. It's color isn't as nice as a 90%+ Adobe RGB, but LG's S-IPS panels still have great color, a step above most monitors, especially around this price point. Gaming is a dream on this thing, so sharp and crisp, truly glorious. Here are some Pro's and Con's:
-10 bit color (8+A-FRC)
-S-IPS panel (great viewing angles)
- 99%+ sRGB (measured as NTSC 72%) gamut.
- Freesync (only works with AMD cards as of now)
- 5ms on an IPS panel
- Black stabilizer setting, can bring out the details in certain dark images.
- HDCP 2.2
- Only 3 inputs, 2 hdmi and 1 display-port (would have liked 1 more display-port)
- Has an anti-glare coating (it's not very aggressive like some I've seen, but still can cause slight distortion when viewed from above/below at extreme angles)
- At250 cd/m2 it's not on the high end of peak brightness, but not bad either.
Update 1: I thought it might be handy to add a little section on setting up the PS4 Pro with this monitor. I took me awhile to realize how to get it working to display at 4k. You need to have a newer hdmi cable (2.0, the monitor comes with a short one) and you need to enable the setting for HMDI UHD deep color, this enables RGB 4:4:4 chroma signals to pass over HMDI so it can talk to the PS4 Pro. This setting is under Menu>Picture>Picture Adjust>HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color. This setting is common among LG 4k devices, so if you have an issue on another LG product w/ ps4 Pro, make sure it's enabled. You may also need to change RGB settings on the PS4 Pro to "Full".
Update 2: I wanted to update with the settings I found best for my panel, in terms of color and brightness, etc. May not be universal, but could give a ballpark of what you may want.
Black Stabilizer: 35