Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year So Far Men's Summer Sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New LG V35 ThinQ | $699.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outcastS4 outcastS4 outcastS4  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 1, 2016
Really nice entry level 4k monitor. I was a bit hesitant to buy this one because of the lack of reviews around the web. Decided the price was worth it and might as well give it a try. Turned out to be a great purchase, not perfect but still really great. I've been using it for doing art and animation, and of course 4k gaming. It's color isn't as nice as a 90%+ Adobe RGB, but LG's S-IPS panels still have great color, a step above most monitors, especially around this price point. Gaming is a dream on this thing, so sharp and crisp, truly glorious. Here are some Pro's and Con's:

Pros:
-4k... duh
-10 bit color (8+A-FRC)
-S-IPS panel (great viewing angles)
- 99%+ sRGB (measured as NTSC 72%) gamut.
- Freesync (only works with AMD cards as of now)
- 5ms on an IPS panel
- 60hz
- Black stabilizer setting, can bring out the details in certain dark images.
- HDCP 2.2

Cons:
- Only 3 inputs, 2 hdmi and 1 display-port (would have liked 1 more display-port)
- Has an anti-glare coating (it's not very aggressive like some I've seen, but still can cause slight distortion when viewed from above/below at extreme angles)
- At250 cd/m2 it's not on the high end of peak brightness, but not bad either.

Update 1: I thought it might be handy to add a little section on setting up the PS4 Pro with this monitor. I took me awhile to realize how to get it working to display at 4k. You need to have a newer hdmi cable (2.0, the monitor comes with a short one) and you need to enable the setting for HMDI UHD deep color, this enables RGB 4:4:4 chroma signals to pass over HMDI so it can talk to the PS4 Pro. This setting is under Menu>Picture>Picture Adjust>HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color. This setting is common among LG 4k devices, so if you have an issue on another LG product w/ ps4 Pro, make sure it's enabled. You may also need to change RGB settings on the PS4 Pro to "Full".

Update 2: I wanted to update with the settings I found best for my panel, in terms of color and brightness, etc. May not be universal, but could give a ballpark of what you may want.

Brightness: 69

923 people found this helpful
|5050 comments|Report abuse
on November 8, 2017
Note for Xbox one X users:
You cannot use freesync since it is display port only. You have to change the settings on the monitor under picture adjust>>turn on HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color before the xbox one x will allow 4k.

Once enabled go into settings>>display and sound>>advanced video settings>> then check the following in pictures. Once that is done you can change the resolution from 1080p to 4k uhd.
review imagereview imagereview image
272 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on December 14, 2016
Was really excited for this monitor but unfortunately it has significant backlight bleed (see attached pictures), and a very noticeable dead black pixel (s). First picture is monitor at 100% brightness. The second picture is set at 50% brightness.

Other then that this is a great 4k IPS budget monitor.

I'm going to try and get a replacement. Hopefully that one has less bleed. Unfortunately when I do replace it amazon will then try to sell this same monitor as like new and then someone else will have to deal with these issues.
review imagereview image
309 people found this helpful
|1010 comments|Report abuse
on June 16, 2017
This is a great monitor for the price. I usually try to be a value shopper, and I'm proud of this purchase. This monitor was about $100 less expensive than I paid for a normal HD monitor about 5 years ago! I'm replacing an HD Asus monitor, and wow! Finally, finally, I have a monitor that actually looks good beside my 15 inch Macbook Pro Retina Display. One thing I love about the Retina display is that text and photos look like high resolution print: incredibly smooth with no noticeable pixelation at a standard viewing distance of > 1 foot. This LG monitor also does this! But one thing to watch out for: You need to turn OFF "SUPER RESOLUTION+" (Menu > Picture > Picture Adjust). Otherwise, there will be noticeable pixelation rather than the smooth lines you expect from a retina-like monitor. I think this setting was added as a quick-and-foolish way to increase sharpness and contrast in one preset, but it really fails in that it is completely unnecessary (since you also have a separate sharpness and contrast settings) and it does more harm than good.

Speaking of settings, here's what looks best for me: Brightness: 100, Contrast: 70, Sharpness: 50, Black Level: Low, Deep Color: Off, DFC: On, Response Time: High, Black Stabilizer: 50, Gamma: Gamma1, Color Temp: Warm or Custom, Red: 50, Blue: 50, Green: 50. I also made the Gamma slightly darker using my Mac's display profile. My only gripe is that the peak brightness is slightly less than for my MBP retina display, but it works out since I usually have my retina display at -1 or -2 peak brightness, which matches the LG monitor. The default contrast of 70 seems optimal, as midtones appear to exponentially disappear above 70, while linearly decreasing up to 70. The default sharpness of 50 also appears to be native, and there really is no reason to change this setting higher than 60. Sharper and aliasing becomes noticeable, and lower and it actually looks like the monitor is adding blur. A low black level looks best, and higher ones just look washed out. Deep color didn't work for me, so I had to keep it off. I turned on DFC (digital fine contrast), but I didn't really notice any difference with it on. I also didn't see a difference with a high response time, but I have it that way just in case.

In short: If you're looking to upgrade your existing monitor with a super high-resolution, value monitor, then get this one. Great for Macs! Just turn off Super Resolution, and keep the rest of the settings at default.
82 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on December 10, 2017
Not all 4K monitors are created equal, and it's hard to know exactly how true that statement is until you are looking at different models plugged into your machine for comparison. This one is really great, crisp as heck, and runs at 60 Hz on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2015). To get 60 Hz and 4K on this monitor using a MacBook Pro, you have to plug into your display port. Below are two suggested cords that I have found work great.

To get 60 Hz on the 2017 MacBooks, get this cord: USB C TO DP Cable,Belinda USB-C Type c to DisplayPort Cable 6FT With Aluminium Case Support 4K resolution for Apple New Macbook Pro 2017, Samsung Galaxy S8

And for plugging into the Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) on 2015 MBP's, get this cord: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PWQN1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
14 people found this helpful
on January 3, 2017
Love it. I've got it hooked up to both an old home-built Windows 7 PC and a brand new 2016 MacBook Pro, using the included HDMI and DVI cables, and I switch back and forth between inputs often. Works great on each. Very comparable to using my previous 27" Apple Thunderbolt display, but at much lower cost. Being accustomed to the Thunderbolt and seeing volume controls on the LG I was a little confused at first as to why I couldn't hear any audio. This model doesn't have any built-in speakers. The monitor volume control simply adjusts the audio / headphone jack you can connect your own speakers to. A rather worthless feature, as I can adjust volume on my speakers or through my OS, but whatever. It's still got a great image for a great price.
32 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 16, 2018
Okay. I did my research and knew my limitations. I was determined to stick with a $300 range price tag and live within my means (and stay married, need to stay married). I just moved into a smaller office space and wanted a 4K monitor to pair with my early 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar.I am a creative professional (writer and video producer). I have LG products at home (newer OLED television, 4K BR player) and have been satisfied with their price and performance. This monitor blew me away. I mean, I plugged it in (USB-C to Display Port cable purchased right here on Amazon) and the image is WOW - right out of the box! Bright and sharp colors. Beautiful, smooth-rendered text. Eye-popping still images and video (which I work a lot with). Minimal and I mean minimal set-up time to happy time. No endless and annoying fiddling. A very nice touch you will like is a centrally located adjustment button that puts all direct settings right at your fingertips. No endless drilling through buried menus. Fast refresh and crisp performance edge to edge. 4K is now on my desktop for less than Apple-like prices (Apple doesn't even make an external monitor anymore anyway). This admitted and unashamed Apple Fan Boy is EXTREMELY PLEASED and thinks you will be, too. You can spend more - of course! But, I wouldn't!
9 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2017
I purchased this monitor for around $260 out of the door right before Thanksgiving. For a 2160p monitor, it is totally worth the price. However, since I don't have an AMD GPU, FreeSync is completely pointless for me. Additionally, the response rate on this monitor is pretty bad for high intensity
or FPS gameplay. But when you have an IPS monitor, that should be expected.

Where this monitor shines (literally) is in the color and picture quality department. 4K images, games, and movies look phenomenal on this high PPI (pixels per inch) display. You can color correct this monitor down to six parameters (colors). Setting up with my PS4 Pro was a little confusing at first. You must enable "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" in the Picture settings of the monitor. On the other hand, setting up games on my desktop was a breeze. Nvidia drivers automatically changed my resolution for games and adjusted quality settings for the best experience on my 1080 Ti. Games such as GTA V and HITMAN ran buttery smooth in 2160p60Hz and look absolutely stunning! However, other games that did not have 4K textures or optimization had a better experience for me on 1080p144Hz. Upscaling the resolution for games that don't have 4K textures is not worth it, in my opinion.

I will admit LG's displays aren't the best. There is some backlight bleeding on the edges of the screen as some people have pointed out. It becomes a bit of an annoyance initially, but after you get used to it, it is hardly noticeable.

Another con is that this monitor is not very good for web browsing. The high PPI makes text not seem crisp. You must increase text scaling if you want text that is clear let alone large enough to read. This is not this particular monitor's fault but rather the fault of Windows 10 and HTML scaling for 24 inch 4K monitors - just something you should know before purchasing.

Since I am coming from a 1080p 144Hz set up, getting used to this monitor's low response time and refresh rate will take some time for me. Can't wait for 2160p 144Hz displays though!
7 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 30, 2017
I used this display to replace a BenQ FP202W 20.1" monitor that I picked up in 2006 (Yes, it still looks and works great). 11 years! I checked the order online to be sure of when I bought it.

This LG monitor is a real bargain. The inputs are minimal (2 HDMI and a Display Port) so it's dead simple to use. There is a little nub on the bottom under the LG logo that pulls up the onscreen controls.

The resolution on this is really amazing (which I expected from a 4K). The screen itself is not glossy but not matte either. It's just perfect.
The bezels are kept to a minimum and it's light but still sturdy. It's very light too, but not so light that you can't use it with a Desk Mount LCD Arm (I've got this monitor hanging from an LX Desk Mount LCD Arm. It's perfect and looks very cool too!).

Overall - when you first get it - this is a DARN good monitor. It's an amazing monitor for the price.

I'm hoping it has the same longevity that my old BenQ had. Interestingly. This new LG monitor was about $10 less than the BenQ.

It's hard not to be VERY happy with this monitor.
15 people found this helpful
on October 29, 2017
Don't think you will find a better 4K monitor for the price (at the moment).

Pros:
- This monitor is beautiful.
- The bezel is somewhat respectable compared to my 27" 2560x1440 and my 24" gaming monitor.
- The colors are.. WOW!
- Obviously, you can fit a lot more on one screen which might make it possible for users to reduce a 2-3 monitor setup to a 1-2 monitor setup.
- I like the control knob on the bottom. It is much better than controls on the back of the monitor which are hard to get to and not as ugly as a bunch of buttons on the front of the monitor.
- Two HDMI and a display port is great for hooking up different things to the monitor without having to get behind it and switch the cables around each time you need to switch the output device.
- Again, you won't find a 27" 4K monitor at a better price (at the moment).

Cons:
- The speakers are not the greatest. I would recommend either using headphones or getting external speakers if you need sound (my preference).
- The stand that this monitor comes with is actually pretty bad. If you bump your desk or if you are pounding away at your keyboard, you will definitely notice the monitor slightly shaking. You can easily avoid this with a VESA mount, but obviously that is another purchase that you will need to make if the shaking bothers you. I guess you get what you paid for, but the monitor itself is still very good!

Another "complaint" that is bugging me a bit:
I cannot get the screen color/brightness to match up exactly with my other two monitors. It is a little frustrating to look from one monitor to the next and see that they are different brightnesses (after spending quite a long time trying to adjust them to match).

In the end, I would give this monitor a 4.5/5. It does everything that I need it to do and the price was just unbeatable. When I can get a 4K monitor cheaper than a replacement 27" 2560x1440 monitor (my twin monitor that was having issues), then I am definitely going to give it a shot. I like LG as a brand and I am glad that they are competing in the monitor business (with other big names like: Asus, Acer, Samsung, Dell, etc.). I have had this monitor for a bit over two months now and haven't had any issues. I would recommend this for those who are on a budget and are looking to try out a 4K monitor!
12 people found this helpful