Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on November 1, 2016
Really nice entry level 4k monitor. I was a bit hesitant to buy this one because of the lack of reviews around the web. Decided the price was worth it and might as well give it a try. Turned out to be a great purchase, not perfect but still really great. I've been using it for doing art and animation, and of course 4k gaming. It's color isn't as nice as a 90%+ Adobe RGB, but LG's S-IPS panels still have great color, a step above most monitors, especially around this price point. Gaming is a dream on this thing, so sharp and crisp, truly glorious. Here are some Pro's and Con's:

-4k... duh
-10 bit color (8+A-FRC)
-S-IPS panel (great viewing angles)
- 99%+ sRGB (measured as NTSC 72%) gamut.
- Freesync (only works with AMD cards as of now)
- 5ms on an IPS panel
- 60hz
- Black stabilizer setting, can bring out the details in certain dark images.
- HDCP 2.2

- Only 3 inputs, 2 hdmi and 1 display-port (would have liked 1 more display-port)
- Has an anti-glare coating (it's not very aggressive like some I've seen, but still can cause slight distortion when viewed from above/below at extreme angles)
- At250 cd/m2 it's not on the high end of peak brightness, but not bad either.

Update 1: I thought it might be handy to add a little section on setting up the PS4 Pro with this monitor. I took me awhile to realize how to get it working to display at 4k. You need to have a newer hdmi cable (2.0, the monitor comes with a short one) and you need to enable the setting for HMDI UHD deep color, this enables RGB 4:4:4 chroma signals to pass over HMDI so it can talk to the PS4 Pro. This setting is under Menu>Picture>Picture Adjust>HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color. This setting is common among LG 4k devices, so if you have an issue on another LG product w/ ps4 Pro, make sure it's enabled. You may also need to change RGB settings on the PS4 Pro to "Full".

Update 2: I wanted to update with the settings I found best for my panel, in terms of color and brightness, etc. May not be universal, but could give a ballpark of what you may want.

Brightness: 69
Black Stabilizer: 35

Red: 55
Green: 53
Blue: 53

Six Color:
RedH: 50
4747 comments| 799 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 8, 2017
Note for Xbox one X users:
You cannot use freesync since it is display port only. You have to change the settings on the monitor under picture adjust>>turn on HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color before the xbox one x will allow 4k.

Once enabled go into settings>>display and sound>>advanced video settings>> then check the following in pictures. Once that is done you can change the resolution from 1080p to 4k uhd.
review imagereview imagereview image
66 comments| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 14, 2016
Was really excited for this monitor but unfortunately it has significant backlight bleed (see attached pictures), and a very noticeable dead black pixel (s). First picture is monitor at 100% brightness. The second picture is set at 50% brightness.

Other then that this is a great 4k IPS budget monitor.

I'm going to try and get a replacement. Hopefully that one has less bleed. Unfortunately when I do replace it amazon will then try to sell this same monitor as like new and then someone else will have to deal with these issues.
review imagereview image
1010 comments| 287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2017
This is a great monitor for the price. I usually try to be a value shopper, and I'm proud of this purchase. This monitor was about $100 less expensive than I paid for a normal HD monitor about 5 years ago! I'm replacing an HD Asus monitor, and wow! Finally, finally, I have a monitor that actually looks good beside my 15 inch Macbook Pro Retina Display. One thing I love about the Retina display is that text and photos look like high resolution print: incredibly smooth with no noticeable pixelation at a standard viewing distance of > 1 foot. This LG monitor also does this! But one thing to watch out for: You need to turn OFF "SUPER RESOLUTION+" (Menu > Picture > Picture Adjust). Otherwise, there will be noticeable pixelation rather than the smooth lines you expect from a retina-like monitor. I think this setting was added as a quick-and-foolish way to increase sharpness and contrast in one preset, but it really fails in that it is completely unnecessary (since you also have a separate sharpness and contrast settings) and it does more harm than good.

Speaking of settings, here's what looks best for me: Brightness: 100, Contrast: 70, Sharpness: 50, Black Level: Low, Deep Color: Off, DFC: On, Response Time: High, Black Stabilizer: 50, Gamma: Gamma1, Color Temp: Warm or Custom, Red: 50, Blue: 50, Green: 50. I also made the Gamma slightly darker using my Mac's display profile. My only gripe is that the peak brightness is slightly less than for my MBP retina display, but it works out since I usually have my retina display at -1 or -2 peak brightness, which matches the LG monitor. The default contrast of 70 seems optimal, as midtones appear to exponentially disappear above 70, while linearly decreasing up to 70. The default sharpness of 50 also appears to be native, and there really is no reason to change this setting higher than 60. Sharper and aliasing becomes noticeable, and lower and it actually looks like the monitor is adding blur. A low black level looks best, and higher ones just look washed out. Deep color didn't work for me, so I had to keep it off. I turned on DFC (digital fine contrast), but I didn't really notice any difference with it on. I also didn't see a difference with a high response time, but I have it that way just in case.

In short: If you're looking to upgrade your existing monitor with a super high-resolution, value monitor, then get this one. Great for Macs! Just turn off Super Resolution, and keep the rest of the settings at default.
22 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 10, 2017
The brightness leaves much to be desired (250-ish)
Color is too warm, can not be correct using monitor or OS calibration, reducing the warmth makes the picture dimmer /gray
In my case, bottom edge has lower brightness
Stand only tilts in one plane, no swivel
No USB hub
No speaker (given this is more of a home monitor, speakers would be nice)

As expected:
IPS display, has much better color consistency when viewed from angles (Photo: This LG vs a TN monitor on right)
Can be used vertically (unlike TN monitors)
Vesa mount is present

4K resolution with 60Hz with HDMI & DP

Photos: left monitor is this LG (27UD58-B), right is a TN display
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 29, 2017
this monitor is GORGEOUS.
Ok that's the good thing, but it doesn't matter how gorgeous it is, if it wont' stay connected to the input devices. I have it connected to two: a ROKU box, and my macbook Pro. Both are connected through HDMI. I set up both the ROku and my MacBook pro, both worked fine. I always leave the ROKU box connected, but unplug my computer to take it with me. One day i plugged the computer in and it didn't show on the monitor, i got the "no signal detected, power save mode" warning. I wondered if maybe I had a bad cable, so I switched the cables with the Roku box. Nope.
I worried maybe the graphics card had blown out or something. I rebooted, and when it came back up it was on the monitor.
I hoped it was a one-time thing, but nope. The next day I was watching Netflix and there was a pause between me picking a program, and BOOM that one went out too. Since other people are complaining about the same thing, I can only blame the monitor. I hope I don't have to send it back, this thing is so beautiful and i got it at asuch a great price.
on January 3, 2017
Love it. I've got it hooked up to both an old home-built Windows 7 PC and a brand new 2016 MacBook Pro, using the included HDMI and DVI cables, and I switch back and forth between inputs often. Works great on each. Very comparable to using my previous 27" Apple Thunderbolt display, but at much lower cost. Being accustomed to the Thunderbolt and seeing volume controls on the LG I was a little confused at first as to why I couldn't hear any audio. This model doesn't have any built-in speakers. The monitor volume control simply adjusts the audio / headphone jack you can connect your own speakers to. A rather worthless feature, as I can adjust volume on my speakers or through my OS, but whatever. It's still got a great image for a great price.
11 comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 24, 2017
Bought a 1080 Ti and built a new rig around it with the intention of running 4k games (60Hz). The monitor looks great! Some games I can get 60+ FPS, but most are in the 42-60 range, which is fine with me. I don't see any ghosting, Mass Effect Andromeda looks as good as it can (not an optimized game). From Neverwinter MMO to Witcher 3 this card/monitor performs beautifully. I recommend this monitor if you want to go all out and build a cutting-edge rig. Even at 1440 and 1080 resolution it looks good. Price is decent
on October 29, 2017
Don't think you will find a better 4K monitor for the price (at the moment).

- This monitor is beautiful.
- The bezel is somewhat respectable compared to my 27" 2560x1440 and my 24" gaming monitor.
- The colors are.. WOW!
- Obviously, you can fit a lot more on one screen which might make it possible for users to reduce a 2-3 monitor setup to a 1-2 monitor setup.
- I like the control knob on the bottom. It is much better than controls on the back of the monitor which are hard to get to and not as ugly as a bunch of buttons on the front of the monitor.
- Two HDMI and a display port is great for hooking up different things to the monitor without having to get behind it and switch the cables around each time you need to switch the output device.
- Again, you won't find a 27" 4K monitor at a better price (at the moment).

- The speakers are not the greatest. I would recommend either using headphones or getting external speakers if you need sound (my preference).
- The stand that this monitor comes with is actually pretty bad. If you bump your desk or if you are pounding away at your keyboard, you will definitely notice the monitor slightly shaking. You can easily avoid this with a VESA mount, but obviously that is another purchase that you will need to make if the shaking bothers you. I guess you get what you paid for, but the monitor itself is still very good!

Another "complaint" that is bugging me a bit:
I cannot get the screen color/brightness to match up exactly with my other two monitors. It is a little frustrating to look from one monitor to the next and see that they are different brightnesses (after spending quite a long time trying to adjust them to match).

In the end, I would give this monitor a 4.5/5. It does everything that I need it to do and the price was just unbeatable. When I can get a 4K monitor cheaper than a replacement 27" 2560x1440 monitor (my twin monitor that was having issues), then I am definitely going to give it a shot. I like LG as a brand and I am glad that they are competing in the monitor business (with other big names like: Asus, Acer, Samsung, Dell, etc.). I have had this monitor for a bit over two months now and haven't had any issues. I would recommend this for those who are on a budget and are looking to try out a 4K monitor!
on December 10, 2017
Not all 4K monitors are created equal, and it's hard to know exactly how true that statement is until you are looking at different models plugged into your machine for comparison. This one is really great, crisp as heck, and runs at 60 Hz on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2015). To get 60 Hz and 4K on this monitor using a MacBook Pro, you have to plug into your display port. Below are two suggested cords that I have found work great.

To get 60 Hz on the 2017 MacBooks, get this cord: USB C TO DP Cable,Belinda USB-C Type c to DisplayPort Cable 6FT With Aluminium Case Support 4K resolution for Apple New Macbook Pro 2017, Samsung Galaxy S8

And for plugging into the Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) on 2015 MBP's, get this cord: