Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on April 7, 2013
Amazon has provided an extensive "Product Description" (taken from LG promotional literature) that outlines the myriad of features available on the LN5700 series of Smart TV's that became available in early 2013. There is no point in reiterating that list of features, so my review will focus on customer experience.
* SET UP: It took no time at all for a non-geek like me to set up the TV and the internet features. As they say: just follow the instructions on the screen.
* IMAGE QUALITY: I spent considerable time in a local electronics stores searching for the best buy in 42 inch smart TV's (needed to fit into a cabinet, therefore the size restrictions). While there I surveyed other sizes of TV's just to get an idea of quality of different brands. My overall impression: LG offers great quality for a reasonable price. Indeed, their new LN5700 series is a great value throughout the line of sizes available (32", 39" 42" 47", 50", and 55"). Sizes 42" through 55" have TruMotion 120 Hz technology, which makes for great images during sports and action movies. The 32" and 39" do not have the TruMotion feature and operate at 60 Hz refresh rate. For those who prefer to turn off or adjust the impact of the TruMotion technology, that is easily done. The LED backlighting, the Picture Wizard II feature, and Full HD 1080p resolution provide an exceptional image (better than any of the other brands I compared to while in the store). Saturated (but not gaudy) colors, great contrast ratio, and sharp edge definition all contribute to a clear, crisp image. The LN5700 has good off angle viewing performance and still looks good at angles around 30 degrees off center, unlike so many TV's that start to have the contrast degrade at 20 to 25 degrees. The screen is matte, rather than glossy to help reduce glare and reflections. There are a variety of pre-set color schemes you can chose from should you decide you like your images more vivid, etc. There is an "energy saving" setting that adjusts the brightness of the picture according to the ambient light. This feature can be set to off, minimum, medium, maximum, or auto. I found the picture best to have this setting at off or minimum.
* SOUND QUALITY: Many purchasers will run the sound through external speakers or sound bar, but even if you just want to use the build in speakers you will be pleased. The set of stereo speakers are ported to the back and to the bottom of the TV. This allows you to adjust the sound for wall-mounting or table-top standing. I have my TV sitting in a cabinet and have the sound setting to the combined wall-mount + table-top setting; perhaps because of the enclosed nature of the cabinet, I find the sound more than acceptable. In addition, the six available "sound mode" options and an equalizer help to fine tune the sound. I use the "Cinema" sound option with the "voice enhancement" set at one. This helps eliminate the background music from overwhelming the dialog.
* SMART TV: The CPU and GPU have been upgraded for 2013 in the LN5700 series making for rapid response in the multiple Smart TV / Internet features and for gamers. Reports are that the processor is 3 times faster than last years model, but I cannot make that direct comparison myself. The LN5700 has built-in WiFi, a built-in Web browser, and a wide range of Smart TV options including all the premium applications such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, You Tube, Amazon apps (as of mid-August 2013), etc. The Home Dashboard feature enables the TV to remember and list all the various applications you have downloaded and viewed on one convenient page. There is also a dedicated button on the remote to access it quickly. When you click on the Home option on the remote, displays a very thorough menu of options for Internet use, quick selections for some of the premium apps as well as a selection for just the Internet itself.
* INPUT/OUTPUT: At the side of the TV there are three HDMI connections (one labeled HDMI/ARC and one labeled HDMI/MHL) as well as three USB In ports. At the back of the TV there is an H/P Out port for headphones, an Optical Digital Audio Out port, ethernet / LAN port, and a set of Component cable / AV ports.
* REMOTE: The LN5700 is compatible with "The Magic Remote with Voice Command", which is available as an option. The remote that comes with the TV is fully functional and will be sufficient for most users (although it is not back-lit).
* HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The LN5700 series from LG is a great bargain if you want a great TV with LED backlighting with a plethora of features and you are satisfied with a non-3D TV. If you are looking for a 3D TV, try the LA6200 series, which is the upscale version of the LN5700.
* UPDATE: I have been using this TV for more than eight months now (late-December 2013) and I am still impressed with all aspects of the TV, especially the picture. I have had none of the problems that other reviewers have reported with power going off.
* UPDATE: Other reviewers have reported on an LG software glitch that was sending user information to LG even when the user turned the feature off. That glitch has been corrected as of 30 Nov. 2013 when my TV went through a firmware update.
5150+ comments| 794 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 5, 2013
This TV is fantastic. This is my third different brand in our quest for a 39 inch TV to fit my cabinet. I've had the Toshiba 39L1350u(hated it), the Vizio E390i-A1(like the picture but man was it buggy) and now the LG.

We love the LG. I know the 39 inch is only 60hz(compared to the Vizio which is true 120hz) but at only 39 inches, we have not seen any issues with motion blur at all. To the contrary really. Also, the colors on the LG really pop too. My wife and I both think the picture is noticeably better on the LG. We are very impressed with the picture so far.

I can't comment on the audio as I run mine through a separate receiver.

The "Smart" part of the LG is very nice as well. It has pretty much all the major apps you can want, including Amazon(which it looks like was added just recently) and MLB.TV. The Netflix interface is ok. It lacks the Adult/Kids separate interface, which my daughter liked on the Vizio, but they do have popup listing of categories, which includes kids ones she can choose from. The Amazon interface is nice(simiar to the Roku and light years better than Vizio's quarter screen size window). LG has a TON of smaller apps/games to choose from. I feel like it will take us a while to go through all that they offer.

All in all we are very happy with this TV and it looks like we found a keeper.

Pros
Quality picture that really pops.
Good black Levels too.
Solid Smart TV section with LOTS of choices.
Apps within the Smart section seem solid.

Cons
I hesitate to put this in the Cons section but it is only 60hz which could be a con to some.
Attaching the stand to the base was awkward. They have you put the screws in from the top, not the bottom like most. It makes keeping a screwdriver straight enough to screw in the front screw tough.
Remote that came with doesn't allow any control of other devices. The Magic Remote which they tout and does control other devices costs (significantly) extra.

**EDIT 9/12/2013 Simplink(for ARC) needs work**

As an update, the only real issue we have is SimpLink and trying to use ARC(Simplink must be on to use ARC). It REALLY needs work and some extra controls. I have tried 3 different brand receivers(Sony, Yamaha and Denon) with this thing, on every one, Simplink thinks when you turn the TV on, it should trigger the receiver to switch to TV audio, no matter what. Just because I turn the TV on does NOT mean I am going to use the LG Apps at that time. This needs fixing immediately.

Also, once in the Smart TV menus, I cannot get it to trigger the TV audio when I start an app like Netflix or Amazon. However, when I LEAVE/EXIT an app, it DOES trigger the TV audio switchover. This is COMPLETELY backwards and again needs fixing.

As it stands now, Simplink/ARC is completely unuseable with this TV due to the control issues. LG needs to do some work on how Simplink interacts with non-LG products.

BTW, for those that don't want to shell out for the Magic remote but do have an iPad or Smart phone, LG offers an app that can become a mouse pad/keypad of sorts when you are in the smart TV section. Once in the smart TV section, with the app running, pull up the mouse pad screen and the screen acts as a touch pad with mouse control, as well as a keyboard when needed. Makes things alot easier.

** EDIT 9/26/2013 Ended up returning it **

So, I ended up returning this TV. I REALLY wanted to like this one, as the colors and smart TV portion of it was great. However, what made us return it was we kept seeing strange occasional stuttering. It was weird. We could watch, say a tennis match or football and things would look great, but then we would see another scene and someone would move a certain way and the movement would stutter badly for a second or two, then be fine. It happened at times you would not think. You could also see like a frame skip in scenes with slow horizontal panning.

We played with every setting under the sun, but could not eliminate it. After a while it just got too frustrating.

We ended up going with the 40 inch Samsung UN40F6300. The Samsung is 120hz and we are not seeing the stuttering like on the LG. While the 40 inch doesn't quite fit in our amiore, I am adding a slide out tray which will give us the ability to pull the TV out and just swivel the Samsung a bit to put it back in the cabinet.

I will say, the Samsung Anynet(for ARC) plays a LOT nicer with my receiver(Denon) than the LG Simplink did. The audio switches perfectly on and off when entering/exiting apps.
33 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2013
We bought the 39inch TV during Amazons pre Black Friday sale. Thanks to Amazon Prime, the TV was delivered on Saturday morning. Shortly after delivery we had it mounted it on the wall and turned on. After the initial language/network setup, we were told an update to the Smart interface was available. After about 5 minutes the update was done and we were presented with LG’s Smart interface. We though the interface was clean and easy to navigate (This is our first Smart TV, third LCD TV). The first thing my wife did was try YouTube, which worked as expected. Then she tried Netflix, which also worked as expected. The apps loaded quickly and without any issues. The picture quality is excellent, the sound is pretty good. The sound is a bit tinny but probably more noticeable because I've read some of the other Amazon reviews before buying. My wife does not notice and/or care. We’ll probably add a sound bar at some point. We have not tried any of the other apps yet but so far we’re pleased as it does what we wanted most (TV, Netflix and YouTube). It looks sharp mounted on the wall, can be viewed at an angle, and has no glare even in a bright room.

We decided on this TV over the 40inch Samsung (UN40EH5300) for two reasons: 1) It has a matte screen vs. a glossy screen. We both find that glossy screens have way to much glare, especially in a room with the blinds open. 2) Because no one really complained about the apps not working, unlike the Samsung reviews.
33 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 5, 2017
Yes, it's true; while it was nice while it lasted, ultimately this TV died after a mere 3 years. It started with minor dark spots that were only noticeable over bright white colors (notably, hockey) and soon thereafter the backlighting failed. When I turn the TV on now I get the LG logo and then it turns to black. I contacted Tech Support, they ran me through a hard reboot (unplug TV, hold down power button for 30 seconds) which did not solve the problem. I made it known that I had never owned a TV that died this quickly. The support representative said a manager would call me back "the next day at 3:30 Central Time."

Well here we are a week later and no call. I contacted them again and they were absolutely no help and took no responsibility for their product. I will NEVER buy another LG Product for as long as I live. I am glad this happened before we bought an LG Washer and Dryer set that my wife wanted. Will not give this company another dime after how poor the product was, and, more importantly, how poorly I was treated by LG support.

Do. Not. Buy. LG. Period.
on October 31, 2013
A couple of years ago, I purchased a 46 inch 60Hz LED-LCD HDTV Smart TV. I also bought a smaller Vizeo for my bedroom. The LG was so easy to set-up and connect to my wireless router. The Vizo was quite difficult. This week I ordered and received the 39 inch to replace the 26 inch in my bedroom. Like my 46 inch LG, I had this 39 inch LG TV assembled and up and running in less than 10 minutes. I have had 13 surgeries over the years, and most were back and hip surgeries, so the weight of items are always an issue. These LG LED-LCD TVs are so lightweight that I have no problem with assembling or putting them where I need them. I am not a gamer, so the 60Hz is fine for me. In fact, I have no idea how clearer the picture would be with 120Hz.
I highly recommend LG TVs. I am beginning to think I should buy stock in LG since my TVs are LG as well as my refrigerator and washing machine. Their products are great, and I highly recommend.
55 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 30, 2017
Purchased December 6, 2013, I have loved this nice little TV until two days ago; radiating for four inches, at the top left corner, has become dark and there's also a left of center blob in the middle of the screen that pulsates lighter to darker every few seconds.

I'm 3 years and 1 month into owning this TV and while almost all features are 4-5 stars, the picture already going out with no manufacturer warranty at all is a huge let down. LG has no credibility with me, my friends and family or co-workers at all any longer. When a company like LG engineers to fail on this quick level and offers absolutely no warranty, it's clear we have to use our $'s for products better.
on November 16, 2013
I am not a pro when it comes to all the fancy things a tv can have inside of it. To me a tv is good when it has a great picture, and a good voice level. This has both of them included.

I am not sure if it is the 'true motion' or what but this has probably the best picture quality in a tv than I have ever seen. I got this for my brother for his birthday present. When I connected my ps3 to it the graphics and gameplay were much smoother and clearer than on my sharp aquos and I envy him for having a better tv because of it!

The tv is fairly priced especially when compared to standard hd tvs this is a smart tv so you can use internet/apps on it. Pretty much you get more for your money buying this tv. It is easy to use and easy to setup and LG has been becoming more and more of a part of my home. They have good products that will surely last a long time. 3 HDMI Ports, which seems to be becoming the norm but still enough for the blue ray player, hd receiver, and the gaming console.

All in all I can easily say that you will be happy with this tv. The picture is well worth it.
22 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 18, 2013
This is my first smart Tv and my first LG. I usually stick with Samsung for my Tv's and monitors as I have had a good experience with them. With that said I have never seen a better picture on a Tv and it's very bright. So watching during the day time or a well lit room is no problem with this Tv.

I would also like to note that I am a big gamer. One of the major things I was looking for when doing research was how responsive the tv was playing video games. And I am very happy with how good my Xbox 360 and Ps3 work on it. I even hooked up my computer to it to play some of my steam games.

Something I don't like about this Tv is the Tru-view or Tru-motion system. I think that's what it called. With this mode active it makes your movies and tv shows look like they have very strange camera movements. For awhile I thought it was just the way the Tv processed the video. But thank god I was able to turn off that feature.

Something else that I am kinda annoyed about with this Tv is it does not have the Amazon Instant video App. It's not available to download as well. But yet it has most of the other ones. Personally I have a lot of movies purchased on Amazon so this is especially annoying to me. So I have to waste one of my 3 HDMI ports for my ROKU box. If they added Amazon instant video I could remove my ROKU altogether.

The smart Tv features are an interesting feature to me. It's my very first Smart tv and I love the idea. I am also a power user on the computer so by hooking up my computer to the tv. I am tempted to just use the computer over the smart Tv system. Especially on things like Youtube. I really don't like the interface for youtube on this tv. I understand they are just trying to make it easier for the user but I prefer Youtube as it is on the computer. Also searching for things with the basic remote that comes with the Tv kinda sucks. I've been considering getting a tablet to interface with the Tv's Bluetooth it make searching easier. But again I have my computer hooked up with a wireless Keyboard and mouse. So it's almost pointless...

The speakers on the Tv are not to bad. I prefer a richer fuller sound so I have hooked up my old 5.1 system to the Tv. I am considering getting a sound bar for it. As I am hearing some good things about them.

All in all I am happy with my decision to purchase this Tv. I did a ton of research to make sure it was compatible with my gaming and Tv watching interests. I read a ton of reviews and no red flags poped up about this Tv. LG really needs to add the Amazon Instant video App as it's a huge issue for me.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 16, 2017
We bought this as a gift for my dad, and right as the warranty ended the bottom inch and a half of the screen go in and out of focus. It was literally one month after the warranty expired and they refused to fix it. So we called customer care, and complained. They offered an extended warranty to fix it, but we had to pay up front. When their people came to look at it they said it was too expensive to fix and LG didn't want to refund us for the extended warranty that did nothing. After much yelling and refusing to give up, they finally refunded us. Since the T.v. was expensive I haven't been able to buy my dad a new T.V., so he's been dealing with it being blurry on the bottom. Now, it won't stay logged into netflix, and when I called them to see what was going on, Netflix said it was a LG problem and has been happening with all the LG T.V.s.

Tl;Dr: Worst customer service, waste of money, will never buy again. I'd rather buy off brand then have an LG product.
on October 17, 2013
I have needed a new TV for a while but hated spending the money because frankly, I was not impressed with the set I had (a so called great tv that constantly needed fixing and you could barely understand a word they said. I finally gave in after the warranty expired on the other set and started looking around. After much shopping I seemed to keep coming back to this set and I am so glad I did. The picture is incredible and LG sends an email telling you how to enhance that, you can understand every word and the levels seem to stay the same on every channel unless you decide to change it. The colors are gorgeous and I am actually watching the shows instead of trying to understand what they are saying while I do other things. The "smart" part is really fun and even at my age I am having fun and learning how to work everything. The set up was a breeze. I plugged it in and connected it to my cable box and went "wow" when I looked at the picture. I really believe that this is not only the best buy but the best HDTV I have seen to date.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.