Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 854 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 981 reviews
on November 17, 2013
This TV was great... for the first 4 months. I was impressed that I could stream Netflix and YouTube from my Android phone to the TV using LG's version of Chromecast. I also did not realize when I bought the TV that it was DLNA compliant and can stream from my NAS. All those were great features.

One day, about 4 months after buying the TV, I was watching Hulu and it just stopped. I tried going to the app again and the TV said it was not connected to the internet. So I went into settings and went to the network menu and attempted to connect to my network (I had the TV hardwired). The TV kept saying that I needed to plug in my network cable. So I unplugged the cable and attempted to use WIFI. Again, the settings just said the network cable was unplugged and it would not let me enter the wireless or wired setup.

I called LG and they sent a tech over a few days later. When the tech came, the connectivity worked perfectly. So I figured, and so did the tech, that it was just a glitch. A few hours after the tech left, the TV did it again. The TV was unable to connect to anything (network, internet, etc...) and when I would go to the settings menu the response time was dramatically slowed. To move through the network settings menu took literal minutes. When changing the volume, I have to wait about 10 seconds between each push, however I can clearly see the TV is registering each tap of the volume button because the light on the TV flashes when I push the volume, it just doesn't change the volume.

So, I called LG again and they sent a tech back over. He replaced the mainboard. It happened again. I contacted the tech and he called LG's technical support who told him it was a software issue where the apps would overload the board and cause a crash. He explained this to me. I called LG support and told them everything that happened. They said they would work on the issue and would get back to me. Several days later I hadn't heard back from them, so I called again. I went through the same process and this time the representative gave me her email. A few days went by and I emailed her to see what was going on with the TV. At this point, since the techs said it was a software issue, meaning replacing boards or even the entire TV would not fix the problem, I wanted a refund. I never received an email response from the representative.

So I called LG for a 4th time. This time I went through a representative, then a supervisor, then a manager. At each level the LG person had to call over to LG's technical support to confirm (apparently no one knows how to communicate at LG) that this in fact was a software issue. Finally, after talking with the manager, I got it officially acknowledged it was a software issue. At this point, I asked if I could just have my money back because I was sick of dealing with this and the TV was only 4 months old. She said she was not authorized to give me a refund and would have to send a request to the Return Authorization department and if they approved it, I could get my money back. I asked if they denied it would I be stuck with a broken TV. She point blank said, "Yes". I was floored. LG admitted it was their software that did not work, rendering the "smart" portion of this TV inoperable and they would not refund my money.

I asked for the mailing address of the President of LG to write a letter, while I wait for what I'm sure will be a denial from the Return Authorization department. The manager gave me some PO Box number. After a little digital snooping on Alabama's Department of State website, I found the real address of the company and the president and executive supervisor for LG USA. Below are there names and address in case anyone else would like to send a letter to LG. I sent letters the other day and am waiting for a response.

Kyu Moon Yu (president)
Joy Mills (executive supervisor)

201 James Record Road
Huntsville, AL 35824

On the upside, because Amazon is a stellar company that actually values its customers, they said that even though I'm outside the 30 day return window, if LG doesn't help me, they will refund 80% of my purchase. So basically, this was an $80 (assuming LG doesn't refund my money) lesson to NEVER EVER BUY AN LG PRODUCT. I was seriously considering buying an LG G2 or LG Nexus 5 smart phone and some LG appliances in the future. That will never happen. Not only do they make terrible products, but their customer service is horrible and, even after admitting a problem is unfixable, they refuse to issue a refund.

Update: LG Return Department denied my refund claim because they stated they only serviced it once. Apparently it did not matter that their own tech department said it was a software problem and could not be fixed unless there was a software update. The current software version is 04.00.34 and is known to cause apps to crash which affects the entire network connectivity of the TV. I think LG's customer service is deplorable and the company should be publicly shamed for knowingly selling and refusing to refund a defective product.

On the upside, Amazon refunded 80% of my purchase price and I'm getting the Samsung UN40F6400, more expensive, but much better TV and I actually trust the Samsung brand having owned several Samsung devices. LG will never get my business again, which is too bad for them because I buy an inordinate amount of technology and also recommend technology to my friends and family. Someone at LG missed a business 101 class.

Update: 12/9/13. I just received a call from Joy Mills regarding the letter and invoice I sent LG. After returning the LG TV to Amazon, Amazon charged a 20% restocking fee. So, after detailing all the information in my letter, also including all relevant law regarding MA consumer protection and warranties, I invoiced LG for the 20% restocking fee I was not refunded. I'm happy to say that upon providing proof that Amazon did not refund that 20%, Ms. Mills said that she would have the accounting department cut me a check and I should have it by next week. So, all it took was about 5 different phone calls, a letter from an attorney (me) detailing all the relevant law and a promise to forward the issues to the Attorneys General of MA and AL. It's nice that I finally got the 20% back, but honestly, it's $80, it's not that much money, it was more about the principle. LG needed to stand behind their product, which, until the call from Ms. Mills, they hadn't. LG has somewhat redeemed themselves, however, I'm still hesitant to purchase their products (love my new Samsung by the way). But I will give credit where credit is due. Ms. Mills was very pleasant on the phone and she solved my problem in about 5 minutes. So, if anyone has a serious problem with their LG product that cannot get remedied through customer service, I highly recommend sending letters to LG corporate headquarters as I've noted above.

Update: 12/20/13. I received my 20% refund from LG. Ms. Mills made good on her promise and I thank her for her help and quick resolution in the matter. I only wish LG's customer service team had the intelligence to make this decision without me having to waste hours on the phone.
3939 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2013
(Since buying the 32" version of this model, I have also purchased the 42" version- just about everything in this review is also applicable to the 42" version- see my full edits and additions at the end of this review)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I needed a small HDTV for my home office to watch news, etc while working. It's located 3.5' away from me on a file cabinet next to my desk. It turned out to be a bit larger than I expected for viewing that close, but after watching it for a few days I decided I really liked the size and didn't return it.

THE GOOD:

The LED back lighting is pretty even, it's not edge-lit, so it doesn't suffer from the bright-edge effect that many edge-lit HDTVs have, and not buying an edge-lit model was a main deciding factor. The off-axis viewing angle- left to right and below to above is pretty good, not as good as my CFL back-lit Samsung, but the LG cost a small fraction of the Samsung and there will never be a room full of people seated around watching it in my office like the Samsung in the living room. If you get off-axis far enough you will see some variation in the backlighting on scenes that have a uniformly dark background, like movie titles over a black background, but I doubt that most people would ever sit that far off-angle or notice it.

The colorimetry was pretty terrible out of the box, and I was worried that I would have to send it back because I found it unacceptable, but after a half an hour of tweaking, viewing and tweaking some more I arrived at settings that were nearly equal to my Samsung and was satisfied with the results.

The built-in speakers are down- and rear- firing, intended to bounce off what the HDTV is sitting on and/or the wall behind it if wall-mounted, and are adequate if you're in a quiet room. In a noisy environment, you may not find them adequate. In that case, there is an optical output on the back, intended to be connected to a speaker bar with it's own built-in amplifier or to a sound system (stereo or A/V) . One of the inadequacies of the manual which I'll discuss more fully later is that there is pretty much nothing mentioned about which models of LG speaker bars are compatible except the trade-mark "SoundSync" which I have not found mentioned anywhere in any of the LG speaker bars online or on the LG website itself. Something I noted about the volume control is that it appears to operate on a linear curve rather than logarithmic curve (which is normally used because it closely matches the response of one's hearing)- what this means is when you increase the volume to 50% of it's range, the apparent volume to your ear will sound like about 90% of it's full range, and there will be a much smaller increase in sound level when increased from 50% to 100%. An oddity that hopefully can be corrected in a future firmware upgrade, and not a deal-killer.
I don't have a speaker bar, but I do have a wireless surround headset, and I connected it to the optical output to see if it would work. At this point I found that only the internal speakers or the optical output can be enabled at any one time, and this is not a problem if you're using a speaker bar, but I would have preferred to have an option to have both enabled at the same time so that I could used the mute button to kill the speakers when I want to use the headphones, instead of having to go through several layers of menus to do the same function. A bit annoying, but again, not a deal-killer. The wireless surround headset (an old Sony MDR-DS6000) were a huge improvement over the internal speakers.

HDMI inputs work well, and my old, spare Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player provided excellent quality picture and audio via HDMI input, as did a Windows 7 Media Center computer. I did not test any USB streaming devices, the analog outputs or the headphone output.

I connected a basic 4-dipole un-amplified antenna (AntennasDirect DB4, no longer available for sale) that I had lying around just to make sure the tuner works. It's simply stuck in a window, pointed at a 90 degree angle away from all of the area broadcast towers and looking directly at a tree with full foliage outside the window. Even under such adverse conditions the HDTV gets quite a few stations, so if given a better antenna location I think the tuner would perform quite well.

Netflix streaming works quite well and I haven't experienced any issues. I haven't tried any other of the Smart-TV options at this point.

THE BAD:

I don't love the menu system. It's not as user-friendly as my Samsung HDTV is, and I think many people will find it confusing. I've gotten used to it, but like I said, I don't love it.

The manual is the worst part of this HDTV. Many things are not explained or not explained well. I mentioned about the lack of specifics regarding compatible speaker bars above.
Another omission is information about the optional Skype camera- in the manual it only mentions the models AN-VC4** and AN-VC5**... after a lot of searching, I found only one model, the AN-400 on an LG foreign country website. Searching for this camera turned up sellers in Hong Kong, Great Britain and Australia (on Amazon and Ebay) for very high prices ($200+). Apparently the AN-VC5** is not yet available in any country in the world... This HDTV is a 2013 model, so maybe the accessories have not caught up with the HDTV model year yet. After a lot more searching I found the AN-VC400 available in the US for $99. From comments on the LG User forums it appears that one must use the LG webcams only with this HDTV. I tried several webcams I had and they were not recognized by the HDTV. This is kind of absurd for LG to exclude something as ubiquitous as a webcam from working unless it is one of their own manufacture, in my opinion. I'm still searching to see if other users have found cameras that will work, but the ones I've tried so far have worked universally on both Apple and Windows products and are very generic. The reviews of the LG cameras have been mixed.

Also, in the menu system there is mention of connecting to wireless headsets, but no mention of anything about that in the manual. When I was searching for a new set of surround headsets I did run across a few that said they were compatible with some LG models (this particular LG model was not in the list)- I believe they were Sennheiser brand, but I'm not certain. There is no indication whether these are Blu-tooth, or other RF or what frequency range they operate on.

Wireless connection- The MAC address (the unique hardware ID for the internal wireless adapter) is nowhere to be found. Because I've set the security up on my network to only allow access to devices which I own by including their MAC address in the router access table, I had to spend a significant amount of time to identify the MAC address for the LG HDTV before I could access it wirelessly. This information is required by the FCC to be displayed on the outside of the device on a tag or sticker, but was not on the LG anywhere. I realize most people may not be affected by this, but this information should have been displayed for those whose are security-minded like myself.

From the comments left at the LG user forums, people generally have reported that LG support reps are difficult to contact and less than helpful.

One final note: As others report, the base of the HDTV does not swivel or tilt, it is fixed... not a deal-breaker for me, but it might be for others.

OVERALL: I think this HDTV is a good value for the price and produces very adequate quality pictures for a secondary screen. I would not buy this for viewing Blu-ray movies in my living room or home theater, but it's good enough that I bought a second one, a 42" model to put in one of my bedrooms for occasional use. If you can put up with the lousy manual that is greatly lacking in information, it's probably a good-to-great choice for you.

A BRIEF RESUME OF THE REVIEWER: I am an engineer for one of the three television broadcast networks and a great deal of my work day involves critically observing, analyzing and making corrections to HDTV media to ensure that what you see at home is the best it can be; I spend most of my day staring at high quality HDTV monitors, and my standards and expectations are unquestionably higher than the average person.

*****
EDIT 6/29/2013: Since buying the 32" version of this model, I have also purchased the 42" version for occasional use in my bedroom. Just about everything in this review is applicable to the 42" version, although I found that my optimal video settings for the 42" were just slightly different; this is partly due to the lighting in the 2 rooms being different- starting out with the settings I used on the 32" and applying them to the 42", I only had to make 3 minor changes to the brightness, contrast and color saturation to make both match each other closely.
Also, I read one other reviewer mention that the screen is a matte finish... I would have to disagree with this. I have a Samsung HDTV that has a glossy screen, and a Samsung monitor that has a matte screen... I would have to call the LG screens for this model semi-gloss- you can definitely see reflections of objects and lights in the screen that are clearly defined when the HDTV is off, unlike my Samsung monitor where any refections appear as undefined blobs of uneven lighting, but somewhat less pronounced than my Samsung HDTV which has clearly defined reflections when it is turned off.

An interested shopper asked whether the Smart App supported Amazon Prime yet... the answer at this point is that the firmware for both models I own does not support Amazon Prime as of 6/29/2013. Hopefully it will be updated in the future like some other LG models allegedly have been. I have a ROKU box that supports Amazon Prime, and honestly, Netflix video quality is much better to Amazon Prime at this time and Netflix has a much wider variety and greater quantity of programming, so I'm not really put off by not having Amazon Prime support at this point. Hopefully Amazon will up their game and improve the quality of their streaming products in the near future- I am a Prime customer, but I really don't take advantage of my access because the quality disappoints me whenever I watch something on Amazon.

Other reviewers have stated that the headphone jack doesn't work, or that the headphone level is inadequate. The headphones must be enabled in the menu, and there is no setting for both the headphones and the speakers (or any other audio output for that matter) to be enabled at the same time. I personally would like to not have to go to the menu to switch back and forth. The headphones and speaker volumes are controlled separately, depending on which is enabled, and will return to the last setting for each, depending on which is currently available. When the headphones are first accessed, they are at a default low-level setting even if the speakers were last set to maximum, so one might not think they are working unless the volume is advanced. Once advanced, it will stay there after switching back to the speakers, which will remain at the last setting they were set at. The headphones at maximum are barely adequate in a noisy environment, and I agree with the reviewer that stated the volume range on the headphones is inadequate... it's just barely usable in my opinion, with no overhead for programming that doesn't have adequate volume level to begin with.

Another interested shopper asked a question about the wall-mount hole spacing on the back of the HDTV. The 32" model has 200mm x 100mm spacing (which is an uncommon spacing) and the 42" model has 200mm x 200mm spacing.

One final note about screens on this model... the 42" model in my bedroom is on top of a bookcase, and when lying in bed I have to look up at it... if my track lights are on while watching TV, there is a definite reflection from each track light that is reflected in a rainbow on 4 axis from each light source... it's very pronounced, and is likely an artifact of the light reflecting on the LED diffusion panel at the rear of the LCD screen; my Samsung HDTV does not exhibit this same tendency, it simply reflects an image of the light itself, however the Samsung has CFL illumination, and a different backlight diffusion technology, and this could be a characteristic of the LED illumination engineering. At any rate, when viewing the screen from eye-level, these reflections are not visible. Eventually, my plans are to wall-mount this and at that point I can tilt the screen slightly down and the reflections will no longer be a factor. As I stated below in my original review, I would not pick these models as my primary HDTV for my living room or home theater, but I think they are very good choices for what I purchased them for... for secondary occasional use in my home office and bedroom.

Update 8-21-2013- I did get a wall mount for the 42" LG in my bedroom and angled it so that I was viewing almost straight-on while lying in bed, as I mentioned above that I was planning to do. This was very effective at getting rid of the reflections from my track lighting that I mentioned above. The wall-mount was a fairly simple slimline mount, and only cost $20 on Amazon, so it didn't break the bank. I have a low platform bed and the LG is mounted fairly high on the wall, so unless you have a similar viewing scenario, you should not be affected by the same kind of reflections.

Update 8-22-2013- I checked to see if there was any new firmware for the 32LN5700 and found that Ver. 04.00.20 is now available for both my 32LN5700 and 42LN5700. I updated the firmware and found that the Amazon instant video app is a part of this firmware update. After starting up the app (which took a long time the first time on the 32LN5700 and didn't complete, but on the second try it was faster and completed starting up) the first Amazon instant video screen appeared. From the Amazon instant video screen press the yellow button on the remote for 'help', Select 'Prime Instant Video', arrow over to 'Register your device' at the top of the screen, then on the following screen arrow down to 'Register Your Device'. A 5 digit code will appear. After you have the code go to the Amazon.com/mytv website on your computer and enter the 5-digit code that was displayed on the xxLN5700 to register the HDTV with your account and select your credit card info, billing address and a 5-digit PIN. Once registration is complete you'll have free Amazon Prime instant video (if you're a Prime member) and access to paid videos as well. If you're not a Prime member, the registration should be very similar and easy enough to figure out.
99 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2017
We bought this as a gift for my dad, and right as the warranty ended the bottom inch and a half of the screen go in and out of focus. It was literally one month after the warranty expired and they refused to fix it. So we called customer care, and complained. They offered an extended warranty to fix it, but we had to pay up front. When their people came to look at it they said it was too expensive to fix and LG didn't want to refund us for the extended warranty that did nothing. After much yelling and refusing to give up, they finally refunded us. Since the T.v. was expensive I haven't been able to buy my dad a new T.V., so he's been dealing with it being blurry on the bottom. Now, it won't stay logged into netflix, and when I called them to see what was going on, Netflix said it was a LG problem and has been happening with all the LG T.V.s.

Tl;Dr: Worst customer service, waste of money, will never buy again. I'd rather buy off brand then have an LG product.
on January 30, 2017
Purchased December 6, 2013, I have loved this nice little TV until two days ago; radiating for four inches, at the top left corner, has become dark and there's also a left of center blob in the middle of the screen that pulsates lighter to darker every few seconds.

I'm 3 years and 1 month into owning this TV and while almost all features are 4-5 stars, the picture already going out with no manufacturer warranty at all is a huge let down. LG has no credibility with me, my friends and family or co-workers at all any longer. When a company like LG engineers to fail on this quick level and offers absolutely no warranty, it's clear we have to use our $'s for products better.
on October 14, 2013
Overall, I have been mostly satisfied with the sound and video. Although the picture is not as wonderful as that of my recently failed 8-year-old 42-inch Pioneer plasma, I have been able to obtain acceptable results by establishing different and easily accessible settings for the type of program to be viewed (sports, documentary, TV series, news, etc.).

But I am concerned about the claim that this set features a 120hz refresh rate. The info bar which appears when the set is turned on states that it is 60hz, and I have been unable to change that after making every conceivable adjustment allowed in the video settings.

Is this 120hz claim an error in the advertising appearing on Amazon.com, or a deliberate misrepresentation made by the manufacturer or distributor which Amazon.com continues to ignore? Incidentally, at least one other reviewer has reported this issue.

If an adjustment is available to obtain 120hz performance, I would appreciate knowing about it. If this set is limited to a 60hz refresh rate, then I would have more confidence in Amazon.com's future advertising if this misrepresentation is corrected.

ADDED 10/17/2013: All the above discussion re: 60hz/120hz refresh rate should be disregarded (see comments, which I have allowed to remain for the benefit of others as uninformed as I've been). Also, I raised my rating to 4 stars, which I consider quite high for a TV so reasonably priced.
55 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2014
Bought it on March 1, 2014
Big enough for a small living room. If you are watching a movie, go to the picture settings and turn the true-motion off so you will see that the movie becomes cinematic. If you have divx ( .avi) movies, just put those in a flash drive and watch it with the usb input. It supports many video formats. To connect to your network, I suggest you cat7 ethernet cable if possible, faster connection is always good for streaming videos. Everybody says the headphone output level is low, it is correct, but you can live with it. I used optical cable with optical to analog converter which gives better result. In this connection you need to select the audio option as lg optical. Picture quality is perfect!
UPDATE AFTER 1 YEAR USE:
My 4 year old digged in to the menu and somehow changed the language to Japanese. I wasted 15 minutes to change it back to English. There is no clue, (even "language" is written in Japanese) unless you go online with your computer and download and read the manual page by page. If the real manual is on your bookshelf, lucky you!
Update on 4/19/16. After 2 years of use:
The fiber optic cable input, actually the holder is now broken. Now it does not hold the fiber optic cable. The holder which is made of a plastic was so weak, I think it is made of a cheap plastic.
on December 16, 2016
Analog board failed after just 2.5 years. Started to fail after two years with dark spots appearing on the screen, then just with no display and three blinking lights on power-up. Capacitor failures--cheap parts?

It also had an insanely long delay between selecting input modes, requiring a "confirmation" click for rapid transfers. Since we used the remote from the cable company as our primary remote, the confirmation/select button wasn't available. This problem was not present on our earlier 42" LG, purchased in 2010 (which still works fine).
on November 17, 2014
My first flat screen TV was an LG and it was fantastic so I am incredibly disappointed in this purchase.

I have had many issues with this TV almost from the beginning. About 2 months after purchasing this TV I suddenly started experiencing issues with the WIFI dropping out every once in a while when I was streaming movies with my Amazon Prime membership. It then started to happen more and more frequently often the TV would be unable to find my home network or the WIFI wouldn't initialize. I went and got a new router and hard wired the TV with an Ethernet cable to rule out those issues. This did nothing.

At this time the TV randomly will turn on and off, streaming movies will freeze or suddenly drop altogether. When I can replace this TV, LG will not be in my brands to consider.
66 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2014
As a first time customer to LED TVs i searched and researched thoroughly until i made up my mind with this model. I know LG & Samsung are the leaders in this class of entry to mid-level smart TVs and went for LG because of more features/options.

The only thing needs constant work for any TV is tweaking the settings for viewing. That said there aren't much recommended settings for this on Google. The picture wizard is simple to use but doesn't always produce the end-result that is wanted. My suggestion is to start form here:
AVS forums and also tweaktv.com

I would definitely recommend as this tv is inexpensive and great value
on April 17, 2015
I've been very pleased with this TV which I bought in January of 2014 however just over a year later the picture has gone. Don't buy this TV without purchasing the protection. I'm waiting now to see what SquareTrade is going to do and how cumbersome it's going to be to replace it or if they will. Ugh!