Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LG LX 160 Prepaid Phone, Blue (Kajeet)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 22, 2009
I was looking for a good cell phone for my son just to take to his friend's house so he can call me when he wants to move on to another house and I can keep track of him.

OUT OF THE BOX

It was very easy to set up with the quick start guide. The battery was already charged, so I did not have to wait to set things up. The website was easy to access and log in. I got the phone number and passwords in no time.

PHONE

The phone looks like any other phone. It is lighter weight than my cell phone at 2.7 ounces. The wallpaper has the graphics of an old-fashioned video game and plays a little midi tune. It's cute.

The shell is shiny, gets fingerprints all over it. I would prefer a matte finish, but that's okay.

The screen looks much like my cell phone screen and operates much the same way.

Sound quality of the phone calls is tinny, not crisp and clear. I prefer my own phone. However, it gets the job done, which is basically enabling me to keep in contact with my child.

PARENTAL CONTROLS

The site allows me to manage my child's spending account. I can also restrict his phone calls to time of day or contacts.

Kajeet offers so many features which I am happy to disable. With my permission, my child can use ringtones, wallpaper, games, apps, feeds, Google maps and web surfing.

There is a wallet feature so the parent and child can split the costs. The parent can choose which calls the child must pay for.

GPS LOCATOR

I have set this up but the locator has been unable to locate the phone, which sits in my house. Kajeet service works here, so it is not a matter of being out of area. I thought maybe being inside a building was the problem, so I put the phone outside. Still no go. This service was free to try, but I will not renew this service.

SUMMARY

A good phone for the price. It is especially good if you want control over your child's phone habits or to help them budget.

I recommend the monthly plan. It is advertised as $4.99/month which includes 10 minutes of talk time and 10 cents a minute thereafter; but they have an administrative fee, so it's a few pennies more. It does not require a subscription. This phone is much less expensive than other phones with similar parental control features. I recommend it (unless you need it for GPS locator service).

__________________________________

UPDATE 6/27/09:

After using this for some time, I have run into a few problems, nothing that customer support hasn't been able to rectify, but it did sometimes frustrate me.

1) Starting with the GPS locator: I have since learned from Kajeet staff that the reason my GPS locator did not function as advertised is that I tried activating the service too soon after activating my phone. The site does not tell us we cannot do that and customer service agreed that should be explained more clearly when we are setting up service.

2) I had the monthly service set up to automatically renew every month for $4.99 a month. It included daily service fees and 10 minutes of calls. All of a sudden, I was getting charged daily service fees and for every single phone call. I went to my account and sure enough, it was set up for automatic renewal yet did not renew. One phone call and I was told they had changed their computer system and my account did not transfer over properly.

3) I set my child's account up to send and receive only calls from my husband's phone and my own. Somehow, he was receiving calls from an unknown number from someone who was obviously dialing the wrong number. She would leave messages, text him, everything . . . and I was being charged for it all. Called customer service and it turns out that since I had turned on the option of calls from Mom's number and Dad's number to "always allow" (no time restrictions) the computer took that to mean any number, even though the option for allowing all other numbers was blocked. That girl just thought I was dumb for not understanding how that could be. I still don't get it. All numbers are blocked, except mine and my husband's, but "always allow" calls to and from our number makes calls from all other phones okay. I told her they need to explain that option more clearly on the website. She fixed it, but I can hear her rolling her eyes.

Basically, just watch the account activity. Sometimes charges appear there that shouldn't be there, calls occur that shouldn't be allowed. Not everything is explained clearly on the website. If they change computer systems and it may affect your account, you may not be notified.

We still use the phone. Like I said, customer service has always been able to fix whatever problems I have. I feel like I need to be on my toes, but the phone has worked as it should, with the exception of GPS Locator, which I was told I'd get to try again for a month, but I haven't taken them up on it.
on December 16, 2008
This an excellent alternative to a regular cell phone. The phone is lighter than a regular cell phone but the quality is still there. The phone is as easy as any regular cell phone to use with typical controls but the customer support from the company is great. Although geared towards kids I have used this and found little difference between it and a basic "regular" cell phone besides the cute start up graphics. The company does have some great controls in place if you do buy it for a kid. Although it looks like for a limited time they have a rebate program that makes the phone free!
[...]
The economics the way they are it makes no sense at all to buy into any two year plan. This one makes it so I can adjust to whatever happens right away, which is a serious piece of mind. It comes in handy for when you need it on trips or an "emergency" but has enough to it for regular use as well. Finally able to break away from the two year contracts and very happy about it!
on May 21, 2009
Bought this as a stopgap because I lost my regular phone. The monthly $4.99 deal from Kajeet is excellent if you don't use a cell much, though you cannot get the advertised rebate if you sign up for the cheapo plan. Extra minutes are 10 cents, which can add up. Coverage in DC area is OK, but noticably less than my other network. Even if buying for yourself, you have to keep transferring money from "parent" to "kid", which is a a bit annoying but easy to do online. Be sure to give the parent and kid different names even if they are both you because names can't be changed once set up. There are lots of handy features to control your tyke's talk time, like limiting times of use but permitting calls to certain numbers all the time. The phone itself is nice except that the battery life is awful, it needs recharging after being on for less than a day even if talk time is minimal. Kajeet offers other phones that may be worth the extra bucks.
on February 21, 2009
phone works well - especially with the extra $ that comes with it. Kajeet offers a good service for kids, where parents get to have a lot of control over the times, and numbers kids can call/receive calls from.
on April 29, 2009
This phone is perfect for my family needs. My son is 10 and isn't quite ready for a cell phone of his own, but I needed something to keep on hand for certain events where he would be without me. The best thing about this phone is the online controls. You can establish which numbers the phone can call and which numbers can call the phone! And yuo can monitor all phone calls made from the phone online. I also used the GPS tracking for the first month free and it was fairly accurate. But it doesn't work if the phone is off or is out of range. It's a nice little phone perfect for my 10 year old. I'm glad we bought it.
on November 15, 2008
I was not at a computer to begin the kajeet activation process for the LG so I called kajeet customer care. The person I spoke with was very friendly and patient with me. I was in my car with my kids at the time. The customer service person walked me through the process and everyone was very happy before we reached our destination and the phone was a hit. The LG phone works great and the parental controls are fantastic. It is the perfect phone for the younger ones. We have three kids and each loves their kajeet. Thanks.
on February 2, 2009
I just signed on with Kajeet a couple of weeks ago. I have two tween children and I bought the Kajeet plan for them and myself. I am very happy with the plan and even happier to have gotten away from the two-year contract with my previous carrier. I love the phone options and the parental controls! Kajeet is the best for me and my family! Great customer service, too! No complaints so far!
on August 20, 2008
This phone may be ok but product support is terrible. I spent 8 minutes on hold with Amazon at the number listed above. Be warned, they have NO relevant information re how to actually get the phone activated, number portability, or coverage. I did look at a Sprint map for coverage details and it is much more limited than my current carrier. Amazon finally said they would refer me to a number at Kajeet that might be able to answer my questions. I would not consider buying this product based on this service experience. Apparently you get what you pay for.
on June 9, 2009
The screen on this phone went blank almost right out of the box. Their online support is ridiculous - they gave me a customer service number and I was on hold for OVER one hour and still no one ever answered (Yes, I called during business hours). Waiting for instructions on how to get a refund of the money we loaded on the account.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse