Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 12, 2017
I bought this for my elderly mother who washed her other flip phone and could not afford a new one. I bought this more expensive one (as compared with other used ones on Amazon) and the link I clicked through from said this was a phone in "very good" condition. You'll see from the photos that it is beaten up. And I cannot hear my mom when she calls me (and her friends cannot hear here, either), so there is something wrong with the speaker. I bought a Samsung phone refurbished, so I thought I would try my luck with this, but now I am regretting it.
review imagereview image
4 people found this helpful
on August 7, 2017
This phone is not refurbished, not worth $10.00, let alone $50. It is in sad shape, the speaker makes noises that it is blown out and will not program. $50 paperweight. Buyers beware. Phone is all beaten up and scratched.
review imagereview image
2 people found this helpful
on August 29, 2006
I've had this phone for about a week. At first glance, it was so many lightyears better than the free phone T-Mobile had given me that I was overjoyed. Then I noticed some flaws. I'll summarize this as a pros and cons list.

PROS - Fabulous reception. The last time I had Verizon it dropped nearly all the calls at my house, so I was taking a big chance switching back because of the phone. Even with 1/2 a bar the connection quality was excellent. I heard everyone much more clearly and everyone noted that they heard me better as well. And, in NY, Verizon has a better overall coverage area, so I was happy. So far, so good.

I personally liked the way this phone feels next to my face and in my hand better than either the Chocolate or the Razr, but that's a matter of personal preference. For me the deal-killer with the Chocolate was the lack of speaker phone too.

I also like the way the phone book is set up. Everything seems intuitive and well thought out in general.

So far, so good, but the cons are a definite annoyance:

CONS - 1. Horrible battery life. This phone has a battery life like phones of 5 years ago. You need to charge every night, even on standby. Don't forget to get a car charger and keep it with you with this phone. This is probably the most disappointing thing about this phone, especially compared to the Nokias my friends have.

2. Horrible voice-commanded calling. I have yet to get this to work on the first shot. I bought a family plan so my elderly mother could use this - just push a button and say "call..." so she could call without having to figure out how to use the phone. I'm sorry that's not going to happen with this phone.

3. Iffy speakers - if you make them loud, there is a lot of distortion, but if you put them on medium it's fine.

4. Mp3 disabled - this goes under the general Verizon greed issue, but if you go to Ron's review, you'll see how to enable it - and you'll get annoyed when you see right on the phone that the "mp3 disable" is checked off. I enabled mine, so far so good.

So, if all you need is great reception definitely get this phone. This phone has the best reception of any phone I've had. Judging by other reviews, this isn't the case across the board, but my particular phone gets good reception and has excellent voice clarity on both ends.

And, beware, you CANNOT port your number and still get the equipment discount with any service provider on Amazon. However, there is a plus side on the Verizon end. You don't have to get bogged down in a 2 year contract anymore with Amazon either! That was good for me because I wasn't sure about the reception issue. So, I just called and emailed everyone with my new number, which is actualy easier to memorize than the other one was. I wrote this in a review that wasn't published, so lets see if they let this one slip in to this one. If not I'm complaining, because customers should know this before deciding whether to buy.

So, overall I am happy with the general things about the phone, but LG needs to address the voice command and battery issues especialy with this model before it will get 5 stars from me. I can live with any other little annoyances.
19 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 19, 2016
I have about 4 of these 8300 over many years. I like it for a basic phone. Unfortunately the replacement I bought on Amazon *(first time) had problems. The zero key doesn't always work and this week the voice microphone went out so I can only use speaker. Furthermore Verizon doesn't not send OS updates to the phone so the new phone is several version behind my older phone. Very disappointing. Oh and I don't see a warranty on the phone,.
on November 11, 2006
So I'm pseudo-techno-geek. I love the tech, but ultimately give into the practicality. That said, I needed a new phone for work and the geek in me immediately was drawn to a myriad of phones that had good gadgets (mp3, camera/video playback, bluetooth, etc..). The more I looked, the more I had to prioritize my needs. I wanted a phone that had good clear connections and had MAN-BUTTONS!

Pros:

-Good sized, easy to use buttons
-Average call quality
-Average menu setup
-Includes 1.3 mp cam/video
-Ability to onboard video to the camera...but if this is important, go with a 240x320 display phone (like the Cingular 2125). Res is too low on this phone to be pleasing to the eye.
-Limited Bluetooth (can't move files)
-Can play music
-External speakers

Cons

-Need to do 'special code' to activate use of MP3's.
-Poor music file management and access.
-Can't use speaker phone while it's flipped close...ever.
-Video quality is poor.
-Limited Bluetooth (can't move files)

Over all I'm very happy with Amazon's excellent pricing and service in getting this phone to me. Verizon's service so far has been solid. The phone is just about everything I expected, but I'll probably upgrade in a year something jazzier.

[...]
6 people found this helpful
on May 4, 2013
So happy to find this phone! My old LG AX5000 finally died after 10 years of service. The VX8300 is a newer model, but is basically the same phone with a SIM card added. If the 8300 gives me the same service I will be ecstatic. All I want is a plain Jane, reliable phone. If you are looking for no bells, no whistles; just a simple phone, this is it. No wonder that a certain carrier stopped selling this style of phone, It's built solid as a tank and doesn't die after a year of use. They can't sell contracts with this kind of phone. (Unless you just want to have the latest technology).
on October 8, 2015
This is probably one of the best cell phones ever made. It fits in my pocket, can take a picture if needed, and can text. I do NOT live attached to my cell; so am relieved to have a replacement for my current phone which I have had for over a decade. This way if I lose my current hone or it finally gives up the ghost, I DON"T have to get a newer, "smarter" one.
on July 4, 2016
This phone is junk and the charger is dangerous. The phone itself may be a refurbished one. It would not hold a charge for an hour. In addition, the charger is dangerous. I bought this product for my elderly mother. When she unplugged the charger from the wall one of the prongs came out of the charger and was stuck in the electrical outlet. I am glad that she didn't try to pull it out and get shocked. I had to come over and remove it from the outlet with a pair of insulated pliers. It could have caused a fire. I have already thrown the box away that it came in but I will be contacting the seller to try and return it.
review image
6 people found this helpful
on March 7, 2018
It's a very nice phone for those who don't want a smart phone. I just use it for making calls and occasionally taking pictures. It suits my needs.
on August 6, 2016
Trusty phone for Verizon users , I keep a second in the glove compartment for emergency calls.
One person found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse