Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 29, 2014
Bottom line up front: the seller lied and rather than a new drive for your XBox360, you're paying for a used one which was poorly refurbed at some point. That's ok-ish because you don't need the circuit board anyway--you've done your homework and you're going to pull it out and replace with the one from your old failed drive...right? (Disregard my comments if you're doing a software flash and expect plug and play reliability. In that case, steer clear. Your drive might be OK, but my solder joints were bad.)

That said, I hate being lied to. Seller is intentionally misleading--this condition is no accident. Drive is sold as new with anti-tamper stickers on the case. It's specifically targeted at home Xbox repair, where buyers will open it up. Upon opening the case (making it non-returnable I'm sure), there's dust inside the drive. Worse, the PCB was apparently soldered by my 9-year old or a monkey on meth (not necessarily mutually exclusive). See photos of the globs of solder & burned wires.

Thankfully, I didn't need that ratty PCB anyway, though clean wires would have been nice. Mechanically, the drive seems to be sound and has worked for the past few hours as my kids play their games on DVD. However, I paid for new, not poorly refurbed. Again, I hate being lied to.
review image review image
on June 17, 2013
Don't buy a thing from this company! It didn't work And it was Used! It was either returned by someone else or a poor attempt to refurbish the Drive Replacement. It was advertised as New. I wouldn't trust this company to buy socks from. Buyer Beware.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 15, 2017
The dvd drive works great as a replacement. However, the card from the old drive must be put in the new one in order for it to play games, since each drive has a unique identifier chip. This eas done fairly easily watching youtube channels regarding the disassembly og the xbox 360 s console. One you open the metal casing of the drive itself, you can see the circuit board. Take all of the board and accompanying wires from the old drive and put them in the new one and it will work. No sodering required. Also, after you put everything back together, make sure to go to the console settings of the xbox 360 and check the box for hd resolution in order to allow more than one player to play. You tube videos explain this as well.
on March 28, 2014
With a little bit of work I managed to replace the drive and flash the memory on the DVD drive in order to trick the xbox. This is a lot cheaper than a new xbox although I would only recommend this for someone that is very experienced with electronics. I used tutorials to walk through the procedure but in the end it worked.

Note: I have not used this drive really hard for extended periods of time, I am a light gamer and only play a few hours a week.

My background: Computer Repair (hardware, software, diagnostics, etc)
on September 24, 2013
Turned my 360 from an online only machine to being able to play games again! remember that you will need a soldering iron and have to use your original motherboard from the old dvd drive or you will not be able to play games once you get everything back together.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2015
I'd maybe heed the reviews and find another vendor. It seems they are selling bad drives. Once you swap circuit boards you can forget returning it. The drive looked nice and new to me. It said it was a Lite-on but it didn't totally look like my original Lite-ON. The stickers were slightly different, but aside from that it was fine. Swapped my PCB board out but the drive itself will only open and close. The laser never comes on or moves. If there is no disc in the drive, once closed it reopens slightly before coming to a rest. The games won't even spin up, nor am I getting any error lights It's simply a dead drive and is a brick.

FWIW, I know how to solder and did an extremely clean job. This isn't user error, it's a bad drive and a waste. I wouldn't use this vendor as the other reviewers indicate the same types of problems. Seems hit or miss, and not worth the risk.
on May 8, 2013
First of all, it does work...but barely just. I installed it in place of my old dvd drive (which wouldn't recognize any disc put in) without any changes (to see if the firmware was already installed). It wasn't. No big deal, I just replaced the board from the new drive with the old drive's. A little soldering later, good to go. Hooked it up to a screen before fully reassembling the xbox shell and turned it on. Worked fine. Reassembled it, took it apart to add in something I forgot the first time, and then put it back together. That's when I became very sad. The drive made a lot of noise (kinda similar to morse code) and rejected 3 game discs as unreadable. Strangely, when I put in a 4th game disc (CoD:MW3), it read it and played fine (took a while and still made noise when it started, but played fine and quietly when it booted up. After that, I could play the other games. Now, each time I want to play I game, I have to 'prime' the drive with a game it'll read.

So it works, but it's inconvenient and frustrating.

Other things that cost this product a higher rating is the fact that it had broken plastic prongs that help it sit in the xbox and the warranty stickers were broken (i.e. not "new" as advertised). Can't say I was surprised by this, but I had hoped it would in fact be new.

UPDATE: Less than two weeks after receiving the new drive, the problem of not recognizing any discs returned. I will not deduct stars from this review at this time, because I am suspicious that it may be the circuit board (swapped from the old drive) at fault.
on February 1, 2016
I expected to install this Item with no issues and be able to play games after the install. Well, it did not turn out that way, The item worked but would not play the Games. I contacted the seller only to find out that the Drive has to be Flashed. Not sure how to do this nor did they explain, so I will have to figure it out. Otherwise, it worked after installing.

Up Date, I never did get this to work with the correctly with the XBox. I had a Repairman go over it and he was unable to make the two work together, leaving the XBox to never be able to play games again that are not built in.
on November 28, 2012
I was not expecting a brand new drive.
This drive had parts literally falling off it
as I opened the drive tray. To make matters worse
it was a 225 which is by default locked requiring
yet more parts. I am not even sure the laser is any
good on this. I bought this as a replacement drive
but it was complete junk.

Nothing to see here move along people....
on February 18, 2015
Doesn't work I ordered it from digital_family because they had good reviews and it said "Brand new". Soon as I hooked it up the try wouldn't even open took about 8 trys for it to open. It was perversely open because the screws was loose. They took the original board out and replaced it with a brown one that the whole back side of it was broke and I know it was replaced because of the obvious soldering was done to it.

With that being said it doesn't read brand new games or DVD. I gives me every error like my old one did before it stopped working completely.

Sounds like crap when it's trying to read the disc.

Scammed.