Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on June 16, 2014
Like any other textbook, the material is fluffed up with excessive amout of explanation than you will need. Then again, that's coming from someone who's been using linux as the main OS for over a decade. Probably having more information is usually better than having not enough information. Besides, the book isn't terribly thick either.

First five chapters cover the 101 portion of the exam. So you can concentrate on those materials for your first exam, then the rest of the book for your 102.

At first I thought, "alright, this book seems good." Then I found the additional study tools in Appendix B (page 554). This extra stuff has helped me study so much more efficiently. It's a package of study tools that you can download from the link listed on the book, and the practice exams in it is an awesome tool. Well, it helped me.
on January 14, 2015
If you are brand new to linux I would not start with this book. This is for passing the exam and just tells you how to pass the exam. If you want to understand linux and know linux I would choose a different book. WHat good is the linux + at your job if you don't understand why you are doing it. Buy the LPI essentials linux. You don't have to take the test but read the book and then go back to this book. Your understanding will be leaps and bounds better.
on October 2, 2013
The test has a ton of very specific questions, like there is no way to guess based on a general knowledge of linux and similar topics, read what is the command line modifier letter for this command you've never heard of. The book did not cover at least a few of the questions at all. I passed the test but barely. I'd recommend using multiple sources for your studies. This is probably more of an issue of open source and the LIPC's disorganization so, I don't really blame the author.
on June 22, 2013
Even if you're not studying for the LPIC this book is an excellent basic reference. It walks a perfect line between too much detail and not enough. If you sit down at your terminal and play with all of the ideas mentioned, you will not only learn a lot of really cool and useful things, but you will learn a lot about your Linux distribution versus others. I used Slackware and OpenSUSE, which really allowed me to compare and contrast things in the book. Between this book, Google, Slackbook and man pages, you will learn enough for the LPIC (and a little extra).
on April 21, 2013
This is a very good book. I thought the chapter on Networking was one the best, concise overviews of networking anywhere. This book gets to the point, gives detail and examples on Linux that anyone, new or not-so-new to Linux are looking for. It is like a documentation site one would read on a vendor web site, but with explanation and organization. I will buy other books from this author. I passed my LPIC 101 test and expect to soon pass my 102 test.
on October 27, 2010
I thought this book would be a quick read, LOL my mistake! I'm happy about it though, it covers TONS of stuff. I've only been using a Linux OS for a few months, my primary use is on web servers (SSH). So I figured I better start getting smart and study this over the course of a year, possibly a bit more, and perhaps I'll be able to pass an exam eventually :P Lot of stuff, Lot of stuff, good purchase.

My only complaint is that the page paper pages feel cheap, kind of absorable and easy to tear, almost newspaper-ish, and a dull grayish color. So highlighting things will be scary, it might go through a few pages, I hope not!
on November 6, 2012
Test was much harder than the review questions in the book. Having a background in C programming helps a bunch
on October 25, 2013
I bought the book to expand my knowledge in linux, in conclusion I can say that is an excellent textbook. With reference to the objectives of the book, the text alone is not sufficient for the certification exam, it is a basic text. The study of the book must be completed with other advanced level books.
on March 12, 2014
Pros:
Excellent exam preparation
Tons of review questions
Goes over all of the objectives

Cons:
Quite a few spelling errors
The practice exams are all multiple choice, where as the exam also has fill in the blanks

Overall highly recommended. I was able to pass both exams after having only studied this.
on May 12, 2014
This book provides plenty of information (just in case you need a refresher). Also, it is well structured, it takes you from command line, learn how to partition your hard drive the right way, and finally installation, configuration and troubleshooting.

This is a must!