Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on April 2, 2013
This is sort of an encyclopedia of Italian local cooking….very useful to consult for ideas and traditional recipes. The stated purpose is to record local traditional recipes, regardless of how they might translate into modern or American tastes or practices. The recipe instructions are cursory, as is the practice in Italian cookbooks, so this book is probably more appropriate for experienced cooks. There are no photos or illustrations. It is very comprehensive and has many recipes from regions less familiar to USA cooks, such as Le Marche or Basilicata. Ingredients which are traditional are specified, even when they are unusual or unavailable in the US.
Recommended highly as a supplement to a library of Italian cookbooks.
At 928 pages, including a very decent index (organized by Region and by major ingredient, separately), this is a veritable 'tome.' It is sponsored by 'The Italian Academy of Cuisine' and it is published by Rizzoli, a fine Italian publisher. This does not rate as one of their high-end efforts however, since their work is usually 'coffee-table' lovely and dripping with photographs whereas this has the same type of cover and binding as an Italian dictionary intended for years of repeated reference.

The recipes are culled from extensive research and interview efforts at the level of local sources. For most readers, the recipes preserve traditions and, even, curiosities of regional Italian cuisine. This is not the place to look for the 'best' modern interpretation of much-loved Italian food. I am not Italian but I do cook and I have spent a good many weeks in restaurants in Italy. I can report that one of my favourite restaurants in Venice offers 'Steak in the Florentine Manner' by finishing with fresh lemon juice and olive oil and freshly cracked peppercorns--a practice this book says is not authentic. You will note that Venice is not Florence: I've had the dish there as well but it was not finished where I could see how it was done.

The Table of Contents is organized into: Antipasti, Pizza and Sauces; Soups; Pasta, Polenta and Rice; Fish; Meat and Poultry; Vegetables; Cheese Dishes and Desserts. A conversion chart is provided for measures. I wanted to treasure this book...but I admit that most readers will be much better pleased with the work of Marcella Hazan or many another contemporary Italian cookbook author. I would grab Mario Battali's books way before I purchased this one (and I did.)

This is a book for travellers who intend to get off the beaten tourist path in Italy and who want to spot some authentic dishes (and their names in Italian and in English) ahead of such a visit. This is a book that might serve Americans of Italian descent whose grandmothers reminisced about local and countryside cuisine. It is also a book whose recipes are selected from 'lesser' cuts than we enjoy in America today: this is 'nose to tail' cooking, in many places and it is rustic cooking in other places.

I'm putting my copy on the shelf and coming back to it after a while. There are some things I have highlighted that I want to make but for most of its pages...I am not so sure.
on December 12, 2016
This is an excellent book. If you know how to cook Italian this is the book for you. Some of the ingredients that can't be found in the states can be substituted. However this book is not for a beginning cook. It is true there are no pictures, but if you know your food you are ok. Can't wait to start cooking. This along with the Silver Spoon are a must for serious cooks who want to cook regional Italian.
on May 15, 2016
Have not made any of the recipes yet but am impressed with the book. Recipes seem to be clearly written and easy to follow. Impressive compilation of recipes, many of which have several regional variations.

I am planning to spend a lot of time with this one! Very pleased with this book.
on November 18, 2015
I had forgotten we had an earlier edition on our shelf when I was a kid. I LOVE this book, the philosophy behind it and the heart in it. I am half-Italian and have loved Italian dishes my whole life. It is thick, sturdy and should last us generations...... . Unless gravy gets all over it :), which I hope!
on December 25, 2015
Makes me want to learn to speak Italian. LOVE this book, I have tried several Biscotti recipes, they were all great, I also made a few of the pasta dishes. All recipes are easy to understand and the directions are easy to follow.
on July 6, 2016
Well worth the money and the wait! A must have, along with the Talisman for proper and authentic Italian cooking! Thank you!
on January 15, 2015
The husband unit has been desiring this book for a very long while, so I finally put down the cash and got it for him for Christmas. I won Christmas, let me tell you. Hands down. He loves it, and keeps it right next to his Julia Child books.
on July 27, 2014
This might just be the last cookbook I ever buy. My wife laughs at me because I sit and read it all week picking out things for the weekend. It's truly changed my cooking and reawakened my Italian heritage.
on March 24, 2014
I bought this book for my son and I couldn't resist going through the book before I hand it over to him. My mouth started watering just reading a few of these magnificent recipes, they appeared uncomplicated, easy to follow directions and easy to buy ingredients for most of the recipes. You can see that a tremendous amount of work went into this cookbook, what a treat to have at your fingertips recipes that have been handed down from one generation to another. In the preface it says that the collected 2,000 recipes started being gathered in 1953 with the help of it's 7,600 members, this isn't just a cookbook but it is a way to keep treasured family recipes from being lost and enabling future generations to enjoy what family members enjoyed before them. I will be ordering a copy for myself and one for each of my grown children. It is a cookbook that shouldn't be missed if you enjoy Italian food.