- Brand Name: LaCie
- Model Number: 131084
- Memory Storage Capacity: 64.0 GB
- Hardware Platform: PC, Mac
LaCie XtremKey 64 GB All-Terrain USB 2.0 Flash Drive 131084
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Full metal casing-2mm thickness
- Heat, cold, water, pressure and dropresistant (when product is closed).
- Outstanding write and read performance
- Wear-resistant braided metal cable ring
- Transfer speeds and cross-platform convenience to all PC and Mac users
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
From the Manufacturer
For users who need an industrial-strength flash drive that can withstand all sorts of abuse, LaCie created the XtremKey All-Terrain USB Flash Drive. This 64 GB flash drive is fashioned out of an alloy shell that is heat-, cold-, water-, pressure-, and drop-resistant. The USB 2.0 drive offers instant cross-platform compatibility and is small enough to easily fit in your pocket.
Virtually Indestructible Construction Can Go Anywhere
The XtremKey is made of zamac, an alloy composed of zinc, aluminum, magnesium, and copper that is so strong, it can withstand the pressure of a 10-ton truck. With the memory chips inside a 2-mm-thick casing and sealed with water-resistant screw threads and a rubber O-ring, the XtremKey is watertight up to 100 meters, resistant to 5-meter drops, and can hold up in environments from -50 to 200-degrees Celsius.
Smart, Attractive Design by Constance Guisset
Designed by award-winning designer Constance Guisset, the XtremKey is an attractive device that combines rugged go-anywhere durability with a delicate, stylish aesthetic. Measuring 2.9 x 0.9 inches (H x D), the XtremKey easily fits in your pocket and comes with a built-in, water-resistant, braided-metal cable ring. The XtremKey even shows some playfulness as its uniquely balanced design wobbles on your desk.
USB 2.0 Interface for Speed and Compatibility
The XtremKey uses the USB 2.0 interface for instant compatibility and great transfer speeds. The XtremKey works with both PCs and Macs and offers writing speeds up to 30 MB/s and reading speeds up to 40 MB/s, so you won't have to sacrifice performance for the durable construction.
The LaCie XtremKey 64 GB All-Terrain USB 2.0 Flash Drive is backed by a two-year warranty.
Established in France in 1989, LaCie is a leading manufacturer of computer peripherals for Windows, Apple and Linux users. With offices and plants in the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, Europe, Singapore and Hong Kong, LaCie develops and manufactures external storage solutions and color monitors that help professionals and everyday people easily manage their digital lives. LaCie has differentiated its products through original designs and leading-edge technology.
What's in the Box
XtremKey flash drive with Cable Ring.
Top Customer Reviews
After approximately one month, the wire keychain started to fray. I first noticed this when I put my hand in my pocket and one of the frayed wires stabbed my finger. I had read a review where someone had a similar experience, but I didn't buy it for the wire keychain and took that chance when I ordered it. I removed the wire and just kept it loose in my pocket from that point on.
I had no problems with the functionality of the drive until approximately two months ago (about 7 months old). I got an error when I plugged the drive in to any computer and had to format it to get it to work again, losing everything on the drive. Luckily I had my files backed up. Then, a few weeks later, I opened the XtremKey to use it (as normal) and the part that houses the actual USB drive literally fell apart in three pieces in my hand. I have never thrown it, dropped it, stepped on it, or driven over it with a truck. This drive literally goes from my pocket to my desk or into a computer. So today I find myself with a container of gorilla glue trying to secure it all back together and decided I should share this experience. Now, I realize I have not contacted Lacie and given them the opportunity to make it right, but should I have to? This review is just a review for the product itself. Lacie may very well have outstanding customer service.
I would not recommend this product based on the experience I have had with it.
1) There is no LED indicator of any sort on the flash drive itself. You will be fully reliant on whatever the OS reports to you. Maybe I'm old school but I like having an LED indicator on the drive as I feel the OS isn't always accurate.
2) The base of the flash drive is very narrow and being that the entire drive is smooth, it is somewhat difficult to unscrew the flash drive from the housing. There is not much more than 1/4" of base to grip to separate the flash from the shell.
3) This flash drive runs warm. I thought this was surprising as I've never noticed any of my other flash drives being warm when plugged in. Perhaps this is simply a side effect of its size and the all metal housing.
Other than that, this flash drive is very sturdy when in its housing and has a very sharp look to it. EDITED TO ADD: It wasn't obvious to me so I thought I'd mention: The key chain loop unscrews at one end.
So here's the low down:
It's built just like its advertised.
Good transfer speeds.
The hole at the top needs to go through the entire top, not just the corner (minor point).
The end that unscrews is only about 1/8 of an inch and is smooth. It needed to be textured for better grip when opening.
If you do buy it, I recomend taking off the O-ring and applying a bit of grease or vaseline to it. (makes it easier to open)
I don't know about setting it on fire, throwing across a room, or running over it with a truck; but if you want a flash drive that can go through the washer AND the dryer, this is it.
So should you buy it? Yes.
1. It reads really fast. 25-30MBps across all platforms. I am mainly a windows user; I manage a cluster of linux at school; and I occassionally do some maintainous on my wife's Mac. Some drives are faster than this when using NTFS partition, but NTFS is read only on most macs and linux. EX-FAT partition is a real mobile partition.
2. It writes fine, slightly under 15MBps.
3. It's very sturdy, and it's very very bulky. 2mm shell makes it thick, I would compromised to 1mm shell and get it smaller.
4. The drive can be detached from shell, which connects to my key chain. This reduce the load of the USB port on my machine since the drive is plugged in only itself. Good design.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Lives up to what it says - the only negative? The small metal tie "keychain" used to attach the thumb drive unscrews easily. But it's not required for use.Published 16 months ago by Candace Cook
I could run this over in a truck and it would be fine. But use it normally? It failed after 3 months and lost my data. No file recovery tools could even scan the drive. Read morePublished 24 months ago by Jared Fine
I'm a big fan of LaCie and have had great drives over the years. They are generally good drives, with latest speeds and tech and they are stylish. Read morePublished on April 17, 2014 by Jorge Castellanos
But they don't promise you can actually open it. And that, it only sometimes does willingly.
This thing is hardy. That's for sure. Read more
bought this device so I could drop it every so often but never did, still one day recently it just stopped altogether ? Read morePublished on November 29, 2013 by Breck E. Gabler
Elegant, heavy duty, and a truly essential workaday and travel companion. It's small enough to take around town or to the woods, but not so small as to be forgotten from place to... Read morePublished on April 2, 2013 by DHD
Such a great durable flash drive. It does everything it said it would do. Such a great little flash drivePublished on March 3, 2013 by Dino Man
Amazing really cool product should take it and the polish is real solid the packing is good and the delivery was real quick I won't find a better flash drive than thisPublished on February 20, 2013 by Yousef A. Almutawa
I love this little Thumb drive, It is sleek, small and definitely the most durable thumb drive I have ever owned. LaCie is known for quality.Published on February 15, 2013 by Joe