Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lacis Bead Loom Hardwood Purse Bead Loom, 11-Inch
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on January 31, 2015
Just started learning loom bead work and this loom is a step up from the first type I bought (where the warps are wound around pegs at each end go thru a spring spacer). Larger projects can be done and just about any size or shape of bead can be used since the warps are wound around a "starter set" of beads that attach to the frame and then remove when work is started. The tension of the warps is easy to adjust. Being careful and patient while setting up the warps is very important and getting the first couple of rows of beads on can be time-consuming but after that the work seems to go way faster than on the other style loom.

If you are working on a very long item (belt or strap) the warps can be rotated around the edges of the frame so that beading can be done onto the entire warp. One note of caution: plan ahead to do several small items using the same number of warp threads so none of the thread is wasted. That might not be an issue if your thread is cheap but some threading material is more expensive and a shame to waste.

This is only the second type of loom I have tried. There is a technique using paper clips or hooks for weaving items that results in "no warp loops" at the ends. I have two metal bars with small holes drilled in each end and soon I will attach these to this loom (will drill small holes in frame so bar can be held by nails and removed when not used) so that I can try this "paper clip" technique soon. The wood of this loom is very sturdy and should hold up to the experiment. If it works, this loom may become even more versatile than it is now.
on December 25, 2013
At first, when I saw this wooden frame I thought this is it? Read directions and realized it is genius! Completely customizable for project size, tension, and bead size!
on January 19, 2015
This loom is very, very sturdy, and very, very well-thought-out. It's based on Indian looms (open or box looms) that have been found in the U.S. (particularly in the southern part of the country), but it's even more flexible, because you can adjust the tension at any time. At first, I was baffled as to how this would work, but then I found a YouTube video (just keyword "Lacis bead loom", or even "Lacis"- you'll find it!) ordering, and now I totally get it! The parts go together easily, and the inner screw-ins on the outer knobs are lined with machined metal, so they won't wear out anytime soon. It's also larger than I thought it would be- assembled, it's 20" x 14" outer dimensions (20x16, counting the knobs), and the wood frame is thicker and heavier than expected. It's also rather pretty- mine has some knots in the wood, but any weak spots have been filled in with what appears to be epoxy, and well-sanded to a smooth finish, so it's got character, but is still strong. It's such a pleasant surprise, to have gotten such a lovely loom at such a great price! I'm thinking about making permanent spacer strings for this, with something permanent (like Beadalon or SoftFlex & crimps) with all of the different sizes of seed beads- the holes for running the string through appear to be wide enough to accomodate finished crimps. The video shows how to hook your spacing string up using paperclip hooks, rather than tying the string to the elastic. Also, I'm thinking that finishing a project (tying off) will have to be done as described by Shoopy McMeerah (look for him on YouTube, too- just copy & paste the name, and you'll find his stuff)- the booklet that came with this doesn't really get into that, but it doesn't seem like it'll be all that hard to do. I'm very happy with this loom, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to try looming, but I would also strongly recommend that you watch the YouTube videos, both the Lacis instructional one, and Shoopy McMeerah's videos on open / box looms- it'll make it much, much easier to understand how this works. Overall, this was a score, and I'd recommend it. :)

UPDATE: In the video made by the Lacis folks, they demonstrate winding the loom using a small-diameter wooden dowel. I would recommend, instead, getting a 1/4" non-threaded metal rod/dowel, instead! Picked up a zinc rod at a local hardware store for two bucks, and it works much, much better than the wood- less friction, and the metal doesn't bend and bow like the wood did. Still really, really pleased with this loom. And very pleased NOT to have had to buy a floor stand to make winding easier! :)
on December 15, 2012
Easy to assemble, and once it is assemble you are ready to start weaving. Anyone can use this loom and achieve whatever they are weaving on this frame. Their beaded product art will be beautiful.
on January 28, 2015
I ordered this so that I could make a wider selection of beaded bands and purses. The reviews were good and several people commented on the high quality of the construction, so I decided on this model. It was a great choice.

This loom-

-is made of hardwood that has been carefully finished so as not to snag thread.
-was extremely easy to put together.
-is easy to thread and use.
-comes with very good, easy to use directions.
-is actually lighter than I expected.

Overall, this is a great product that I expect will last me for the rest of my life. There is also a floor stand available from the manufacturer if that is how you prefer to work. I wish all products were made this well.
on September 10, 2013
Great quality and great price! This is a heavy hardwood frame! Am so excited to start beading again! It is a little hard to figure out the way to use it since I haven't beaded since I was a child. Now I am a great grandmother!
1212 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2014
Easy to assemble just took a minute to figure out how the rubber band was to be used, but I kept playing with it until it looked like the picture. For me being visual, the trick to the instructions was read and re-read until I got the idea on how to set it up for beading. Since then, I have been slowly working my project using the two needle method and I like it. It might end up a little abstract for my first (LOL) but I can see it taking shape! Love the size, but the instructions could use a little more detail in the pictures!!!
on September 15, 2014
Nice and sturdy. However, for those of you who are used to a bead loom with grooves for the warp threads, it will take a little adjusting to get the hang of it. This relies on using beads as warp thread separators. The holes on the end pieces are not drilled straight through but at an angle. At first I thought there was something wrong but then realized that it was meant to be that way. The holes are large enough that I was able to put a twist tie through and use that to hold the dowel when not in use.
on March 3, 2014
I'm new to bead looming and this loom has worked well for creating large beaded pieces. It's well made and easy to use.
on July 7, 2014
THANK YOU,THIS IS MADE FOR MULTI USE AND CAN NOT WAIT TO FINISH SOME PROJECTS.