Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ladder to the Moon
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 16, 2011
This is such a beautiful story, one that can bind generations together. I bought two,one for each great nephew in memory of their great grandmother. The art work and concepts are just outstanding.
on April 16, 2011
What an honor to be the first to review this book written by the half-sister of President Barack Obama, Maya Soetoro-Ng, and illustrated by Yuyi Morales. The idea for the book was inspired by a George O'Keeffe painting titled "Ladder to the Moon," the ladder being the symbol of life's wonderous journey.
The story itself is about Grandma Annie and her granddaughter. But the granddaughter has never met her grandmother any more than the author's daughter ever met hers. Grandma Annie died before the birth as did the author's (the President's) mother. So it is a story about Grandma Annie's taking her little granddaughter on a trip that requires the use of the ladder to the moon. I will not say more because it is the author's voice and the illustrator's vision that you, the potential reader, will certainly find enriching.
You cannot go wrong with this book.
on April 19, 2011
An incredible wordsmith, Maya is a natural storyteller whose use of words is like magic. She is her mother's daughter. Losing a Mother too early is a keenly felt loss for any woman and for their grandchildren-be they granddaughters ....or grandsons. There is something special in being, seeing and experiencing the human continuum of personal strengths and resiliencies across generations. This lushly written and illustrated book captures her mother's legacy beautifully for her daughter Suhaila; a reminder that those who have come before are central to whom we are today. Brava!! Blessman- April, 2011
on June 15, 2011
I was taken by the illustrations as much as the story. I find them very beautiful and appealing to both children and adults. The story is imaginative, with a nice 'lesson' to it. And, I look forward to reading it to my granddaughter when she's about 2-3.
on September 11, 2012
I found this book to be very heartwarming. I even got emotional reading it. The author points out that we are not alone. We all share the same problems and hopes no matter what our religion is. We all need to work together to make the world a better place.
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2011
One night a ladder comes down from the moon, Suhaila gets to meet her grandmother Annie. They go up together and have an adventure. From a top the moon grandmother and granddaughter watch the world and help when they can. This is a beautiful story about two generations meeting and people coming together.

"Looking past the golden ladder, she spotted people whose hands pointed upward from a synagogue, a temple, a mosque, and a steepled church. One by one, every person was finding his or her own path to the moon each path connecting with the others in hope's massive stream. "

This is simply gorgeous on all levels. I love magical feel and the lyrical flow of the text. The message of unity is naturally intertwined. Morales illus. are some serious WOW filled with warmth. They made me smile and believe in a better world. My favorite spread changed each time I turned the page. Soetoro-NG and Morales styles blended very well together. A 2011 favorite.
on June 2, 2014
I knew Maya as a graduate student in Hawai'i before she had children and was a celebrity as Barack Obama's sister. She is a brilliant woman- sensitive, very culturally aware. I really hope that she writes more books.
on July 13, 2013
I was searching for another book when this book popped up, so I read the few free pages and wanted to read more. I did not pay attention to the author's name before I decided to buy the book. After I read the reviews and discovered it was my beloved president sister who wrote the book, I was thrilled.
The story is a wonderful way to explain death of a loved one, I love that she included all people from all walks of life. I visit Hawaii each year and hope I run into her one day! Her mother and grand parents sound like wonderful people, I wish they were my neighbors! I pray that God continue to bless their family and I know all her children will be wonderful Adults, its in their blood. God Bless
Love and Peace Shirley
(PS the pictures are breathtaking)!)
on March 28, 2014
Just one more book to my humble collection of wonderful Yuyi Morales! The book arrived in very good condition and the inside is beautiful as well - I mean stylish and atmospheric artworks by Yuyi. And it's always touching to see and read about family love :) Thanks for your big heart, Yuyi!
on March 20, 2013
It's important to remember that when the phrase "Reaching for the Moon" was originally coined, it was intended to be applied to the implausible aspirations of fanciful dreamers. However, if the historic lunar landing of 1969 taught the world anything, it was the priceless lesson that even a destination as seemingly unattainable as the Moon was actually within our grasp all along. So, why not dream big?

This was the essence of the message Maya and her big brother, Barack, were raised with by their mom over the course of their childhood. Consequently, both of these trailblazers overcame the odds en route to enjoying phenomenal success in their chosen fields of endeavor.

Overall, a remarkably-rich, instant classic likely to strike an emotional chord deep within the souls of kids from 2 to 92.

Read the full review and more book reviews from AALBC.com on your Kindle Edition