Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 221 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 296 reviews
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2016
She's a namedropper like you wouldn't believe. Every page is a list of people she has encountered, but you have to give it to her, she knew how to be the perfect and enduring wife to someone who lives in the spotlight. The first wife Nancy was too plain. Ava needed a spotlight of her own, and Mia committed the unforgivable sin of putting herself first in choosing what movie to do next. Barbara learned from all of them, and from her three husbands leading up to Sinatra. She learned to be strong and steady with the weak husbands, and she learned to cater to an older man and be the dutiful Palm Springs wife with the third husband. She learned tennis and golf and how to plan a party. So when it came time to trade up to the ultimate prize, she was fully prepared. She was never plain and simple. She never needed the spotlight for herself unless her husband was also in it. She traveled everywhere with him as often as possible so she is always there for him, unlike Mia. She may have annoyed his children, but she knew how to play the ultimate role of Hollywood wife. You fold your life into his and be what he needs. Simple as that.
on February 14, 2016
I like to read all sides of a story, so I read an outsider's book about Frank, his children's book about him, and his last wife's book -- This book was very interesting to a point, but I felt it was very self-serving and got the distinct feeling that Barbara Sinatra did all she could to drive a wedge between her husband and his children. She writes a book about her husband and barely mentions his children. I really don't like that in any person. If you marry a man or woman with children, you marry those children, too, and every effort should be made to make certain they are in their parent's life, not try to keep them out of it.
on April 7, 2016
I was snowed by her for a while...then it just got more and more ridiculous. I love memoirs and I must admit I enjoyed reading it, but I don't believe her for one minute. Where is her humanity? Yes, she wrangles in wealthy people to support her noble causes, and the chapter on her beloved one is the longest chapter in the book, all about who donated the most money to her namesake charity. She had to be convinced to help abused children by her friend, because she didn't have anyone in her life that was abused to relate to.
What was missing was any mention of his children or grandchildren...she wrote them out of his life in this book as I imagined she tried to do in real life. I followed this book up with Tina Sinatra's book, and saw her from the eyes of her children for who she really is. I feel cheated that I wasted my time and my money on a book full of lies by Barbara Sinatra. She fabricated a love story out of a complicated union.
on March 31, 2017
Lady? You must be kidding me! This uneducated, vulgar, vapid, ex-Vegas _____ (fill in the blank) has written the Gold Digger's manual on how to entrap a wealthy celebrity and take him for all he's worth. Imagine being married to one of the 20th Century's foremost musical artist and having not one interesting, insightful thing to say about the man! Much less his art! Instead she brags about how she entrapped him into marriage (all the while cheating on her husband Zeppo Marx - just practice for the bigger fish) and then emotionally manipulating a vulnerable, lonely, insecure Sinatra into placating her voracious greed and wrath with jewels, homes and yes even cash! - Finally toward the end of his life and through lawyers, separating him from his entire life's worth and legacy. Whew! No wonder Nancy Reagan (according to Kitty Kelly) sat her in Siberia at White House events. She knew that's where this cheap ex-Vegas operator belonged. Lady? Only insecure Sinatra could have been bamboozled into believing she was anything more than the cheap hustler that she was.
on November 11, 2011
If you want to waste your money on a book that tells you absolutely nothing new nor of any interest about Frank Sinatra then this is your book. If, however, you want to hear about all the famous people Barbara Sinatra met, only through her association with him, on every single page, or how much influence she had over him, how much he loved her more than anybody else and how fabulous she thinks she is, then go at it. Take special notice that she wants a Rolls Royce for her birthday and a close friend chose a charitable gift for theirs. It told me everything about this weightless human being.

The only thing I can hope is that Frank wasn't as shallow and without substance as this vapid woman is and would have, if he had been younger when he met her, have had his fun and moved on. Ava may have been a lot of self-destructive things, but she at least had a personality unlike no other. Not only that, but it's the last thing on earth that Frank would've wanted - to have anyone be BORED, which I was. What a disappointing book from a disappointing woman. Wasteful, really, when you think of the massive opportunity she had to be interesting. Pearls before swine, I suppose.
on September 7, 2015
Self-serving rewritten history of her life and times. Would like to read critiques/reviews/responses by Frank Sinatra's friends, kids and previous wives.

Despite being on the outskirts of show business, she insists her introduction to "the boys" didn't occur until, once married, the mob wanted to meet Mrs Frank Sinatra.

Interesting view of Frank Sinatra's less charming quirks and warts. His temper tantrums were "exciting."

So telling that she wrote "Frank wanted me to go out..keep up with our friends." so she was out to dinner with friends when the housekeeper had to call for an ambulance to rush Frank to the hospital for the last time.
on July 25, 2012
The life of Frank Sinatra is a Shakespearean drama of a man born into devastating poverty, scarred at birth by forceps. It's about a skinny boy who was short and awkward who possessed a voice so wonderful and an ambition so overpowering that he sang, and clawed, his way to the top of the heap and stayed there for 50 years. Barbara Sinatra's life is the story of a woman who grew up in the Midwest, moved to Los Angeles, became a failed model, then became a Vegas showgirl, and discovered the way to wealth was to marry rich men -- to marry up. The first 2/3 of the book is so bad I had to will myself through it. The author details how she abandoned her son and jumped from relationship to relationship, cheating on her current spouse with the excuse that "I felt that relationship was going nowhere." She finally bags the prize -- Frank Sinatra. I almost stopped reading the book, but the final 1/3 of the book somewhat redeems the work. There are new inside details of the decline and deaths of Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin and, finally, Frank himself. The depiction of Frank's death in an emergency room, where the author is begging Frank to fight to live, and Sinatra's final words... "I...can't..." is very moving. Barbara Sinatra's book comes off as a vanity project, and had she engaged in some introspection the work might have been excellent. It's sanitized, ignores many dark and dramatic aspects of her husband's life, and we end up with an incomplete work. I just read When The Legend Became Fact - The True Life of John Wayne and it was far better than this book.
on May 27, 2015
boy was she manipulative. I think they were happy in the beginning but then they got married. Barbara clearly states she would never leave (divorce) Frank-ever. And she didn't. But for another take on Lady Blue Eyes, I strongly recommend Tina SInatra's My Father's Daughter.
on July 25, 2011
I love this type of "dish-the-dirt" book. Neither I nor anyone I know will ever live this kind of life, but I find it fascinating. This certainly is a name-dropping, party-going, jewelry-buying extravaganza. I found it really interesting, and a perfect summer read.

Now, as to Barbara... At times, I found her lack of self-awareness totally hysterical. She goes back to her hometown and revels in how far she's come, as if she actually did anything but "marry up". Well, I guess that's an accomplishment of sorts. "Gold-digger"? I suppose. That isn't always an easy lifestyle though, especially with someone like the volatile Sinatra. We all make choices in life. Barbara made hers.

When I first heard about this book, I was sure Barbara would give Hell to Tina and Nancy Sinatra, for all they've said about her. They aren't mentioned. It looks like she wants to get her side out there, and on the record, before she joins Frank. This she has done. And let's face it, she married Frank when he was 60. He wasn't dumb. He knew what she was, but at that stage of the game, she gave him the companionship and stability he was looking for. Her timing was impeccable. The animosity between the Sinatra girls and Barbara may also have to do with some deeper issues, like the daughters' reverence of their mother, Nancy Sr. and, let's be honest here, money. Their slice of the pie was smaller, thanks to the piece Frank cut for Barbara. Think that doesn't play into it? Puh-leeze!

All in all, I enjoyed this book. Take it for what it is: Lady Blue Eyes telling her story "her way".
on May 24, 2015
It's apparent that Barbara Sinatra loved her husband intensely and was captivated by his many charms. Her ghost writer did a fine job keeping the anecdotes concise and not too wordy.

At times, Barbara, no doubt, sugar-coated Sinatra's more beastly side, his dark moods and abusive, profane commentary. He had to be a devil to live with, and it took a tolerant woman who could subordinate her pride to his moody selfishness.

I was unaware how generous Sinatra could be, not just to loyal friends, but to perfect strangers as well.

I believe that Barbara, while no angel herself, has earned a place in heaven.