Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Lady & Sons Just Desserts: More than 120 Sweet Temptations from Savannah's Favorite Restaurant Spiral-bound – May 7, 2002
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Among its wide-ranging recipes, Desserts offers Carolyn's Jell-O Cheesecake, Lauren's Chocolate Drizzle Pie, and Hidden Mint Cookies--recipes based on cake mixes and other convenience foods. These creditable sweets are of course work saving, but are perhaps better viewed as solidly characteristic of their time and place. Equally particular are candies like Mamma's Divinity and Uncle Bubba's Benne Candy, and "other sweet things," as Deen dubs them, such as Banana Split Brownie Pizza, Easy Homemade Oreo Ice Cream, and Fresh Apples with Butterscotch Dip. With asides by Deen family members, including son Jamie's "Food Is Love" ("I am right this minute 20 pounds over-loved," he writes), useful tips (Deen provides an "emergency" recipe for sweetened condensed milk), and plenty of piquant anecdote (after Deen had rattled on endlessly to her grandmother about her intention to open a restaurant, the older woman paused and replied, "Paula, have you lost you damned mind?"), the spiral-bound book is not only full of delectable eating, it's lots of fun. --Arthur Boehm
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
1. First off, there are sections full of family stories. If you like cookbooks which contain slices of the cook's life and you already are intrigued by Paula and her sons (aren't they handsome?!), then you'll get more info in this book. She doesn't explain how her sons manage to eat such rich desserts and stay thin and handsome but perhaps they'll come out with another book about that.
2. The recipes are excellent, from Gooey Butter Cake to Banana Cream Pie. Yes, they ARE rich and very sweet, so if you're dieting or watching your carbs, this isn't for you.
3. Finally, to really get a feel for the book, use Amazon's "Search Inside the Book" Function. Read some of the anecdotes, look at the Index. It provides valuable info about this book. Use it.
As one would expect from a recipe book from this Savannah epicurian restaurant, the book contains many elaborate recipes for delectable confections. The pleasant surprise is that it also contains a wealth of simple desserts, many from just the ingredients typically found on the pantry shelf. What dessert cook is not always looking for special, easy-to-prepare dishes to delight the sweet palette.
Paula Deen does a great job of taking restaurant quantity recipes and cutting them down for home use. In fact, the quantities tend to be small, so feel inclined to double the batch size, because whatever is prepared from this book won't last long.
The book contains:
* Introduction and Family Story
* Hints & Tips (very good info for even the seasoned chef)
* Cookies & Bars
* Puddings & Custards
* More Sweet Things
* Metric Converter
* Good Index (very important, and annoying when missing from a book)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
There were pages missing, some pages were duplicated , and pages were out of order. I was very disappointed.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
A great dessert book, especially the peach cobbler! Simple to follow recipes that are made up of readily available ingedients. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND!Published 6 months ago by Karen Blevins
I had to give a review on this book too for my literary club. Real insight into Paula's life. She went through some difficult times, but came out on top in her field. Read morePublished 13 months ago by Michelle S. Hagins
I love Paula Deen! Every recipe I have tried so far is wonderful!Published 13 months ago by Beverly P Nelson