Customer Reviews: Lalaloopsy Sew Magical Mermaid Doll, Sand E Starfish
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on July 14, 2013
The doll is beautiful but collects so much water and is difficult to drain. Now I'm worried it will collect mold inside the head and my daughter will not be able to use it. The hair color doesn't change unless the water is ice cold...what child plays in ice cold water?! My daughter was disappointed because she had been saving for this doll for quite a while. I gave her a freeze pop and she got creative and used it to make designs on the dolls hair. It kept her busy for a little while. Finally she stuck the doll in the freezer and that did the trick. All this right out of the package-way too much trouble!
on June 25, 2013
Our daughter LOVES her Sand E Starfish! UNFORTUNATELY it is VERY difficult to get all the water out of the doll's head. There is a tiny hole at the base of her head and we have to squeeze the doll's head over and over, shake her, tip her all around and it still leaks water for days after being in the bath. Our obvious concern is mold and mildew. She has had the doll for several months and does not have and odor YET but it takes quite a bit of work to get the water out. Today, I drilled a couple more drain holes in the back of Sand E's head - hoping that will make water drainage better. Another issue we have is that the doll's mermaid suit ties so our daughter needs help in dressing her rather than being able to play independently which frustrates her. Why not velcro? Lalaloopsy dolls are very cute and our daughter adores them, but the manufacturer seems to be more concerned with getting new products out quickly rather than focusing on designing good quality products. This is a water toy marketed to very young girls - it seems like water drainage and ease of dressing the doll would be top concerns with design.
on November 23, 2015
We have had this doll for some time now. She is a favorite of my daughter's in the pool, the tub, for dress up, etc.
In the beginning we had the same issue as others with the head holding water. Annoying! BUT, that was SOLVED by drilling (yep, we drilled) 2 holes in her head in the back just above the neck area. It worked immediately and has not been an issue since. The water never sits in her head at all and she smells good and yes, looks great. The holes are about half the size of a pencil eraser.
It would have been a shame to have this doll just sit around because its head held water. Now she goes in and out of the pool with no messes or any other problems.
on October 9, 2015
Cute toy! Her hair changes color according to the water temperature. We have used her in the bath. It seems that so many bath toys have holes where you can squeeze out excess water, as this one does (I can never seem to get all the water out so she has left puddles in places). It tends to just create gunk inside the toy over time. We don't put the toy in the water very often so the gunk thing isn't a problem yet. If you don't submerse her head she is great!
on January 3, 2015
Nice doll. My daughter loves it! Few minor complaints - when the hair changes color, it almost immediately fades back to its original. I wish the head didn't accumulate water, as it will likely lead to mold. And the strings for tying the clothes on are fine and short, and they tangle easily.
on June 7, 2013
My daughter had saved up some money and really wanted this doll. Our first stop was Walmart, they had it on clearance. Went back to get it the next day, gone. She was so upset! So my next thought was Amazon, and lo and behold, there she was. Shipping was pretty fast so no complaints there. My daughter was super excited when her package finally came. The box was kind of a pain to open and of course there's all those plastic tabs and such to take apart to finally get the doll out. She's very cute and the swimsuit and mermaid tail seem pretty well made. I'm not digging the ribbon ties at the top though. That means instead of my daughter being able to dress and undress the doll, I have to do it. Not a major problem though. Reading other reviews, I think we probably won't be putting her in the water. I don't want a moldy doll stinking up my house if I can't get all the water out of her head. If she wants to change her hair color, we'll probably just dip her head in cold water or stick her in the fridge. Now my daughter wants the other Lalaloopsy mermaid so Sand E can have a "friend". Lucky for her she's got a birthday coming up!
on September 26, 2014
My daughter really wanted this mermaid doll, but we had to put off buying her for quite a while because of her $26.99 price tag -- too high! Was happy to finally find her on Amazon for a better price.
on December 24, 2014
I was confused when this arrived in the mail because her hair was already the colour it was supposed to change to in water. After much frustration and googling I realized that it was because the hair changes to blue in the cold and reverts back to the purple hair in heat. Obviously my daughter won't be taking ice baths so we'll have to put it in cold water prior to the bath so the warm bath water will change the hair colour. I have no idea why they would make a doll whose hair changed colour in cold water?? Also: there is no design on her hair like in the picture. Despite all this I know my daughter will love it when she opens it on christmas (although it is giant...not sure where I'm going to store it in the tub!)
on August 9, 2014
Great lalaloopsy. It's just disappointing that the hair color doesn't change unless it's plunged in ice cold water. The swim suit arms are tie/on as well which is more difficult to put back on after it's taken off. The head also drains very slowly as the hole for drainage is only as small as the tip of a pencil. It's well loved still but probably won't be a bath toy as it was originally intended to be.
on April 2, 2016
Ready for some fun with this 4-piece play set? You can join Sand in some splashing fun in the water, Magically reveal the purple shapes on her hair using water, or learn how to piss her pink blowfish! She loves to transform from a girl to a mermaid! There's also a bathing suit and a mermaid costume so she can transform from a girl to a mermaid!