Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,417 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,544 reviews
on August 20, 2012
The Peek-a-Boo Forest book (designed for ages 6m+) is very cute. Has very bright colors, and peek-a-boo flaps that lift away on each page to reveal a cute animal (e.g. move the tree to see the moose, move the leaf to see the owl, etc.). There are five two-page spreads - each asking "Who is hiding behind the [tree or whatever]?" on the lefthand side, then revealing an animal beneath a crinkly flap on the righthand side. The featured animals are a moose, an owl, a bear family, a raccoon, and a beaver. The front cover also features a bird with a raised, fuzzy, crinkly face. Between the bright colors, the repetitive peek-a-boo activity, and the simple text, this seems very age-appropriate for my 6mo old. And more importantly, he agrees - he loves it!

Note that these books are designed for different ages (the ones targeting older babies have a bit more of a storyline, etc.). Here are the guidelines for all of the different books in the series as given on the packaging:
0m+ Panda's Pals
12m+ Captain Calamari's Treasure Hunt
12m+ Baby on the Go
18m+ Counting Zoo
18m+ Captain Calamari's Color Adventure
33 comments| 892 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2015
This book is adorable, colors are great and baby loves the crunchy sounds!! HOWEVER, I think the book has been mistakenly sewn together as four of the pages do not match the pop outs and one page was entirely upside down. Very disappointed as this was a gift. :( Hopefully a replacement can be issued.
review image review image
on July 14, 2016
Essentially there are two types of baby cloth books - those that promote a strong storyline and those that offer different textures for a tactile experience. The reason this Lamaze soft book is number 1 is its unique combination of both a cute engaging story paired with its various different textures. The story is a simple one but with bright illustrations and its rhyming the story is engaging. Each page has a crinkly flap with the hidden animal. The cover has soft fur covering the owl.
There are other books with mirrors and such but none of them contain a readable story. On the other hand there are more engaging stories like the Hungry Caterpillar but definitely not worth it as a soft book (might as well just get the whole book at that point).
on April 26, 2016
I knew this was the toy/book for my child as soon as I read the description. She already had an obsession with a stuffed animal with crinkle ears, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was right. This book is very colorful and fun to read too (I bought the peekaboo version). This book was a bit bigger than I was imagining, this wasn't really a negative or a positive to me. I washed this before giving it to my 5.5 month old because I knew it would immediately end up in her mouth. I know the directions said not to, but I washed it with All Free and Clear in cold water on gentle and air dried. It held up just fine, but I still don't intend on washing it again unless absolutely necessary. She really doesn't care about what's behind the flaps at the moments, she just cares that the flaps crinkle when touched and feels good on her gums. Still the book is a decent read as far as baby books go, I have certainly read WAY worse. I'm sure as she gets bigger she'll really enjoy the interactive story much more.
on August 12, 2014
The book is very cute, there are 5 pages of "peek-a-boo" flaps covering various animals. Each page has a crinkle sound when touched which is great for keeping young ones attention. The front cover has a plus 3-D owl head which also crinkles.

Here are my complaints:
the peek-a-boo cover for the last page of the book where it asks "who built this dam.." did not even remotely cover the beaver. Ok; so my 6 month old doesn't really understand that the beaver should be covered before the flap comes down to reveal it, but I do! The flap was sown too low, I corrected this by cutting out the page, using some red ribbon to reline the bottom of the cut out and then resewed it back into place properly.
Next, the back of the book gives play ideas, one is to "make the sounds of each animal you see in the book". The animals in the book are owl, moose, bear, raccoon, and beaver. I might just be really dumb when it comes to animal sounds, but how do you make moose, bear, raccoon, and beaver sounds?
Overall, cute book very colorful and my baby does like chewing on it:)
on March 11, 2016
I bought this for my first grandchild at Christmas 2016. She was 4 months old at the time. She absolutely loved it when she first saw it -- she loved the colors and the crinkly sounds the pages make, and of course -- as all babies will do -- she loved putting the 3-D velvet, colorful beak of the bird on the cover, in her mouth. My little Abigail is now 7 months old and this book continues to be one of her favorites!
on April 10, 2016
this is currently one of my sons favorite toys!!! he loves the crinkle it makes!! I read the story to him while he plays with the leaves on it. We love it!
review image review image review image
on March 18, 2015
When I saw the huge number of overwhelmingly positive reviews for this particular Lamaze book (the Peek-a-Boo Forest one), I actually hesitated, thinking that surely at least some of the reviews must be fake. Then, I made the rounds of cloth books on Amazon, and kept coming back to this one. With my then six-month-old trying to put every book we own in his mouth, I wanted him to have a book that was actually safe for that purpose, along with providing something fun for him to listen to, and look at. So, I got the book, read it with him a few times, and waited for him to fall in love with it that way so many reviewers seemed to proclaim in their 5-star glowing reviews. (Look at some of these reviews--you'd think this book should win a Pulitzer!)
Well. A few weeks went by, then a few more. And then suddenly (did Lamaze send my baby a text via the iPhone case my baby has commandeered? I'm not sure :))--it was like a light bulb went on in my little guy's head. And for the last few weeks (he's now 8 months old), this book haas been a clear favorite. He eats it (of course)--but he's also started really interacting with it and it's so fun to see! He lights up when he sees the plush 3D owl on the front (hint to Tomy/Lamaze product development folks--make an owl plush to go with this book-I'd get one in a heartbeat). Once he's done saying hi to his owl pal, he starts flipping the crinkly pages. And sometimes just this will keep him happily amused for several minutes at a time. (On a recent 45-minute trip via public transportation, this book was all he wanted to keep him happy and entertained.)

So that's the independent play bit. If I'm right next to him, though, these days he will look at the book, hit it a few times, and say "da!da!da!" in a very significant way. Which is clearly my cue to read the book. At this point, every "peek-a-boo!" elicits big grins--my take is he knows what's coming and loves it. Like others have commented, the rhymes are cute and catchy (my 7 year old could recite them verbatim after just a few reads with her baby brother), and major points to Lamaze for mixing it up a bit with both familiar animals (the bear) and off-the-beaten (forest) path ones (a moose? A beaver? Cool!). The colors on each cloth crinkly page are vibrant, and I love that each two-page spread has another animal or insect to find (a ladybug, a frog, a fish, fireflies, etc). So basically, this book is fantastic and probably SHOULD win a baby Pulitzer.
Only three (minor) points that I feel the need to point out (maybe Lamaze can modify future "editions" accordingly):
1. The beaver on the last page is barely hidden by the flap. I've taken to altering the rhyme to read "peek a boo! It's the NOT WELL HIDDEN beaver!" I mean really. How this dam-building, achieving beaver plans lo survive to enjoy his achievement is beyond me. :)
2. It'd be lovely if some pages crinkled and others made different sounds. Not sure how feasible that is but a thought. My baby clearly doesn't mind at all--it's just his perfectionist mother (me, using my husband's Amazon login) being nit picky.
3. Again possibly over ambitious but maybe a mirror at the end or some textures for baby to feel within the pages? Just to add one more level of battery- and screen-free interactivity.

But overall, as I wrote above, this book is worth its crinkly weight in gold. I've since gotten the "Captain Calamari " (stashed away for an upcoming trip) and am considering the firefly one (since we own the firefly stroller toy), but I hesitate because I just don't know if these other books will be as loved.

Bottom line--go get this book. If your baby takes a bit to warm up to it, don't despair--I suspect you will soon find that your kiddo, like mine, will fall in love with it. :)
on January 30, 2016
Arrived with ripped binding, which I noticed while lightly cleaning with paper towel and mild soap before even giving to kid. returned.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 7, 2017
Much better than the few other soft books we picked up. Colorful, repetitive, rhyming, and each flap that loved crinkly noise. They give you enough to ease into it for younger kids and enough to talk about as they get older.

It's still not perfect and I expected a better quality and brighter pictures.

PROS:
- Great rhymes
- Crinkly noise

CONS:
- The picture of the bear shows three bears. Yet the noun used is singular.
- The start of each sentence isn't capitalized.
- The last page breaks the pattern ending in an exclamation and not a question.
- Plastic parts come out of pages (see photos) Choke hazard!!!
- Feels like clothes, not a book, pages might be a little bit harder.
- Pages are not bright enough.
- My daughter loves books but doesn't pay any attention to this one.