Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,411 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,538 reviews
on August 20, 2012
The Peek-a-Boo Forest book (designed for ages 6m+) is very cute. Has very bright colors, and peek-a-boo flaps that lift away on each page to reveal a cute animal (e.g. move the tree to see the moose, move the leaf to see the owl, etc.). There are five two-page spreads - each asking "Who is hiding behind the [tree or whatever]?" on the lefthand side, then revealing an animal beneath a crinkly flap on the righthand side. The featured animals are a moose, an owl, a bear family, a raccoon, and a beaver. The front cover also features a bird with a raised, fuzzy, crinkly face. Between the bright colors, the repetitive peek-a-boo activity, and the simple text, this seems very age-appropriate for my 6mo old. And more importantly, he agrees - he loves it!

Note that these books are designed for different ages (the ones targeting older babies have a bit more of a storyline, etc.). Here are the guidelines for all of the different books in the series as given on the packaging:
0m+ Panda's Pals
12m+ Captain Calamari's Treasure Hunt
12m+ Baby on the Go
18m+ Counting Zoo
18m+ Captain Calamari's Color Adventure
33 comments| 890 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2011
My baby is 7 months old and he's learning to sit while trying to grab whatever in front of him and put it in his mouth. I bought this book because I wanted to introduce him to a concept of "book" while at the same time let him play or chew on it.
So far, my baby likes this book. He really gets entertained by the different color pages (there are 5 pages), crinkly material and short sentences. Material is really nice, easy to clean - I just toss in the washing machine along w/ all the baby clothes. The thing I like the most about Lamaze is the size; This book is larger than usual cloth book (larger font size as well). So, very nice for clumsy baby hands and developing eyes. At first I thought the book is pretty expensive however after receiving this book in the mail, I think it's worth the price. I even ordered another one of different story.
0Comment| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2011
Soft, colorful book with crinkly peek-a-boo pages. My 3.5 month old hasn't been interested in too many of his toys yet, but he did take to this book immediately! While reading I can see his interest in the colors and the crinkly noise the peek-a-boo pages make. The book is light enough for him to hold and he enjoys putting the pages in his mouth. Cute book and I'm glad he liked it!

Update: 9/12/11
I've washed this book twice so far and no fading or changes! Baby is now 5.5 months and still loves the Peek-A-Boo Forest. In fact, we don't even need the book to entertain him. We just recite the peek-a-boo rhymes whenever baby is down in the dumps (aka: crying in the car) and he perks right up, smiling/giggling at each peek-a-boo mention :)
on December 30, 2015
This book is adorable, colors are great and baby loves the crunchy sounds!! HOWEVER, I think the book has been mistakenly sewn together as four of the pages do not match the pop outs and one page was entirely upside down. Very disappointed as this was a gift. :( Hopefully a replacement can be issued.
review image review image
on April 26, 2016
I knew this was the toy/book for my child as soon as I read the description. She already had an obsession with a stuffed animal with crinkle ears, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was right. This book is very colorful and fun to read too (I bought the peekaboo version). This book was a bit bigger than I was imagining, this wasn't really a negative or a positive to me. I washed this before giving it to my 5.5 month old because I knew it would immediately end up in her mouth. I know the directions said not to, but I washed it with All Free and Clear in cold water on gentle and air dried. It held up just fine, but I still don't intend on washing it again unless absolutely necessary. She really doesn't care about what's behind the flaps at the moments, she just cares that the flaps crinkle when touched and feels good on her gums. Still the book is a decent read as far as baby books go, I have certainly read WAY worse. I'm sure as she gets bigger she'll really enjoy the interactive story much more.
on July 14, 2016
Essentially there are two types of baby cloth books - those that promote a strong storyline and those that offer different textures for a tactile experience. The reason this Lamaze soft book is number 1 is its unique combination of both a cute engaging story paired with its various different textures. The story is a simple one but with bright illustrations and its rhyming the story is engaging. Each page has a crinkly flap with the hidden animal. The cover has soft fur covering the owl.
There are other books with mirrors and such but none of them contain a readable story. On the other hand there are more engaging stories like the Hungry Caterpillar but definitely not worth it as a soft book (might as well just get the whole book at that point).
review image
on August 12, 2014
The book is very cute, there are 5 pages of "peek-a-boo" flaps covering various animals. Each page has a crinkle sound when touched which is great for keeping young ones attention. The front cover has a plus 3-D owl head which also crinkles.

Here are my complaints:
the peek-a-boo cover for the last page of the book where it asks "who built this dam.." did not even remotely cover the beaver. Ok; so my 6 month old doesn't really understand that the beaver should be covered before the flap comes down to reveal it, but I do! The flap was sown too low, I corrected this by cutting out the page, using some red ribbon to reline the bottom of the cut out and then resewed it back into place properly.
Next, the back of the book gives play ideas, one is to "make the sounds of each animal you see in the book". The animals in the book are owl, moose, bear, raccoon, and beaver. I might just be really dumb when it comes to animal sounds, but how do you make moose, bear, raccoon, and beaver sounds?
Overall, cute book very colorful and my baby does like chewing on it:)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 7, 2017
Much better than the few other soft books we picked up. Colorful, repetitive, rhyming, and each flap that loved crinkly noise. They give you enough to ease into it for younger kids and enough to talk about as they get older.

It's still not perfect and I expected a better quality and brighter pictures.

PROS:
- Great rhymes
- Crinkly noise

CONS:
- The picture of the bear shows three bears. Yet the noun used is singular.
- The start of each sentence isn't capitalized.
- The last page breaks the pattern ending in an exclamation and not a question.
- Plastic parts come out of pages (see photos) Choke hazard!!!
- Feels like clothes, not a book, pages might be a little bit harder.
- Pages are not bright enough.
- My daughter loves books but doesn't pay any attention to this one.
on April 10, 2016
this is currently one of my sons favorite toys!!! he loves the crinkle it makes!! I read the story to him while he plays with the leaves on it. We love it!
review image review image review image
on June 4, 2015
Peek-a-Boo Forest was my daughter's favorite book for a long time. At 10 months she still loves to reveal each animal and turn the pages. She never got into Shine a Light Freddie even though she loved playing with the associated dangly toy in her baby gym when she was smaller. She likes the character just not the story. I recommend getting the companion toys if you have a little one that is 2 months to 6 months,

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.