Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lamaze Clip & Go Stretch The Giraffe
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on May 12, 2008
A Personal Warning to all who have this baby toy by Lamaze. (Stretch The Giraffe)
PLEASE READ!!

I LOVED this giraffe..this thing is the cutest toy ever and I had placed this on my wish list for my baby shower last May. Well..I ended up receiving the giraffe from a good friend of mine for my baby shower like I had wanted. My son had only played with it maybe twice since he's been born, so it's still pretty brand new.

My son is 10 months old now, and we just moved to a new house last week, so I re introduced him to stretch yesterday, (still in super new condition) and he had been sitting in his highchair playing with him, chewing and biting on him as most babies will do with their toys. It's to be expected.

I was upstairs unpacking, my son was in his highchair next to my husband while he washed dishes when my son started choking!!

He was choking on the white stuffing inside the toys foot! He had managed to chew the thing until it became unstitched at the seams and that's when the stuffing began to fill his mouth. He must have swallowed a majority of what he had in his mouth. Needless to say, it was a frightening moment for all of us!!

UGH! I am just so disappointed and now concerned for anyone else's children who may have this toy!

Upon close inspection of this toy after the fact, I noticed that the stitching is very poor. Not nearly strong enough to withstand the mouth of a teething baby! I noted other parts of the giraffes seams and stitching where it has signs of also beginning to become unstitched!

The very worst part is the fact that had my son gone un noticed and not attended to right away, he could have very well choked completely, or the round small plastic squeaker (also inside the same foot he opened) could have also come out and easily become lodged inside his throat! In fact there are multiple "perfectly sized pieces" including a small round ball rattle, a more flat circular shaped rattle and the disc shaped squeaker (the one my son almost managed to get out) inside each foot. Again..they are very poorly secured inside the giraffe and are a major choking hazard! I hate to think of how many babies go to bed with this toy and are possibly left alone with it when they wake up in the morning or after a nap. Parent unsuspecting, because these toys made by learning curve are supposed to be designed with safety in mind. Safety being what Learning Curves number one priority is. I would have never have thought to check those details since I was convinced this toy or any toy designed by a big name baby toy company was undoubtedly safe to let my baby play with.

This toy needs to be recalled ASAP! I have contacted Learning Curve /Lamaze RC2 department regarding this serious issue, and Stretch the Giraffe is on his way back to them for inspection. I have no doubt they will issue a recall. If I were you...and just to warn parents ahead of time..please refrain from buying stretch for now! Or if you have him already, take him away from your baby...especially babies with teeth!

In an effort to make me, the consumer happy, they offered me a new toy and that's on it's way now, but in reality, is that really enough? Or does that make up for the fact that we watched our little son choke and go through that trauma? Imagining the scenario if we had not been right there to help him...would the new toy suffice? It's horrifying imagining the things that COULD have happened and Thank God that didn't.

In addition I am going to be weary of the new toy and I am not even sure he will play with it until I inspect every inch of it, and now I need to sit with him every second while he plays with in fear that some little thing could go wrong in a toy that has been deemed safe from a reputable company I have grown to love and trust. I just believe this is an honest mistake but a serious issue that was grossly overlooked. I know that Learning Curve will do the right thing in the end.

I will never send my son to bed nor leave him to play with ANY toy, stuffed animal, or object ever again for fear that he will wake up, be alone and begin innocently teething while I am still asleep, and something similar to this may happen. It's a good thing that wasn't the case this time.
Please parents...check the babies toys! You just never know!!

Forward this to all your friends who you think may have this toy, may buy it, are expecting a baby, have infants and small children.

-Tiffany
2929 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2007
My 4 month old loves it, and has loved it since he was around 3 months old. I hang it from his bassinet, the toy bar on his stroller/car seat, and the toybar on his swing. It always catches his interest and as he's growing he's discovering new things about it. That the feet make sounds or feel crunchy, etc. It's great to watch him engage a toy like this. It's the first one that he had interest in, and the longest-lasting.
on August 2, 2007
We had one of these before and it was my sons favorite toy. It got lost and if anyone said 'giraffe' he would start looking around for it. We bought a replacement and he is as happy as ever! The colors, the noises, he loves it all!
I just love all these bright and colorful soft body toys for babies.
They help with baby coordination as when they reach for something and finally grab it, they are rewarded with some sort of sound (rattles, chimes, squeaks, crinkles and so on). Even his legs stretch!

On Tomy then giraffes neck is a teething ring. He is just full of surprises!
There is also a link on the toy so you can hang him up when you take him places.

Great stuff! Please, click on "helpful" if my review was to you and THANKS!! :)
on May 27, 2015
I already had Freddie the Firefly and Jacque The Peacock so I debated about getting this one. Freddie was his first and a massive hit. I take it with us everywhere we go and my lil man is entertained in his car rides and even falls asleep with it. Jacque was a dissappointment and the lil man didn't really take to it so I was between get this one or another firefly. Glad I got this one. It's quite long due to its dangling legs and my son loves to chew her feet. Freddie has got competition now! ;)
on March 24, 2016
Lamaze rattles are the cutest rattles ever! I've been pleased with every one that I've ordered! They are colorful, functional, and over the top cute. PLUS, babies can't resist them! I used several of these to make a giant baby mobile for a baby shower and everyone LOVED it.
on January 11, 2015
The little gadgets such as the dangling legs, the plastic loops around the neck and the bells on the feet, really make for a variety of amusement for a baby. This was the very first gift I got for my nephew. (when he was 6 weeks old) it took him a few more weeks to realize it's brilliance. but it was well worth it, seeing him with his favorite toy now!
on October 1, 2013
I gave this 3 stars b/c my son has never had interest in it. I hung it on his car seat when he was a couple months old and it caught his eye immediately. He's almost a year now and the last several months it's just gotten in our way. He never pulls on the legs. I kinda expected them to retract or do something, but they don't. He never grabs it and plays with it. The thing is huge. I guess so he can reach it. But as I mentioned, it's just in the way more than anything. It IS cute. I wished he had liked it. But I'd probably opt for something smaller and that makes noise or something, if there's a next time.
on July 11, 2016
I am pretty sure this is a counterfeit giraffe. Purchased this for a gift and it looks a bit smaller and thinner than the authentic one I have. It was half the price of the other ones so if that is a factor for you, this one will work just fine.
on July 25, 2014
I was so surprised by the busyness of Lamaze toys that I thought maybe they're on to something I don't understand and maybe they are but frankly I think this is ugly and baby can't get her teeth on those rings because they're just not accessible. I know it has a lot of textures and sounds but my babies only like it a little.

See 1 answered question