Truck Season Automotive Beauty Summer Reading Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 21, 2016
Summary: The same Land before Time I remember watching as a kid. Lots of sentimental value for me.

The Good:
- Same land before time that I remember watching as a kid.
- It doesn’t seem like this was digitally re-mastered in any way.
- This movie is the perfect length for watching with my toddler son (about 1 hour).
- The story of “Land Before Time” has a great emotional arc to it, and it is easy to get invested into the characters.

The Bad:
- It might be a *little* scary for kids the age of my toddler son, though he was really into the movie. Though maybe a kid that watches television more often than my son might be able to differentiate between what is happening on the screen and what is happening in real life a little bit better than my kid.
Context: We normally don’t watch television at all during the week, and generally only watch a movie on the weekend in the evening after dinner.
- My wife hates Sara the triceratops, personally I have no issue with Sara as somehow I have associated that character with a childhood friend of mine in preschool and elementary school that was by the same name.

Other Thoughts:
- So… I remember watching this as a kid on VHS long before my family ever owned a computer, and before my family was basically homeless (we lived at my grandparents, in a barn, rented cabin, and in a tent for a while after living at this house). I remember sitting maybe 5 feet in front of the tube TV with the volume fairly low (sister and brother napping) to watch this movie at that first house I remember growing up in. Each time I see “land before time” it takes me back to that moment, it was fun watching this with my son.

Demographics: I am 29 years old, male, live in Minnesota USA. My son is 2.5 years old, my daughter is 6 months old.
10 people found this helpful
on March 5, 2015
This movie is a Family Classic, I watched this movie so many times as a child I've lost count, and I will love to one day watch this my children till they lose track. I remember running around the yard during the Fall season with all the leaves changing looking for that one last green leaf. Yep yep yep... this is a great movie, and anything create by Don Bluth is a work of art. That man is my hero.
review image
14 people found this helpful
on December 29, 2017
I LOVE this movie, but the quality of this Blu-ray was a billion times worse than my old VHS. It was incredibly grainy, blurry, in some scenes there were literally doubles of the characters. It was so bad words don't even do justice to the horrendousness that is this Blu-ray. I honestly would have turned it off, but my dog was curled up on my lap and I didn't want to move her so I suffered through. Whoever put this version of film out ought to be sued. What a joke they've made of a fantastic movie.
4 people found this helpful
on October 2, 2017
This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and in my top three favorite childhood movies. The few good movies Don Bluth made easily puts him in league with Walt Disney.
This movie is about the journey Little Foot the "longneck" and the friends he meets go on to reach the fabled "Great Valley," where all the subsequent movies take place. There there are no predators like the Tyrannosaurus that can attack them, and they live in relative peace with eachother. It is a tearful journey no doubt, but well worth the watch even for adults I believe.
on April 21, 2018
Lovers of dinosaurs and animation must own this film.
Its themes of loss and despair is so unique and still to THIS DAY hasn't been topped in kids/family films. The perfect gateway to give children the inevitable reality that things WILL get dark, times WILL get tough, but NEVER lose those you love in you're heart and those who presently share their love with you and have that motivate you to see better days that WILL come.

I do hope they'll release a copy with bonus features like a mini documentary, deleted scenes, rough animatics or concept art.
And I think the contrast is too bright and it makes the colors to washed out. But thats just my TV I think.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I must have watched this so many countless times as a small child. Every theme in here resonates with growing up. There is death, life, love, comedy, and everything in between. An all time classic matched by few films.

Unlike the Secret of Nimh, this release is in very good shape, and the resulting bluray might blow your mind if all you have are memories of the VHS. The audio is finally uncompressed and sounds crystal clear. They did a wonderful job with this one. A first rate recommendation.
on December 29, 2015
I just want people to know what the quality of the picture will look like. I was unsure if I should purchase because of the reviews, but I took the plunge. I will let you know that this is not a "restored" Blu-ray version of the movie, like most of us are used to seeing with all of Disney's re-releases of old classics. It's "remastered," which means that it's been cleaned up digitally, but it's not the sharp HD quality most people expect with the label "Blu-ray." I was very discouraged at the start of the film, because the first few scenes are very fuzzy looking. A constant grain follows through most of the film, and the colors seem off at times. However, I found that other shots were surprisingly crisp and beautifully colored. So this Blu-ray is a bit of a mixed bag. I would have liked a full restoration (and this film definitely deserves it), but this worked ok for me. Just don't buy this expecting restoration quality. The beautiful artwork on the cover is deceiving :)

Of course, the movie itself is incredible. I remember watching this as a kid and purchased out of nostalgia. My brother and I, who are now both grown adults, watched this last night and had a grand time. I almost cried at two separate occasions. It is a beautiful film.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
The first Land Before Time is a classic. Unlike kids movies today, this movie is willing to go dark and pull at the viewer's heartstrings. Littlefoot's mom dying still affects me to this day. The characters are unique and believable and the animation has a real gritty look to it. The sequels practically ruined the memory of an actually good movie.
on February 7, 2014
First, the star rating is not for the movie itself. I love this movie. I loved it growing up and it holds true today. Now that I have two children of my own I wanted to share it with them. They, too, now love this movie. My little dude runs around pretending he's a "sharp-tooth" and my daughter insists she's "Cera." It's great fun for all!

The quality of the DVD itself, man...that's another thing. This is categorically one of the worst DVD transfers I have EVER seen. The DVD was apparently released back in 2003, I have other DVDs released in 2003 and they're of considerably better quality so I know the technology was there. It's blotchy and grainy, the light varies greatly from scene to scene. If I had to guess zero attention was paid to transferring this to DVD. It's a shame, too. I'll play cartoons that were originally made in the 30s, 40s, etc., and they're beautifully restored.

In fact, out of curiosity, I dragged out and dusted off the old VHS player. I threw in my VHS copy of this movie circa the late 80s. To my surprise (and consternation) the VHS actually looked BETTER than the DVD!

So, long story short, this is one of the first ratings I actually struggled on. Usually it's pretty black and white. Unfortunately for the wonderful movie itself, it's been done a disservice by the studio who decided to put it out like this. It really is a shame.
on February 6, 2016
This touching adventure is a tour de force for children of all ages, as it alternately tugs your heartstrings, then has you biting your nails.
The adventure follows an unlikely alliance between five young dinosaurs making their way westward from a dying terrain to a plush Great Valley. During their journey, they encounter dangers from the Sharptooth (T-Rex), as well as a power struggle for leadership between Littlefoot and a proud, contentious triceratops, Sarah.
This heartwarming story tenderly incorporates the bonds of friendship with the trials they must work to overcome, accentuated with a musical score that is just so spot on!
Without doubt, Don Bluth's Land Before Time is a timeless classic that belongs right up there with those of Walt Disney.
2 people found this helpful