Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Landlord's Legal Kit For Dummies Paperback – June 23, 2014
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
- Understand the rights and responsibilities of residential landlords
- Get up to speed on residential property law
- Grasp tenant rights and avoid legal ramifications from renters
Your go-to guide to residential rental law
Success as a landlord means more than finding residents, collecting rent, and performing repairs and maintenance. Based on expert, hands-on experience, this friendly guide leads you through the legal minefield of owning and managing residential rental properties so you can comply with federal, state, and local laws—and steer clear of costly consequences.
- The keys to success — get started with the fundamentals, from protecting your legal assets and insuring your new property to hiring—or firing—a property manager
- Take on new residents — grasp the legal aspects of advertising, set your property’s rents, approve or reject applicants, and compose your lease or rental agreement
- Honor your duties — maintain habitable housing, minimize injuries, eliminate hazardous environmental conditions, and protect residents and workers from criminal acts
- The Tax Man — get up to speed on current tax laws, keep track of income and expenses, maximize deductions to minimize taxes, and keep impeccable financial records
- Learn about leases — find out how to handle cotenancies, sublets, and assignments, as well as ways to terminate leases by legal means
Open the book and find:
- Contracts, forms, and other documents
- How to avoid and protect against claims commonly filed against landlords
- Legal obligations that landlords need to uphold for their residents
- The lowdown on the Fair Housing Act
- Applicant screening questionnaires and antidiscrimination policies
- How to handle breach of lease situations and evictions
- Ways to establish a security deposit policy
About the Author
Laurence C. Harmon, JD, is the CEO of HARMONLAW LLC, specializing in apartment-related legal and property management consulting.
Robert S. Griswold, MBA, MSBA, is a successful real estate investor and property manager with a large portfolio of residential and commercial rental properties.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?