Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on October 1, 2012
I try to read all of Rob Sheppard's books. I find him to be a very approachable author. By that, I mean he does not make me feel like I have to spend thousands of dollars to get a decent picture. One of the best parts of this book is the description of his gear. While I often read books and blogs where the author recommends I spend a mint, Rob Sheppard's gear is so humble it really makes photography seem more a product of the photographer than his wallet. He also knows what he is talking about in terms of getting good landscape photographs. This is the first book I have read in this 'Snapshot to Great Shot' series and I am sure I will read a few more. The wildlife and exposure editions seem like they will be interesting to me. I like the format with an image or two closely analyzed as an example of each topic. So, I recommend this book highly and, if you like it, find and read more of Rob Sheppard's work.
on March 7, 2015
This book, like those in Peachpit’s “From Snapshots to Great Shots” series, is geared to the beginner. It contains relatively basic information on equipment (i.e., importance of tripod in landscape photography, overviews of types of digital camera and formats, etc.), composition (i.e., rule of two-thirds, etc.), exposure and depth-of-field. Any photographer over and above the beginner would have heard everything mentioned with regard to these a million times over. Thus the book, for anyone over and above the beginner would not find too much value in the book.

A few important facts that also need to be mentioned about this book is that it covers a few topics that are rarely touched upon by books on landscape photography. One such topic, rather surprisingly, is how to make use of the sky. Few books on landscape photography touch upon this. The book also has chapters geared to using HDR photography specifically in situations geared to landscape photography, black and white landscape photography and computer fine tuning specifically geared to landscape photography. Very few books geared toward the beginning landscape photographer cover these topics.

The book does have one problem and that is that it does not emphasize (or even state for that matter) the very important fact that early sunsets and sunrises produce lighting that tends to be, in general, fantastic for landscape photographers. No examples or discussion is provided of using lighting during these so important photogenic parts of the day.

In short, a very good book that the beginning photographer in the field would find of quite some value but that more experienced photographers would not. Hence four star for the beginner and two for the experienced.
Enthusiast: Photographyon January 4, 2016
I am very new to photography and everyone told me that it didn't matter what camera you have if you don't know how to compose a picture. After reading through this book, I spent a week in Colorado. So far, everyone has been impressed with the landscape pictures I got. I can tell a huge difference in the way I look at an area to photograph after reading this book. I still have a long way to go but this book will get you off to a great start.
on August 16, 2012
I took a number of classes at Hennepin Technical Institute from Rob Sheppard when he was in Minnesota and loved his instructional method. This book furthers his wonderful instructional ability, being easy to understand and relate to in my own world. It is a refresher and new learning experience. Love the 'assignments' at the end of each chapter. Great book.
on May 7, 2017
Very nice book with great tips for landscape photography. Beginner and intermediate landscape photographers will be benefitted by reading the book.
on July 13, 2015
If you are just starting in photography, read a book on exposure and camera settings first then, you will be able to enjoy this book. This is one of the better written books on photography I have read. It is written to us weekend and vacation photographers who can't afford or don't want a ton of expensive equipment to lug around. Many of the example photos were shot with a point and shoot. The main " focus" of this book is photography, not equipment. Read this and take better pictures no matter what kind of camera you have.
on March 23, 2013
I'm re-reading this book again. Its both a refresher and a reference. It presents the material in non-techie language. The examples are real-world with lots of tips of what to look for and how to deal with what you find - all in simple to understand descriptions. This is one of only a few books that I"m very happy I purchased. Its one of my PRIMARY guides as I hopefully continue to improve my photography hobby! (I have already recommended this book to several others.)
on June 14, 2015
Clear, succinct and informative, just like Rob's other books. Helpful for photographers at all levels of experience, but especially for new enthusiasts and those with a little more experience.
on June 11, 2013
This is a good book for the beginner. It covers the basics quite well. I agree with practically everything in the book. However, I learned very little. I have done a fair amount of landscape photography and was hoping for some new insights.
on October 30, 2013
This book is ideal for beginners to experienced photographers. I liked the detailed information on how to get the perfect landscapes. This was easy to understand and I also liked the follow-up exercises. I only regret that I don't have the hard cover. It is harder to reference when you have to scroll through an iPad.